Bangalore, March 2: The birthday celebrations of a fifth standard student, Aniketan, went awry on Thursday as 30 of his classmates complained of uneasiness after eating chocolates distributed by him at the Vinayaka Vidyasamsthe at the Banappa Park premises here.
The students were immediately rushed to the Vani Vilas Hospital. Doctors treating them said they were out of danger. It was a suspected case of food poisoning.
BBMP health official Samiulla later raided the shop in Cubbonpet, from where the cholocates were brought. The samples were sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for examination.
According to Aniketan, his father had bought about 200 chocolates on Wednesday evening.
A resident of Cubbonpet, Aniketan took the same chocolates to school on Thursday morning and distributed them to his classmates around 11 am. Earlier, Aniketan distributed the same chocolates to all teachers at the staffroom.
“Later he came to the class and distributed the sweets to his classmates,” said C Vijayalakshmi, Principal of Vinayaka English Higher Primary school, opposite Bannappa Park in Cubbonpet.
Some of them kept the chocolates in their bags while some ate them. “S Srinivas, a student who ate the chocolate, complained that his tongue is burning. He was given water and within minutes, three others, R Geeta, Poojashree and Sneha complained of severe stomach pain,” Vijayalakshmi said.
Srinivas vomited in the bathroom. “The class teacher alerted me and when I visited the class, around 15 children complained of uneasiness,” she said.
Sensing something wrong with the chocolate, Vijayalakshmi asked other children not to eat the sweets and rushed 20 of them to a nearby BBMP health centre.
“The BBMP health officers asked us to take the children to Vani Vilas Hospital. As a precautionary measure, we shifted all the 30 to Vani Vilas Hospital in a school vehicle around 12 pm,” she said.