Tehri is a popular rice dish cooked with the chunks of potatoes. It is a popular main course item in the North Indian daily menu and cooked in every household. Sometimes this delicious rice preparation is also called Aloo Pulao. There are various ways to prepare this dish, some add seasonal vegetables, carrot chunks, green peas, etc. which makes the dish not only yummy but colorful too. Here is a basic recipe; but you can make variations to adjust to your taste buds.
Tehri and Raita
1. Basmati rice: ½ kg. soaked for 20 - 30 minutes
2. Oil: 3 to 4 tablespoon
3. Cardamom: 3 Nos. whole
4. Cloves: 3 Nos. whole
5. Black peppercorns: 10 Nos.
6. Cinnamon stick: 1 inch piece
7. Cumin seeds whole: ¾ tablespoon (optional)
8. Onion: 2 No. medium size, chopped
9. Ginger-garlic paste: ¾ tablespoon
10. Green Chilli: 2 - 3 Nos. chopped
11. Curry leaves: 10 to 12 Nos.
12. Red chilli powder: ½ tablespoon
13. Turmeric powder: ¼ tablespoon
14. Salt: to taste
15. Potatoes: 3 Nos. medium size, cut into chunks
16. Tomatoes: 2 Nos. chopped
17. Water: almost double the quantity of rice
18. Coriander leaves: 1 cup, chopped
Step by step method for easy cooking
Wash and soak rice in water for 20 – 30 minutes. Keep rest of the ingredients ready and handy.
In a rice pot, heat oil, add whole Garam Masala (ingredient No. 3 to 6), add cumin seeds (optional) and sauté for a minute. Then add onion and fry until golden brown. Now add ginger-garlic paste, green chilli, curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt (approximately 1 tablespoonful) and sauté them together for a minute. Now add one cup of water and when it boils add potato chunks and tomatoes and cook until potatoes are 90% done.
Now add rest of the water and bring to boiling point. Add rice to the boiling water and slow down the flame after two minutes. Add coriander leaves, mix only once (without breaking rice) and cover the rice pot. Let it cook on low flame, which might take approximately 10 minutes.
The Tehri or Aloo Pulao is now ready to serve! Transfer the preparation to serving plate, garnish and serve with any Raita. Indian pickle is also a good accompaniment for this delicious dish.
Tehri served in platter
Important and useful tips
1. Using chunks of carrot and some green peas would add to taste and color.
2. You may also add a 2 cubes of Maggi Chicken Stock for excellent result, but if doubt finding a Halal product you may avoid it.
3. You may also serve cucumber raita, Indian pickle or any gravy as accompaniment.
Tehri served with Raita