New Delhi (IANS) : One of three men sentenced to death for a 1996 bombing here that killed 13 people claimed Thursday that he was innocent and had been framed by a disgruntled police officer.
In a hand-written statement in English distributed to reporters at the court, Mohammad Naushad said he deserved to be acquitted but the judiciary had let him down.
“There was absolutely no oral and documentary evidence against me… Despite this, I have been left to rot in Tihar Jail for 14 years in order to satisfy the hurt ego of the (officer) who thereby ruined the life of my whole family including minor children.
“It is highly unfortunate that even the trial judge did not bother to exonerate me from the wrongful allegations despite knowing well that there is absolutely no iota of evidence against me.”
Naushad said he was linked to the Lajpat Nagar market bombing because the said officer had a grudge over a complaint he had filed against him.
He urged the “electronic and print media to highlight such injustices being done to Muslims”.