India's covid vaccination drive hit by glitches; people hesitant despite govt's assurance

Agencies
January 18, 2021

COVID-19 Vaccination in India Today LIVE Updates: 'A Day of Tremendous  Relief': Harsh Vardhan on COVID Vaccine Drive

New Delhi, Jan 18: India’s Covid-19 vaccination hasn't got off to a smooth start, with the numbers after two days remaining low due to a combination of factors ranging from technical glitches in the Co-WIN software to a certain degree of vaccine hesitancy among recipients.

On Sunday, more than 17,000 people received the vaccine at 553 sites in six states — four of them in south India. The maximum number of sessions were held in Andhra Pradesh (308) followed by Tamil Nadu (165), Karnataka (64) and Kerala (1). The other two states are Arunachal Pradesh (14) and Manipur (1).

Going by the government’s plan of doing 100 vaccinations at each session site, nearly 55,300 persons should have been vaccinated on Sunday. Instead, only 17,072 individuals got the shots – a shortfall of 69%. Similarly the deficiency on day one was 38% as 2,07,229 persons received the jab instead of 3,35,200.

“Vaccination is not mandatory. While a state may schedule 100 vaccinations on a site it may end up vaccinating either 100 or only 10 at that site,” a spokesperson from the Union Health Ministry told DH on Sunday.

A senior health ministry official said states had been advised to do the Covid-19 vaccinations four days in a week to ensure that the routine immunisation services are not disturbed.

Andhra Pradesh is the only state that decided to carry out the vaccination drive six days in a week because of a dedicated cadre, whereas most of the states stuck to the four-day schedule. Some smaller states and, surprisingly, Uttar Pradesh will undertake the drive only twice a week.

"These are early days. The technical glitches of Co-WIN and coordination mechanism need to be fine-tuned to enhance the capacity,” Giridhar Babu, an epidemiologist at the Public Health Foundation of India, observed.

Manohar Agnani, Additional Secretary, Health Ministry, said that in the first two days 447 adverse events (AEFI or adverse event following immunisation) were reported but only three required hospital stay.

Two persons, who were admitted at Northern Railway hospital in Delhi and All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi, have been discharged while a third person is under observation at AIIMS, Rishikesh, and is doing fine.

On Saturday, Agnani admitted reports of technical glitches in Co-WIN software, but claimed that the issues had been resolved. However, the vaccination programme has been put on hold due to Co-WIN glitches in Mumbai while several sites across the country, including the National Capital Region, and places in Maharashtra also experienced technical issues with the software.

People's cautious approach are also contributing towards vaccine hesitancy. “There are apprehensions among the healthcare professionals and many are following a wait and watch approach,” said Oommen John, a senior public health researcher from the George Institute for Global Health, Delhi.

This view was echoed by B L Sherwal, medical director of Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi.

"There is a little bit of apprehension (about the vaccine). Also, people in India adopt a 'wait and watch' approach in important matters, be it purchasing a new car or an appliance. There is a need for creating more awareness and building confidence among people," said Sherwal.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
February 17,2021

mjakbar.jpg

New Delhi, Feb 17: A Delhi court on Wednesday acquitted journalist Priya Ramani in a defamation complaint filed by former Union Minister and BJP leader M J Akbar against sexual harassment charges levelled against him by the former during the #MeToo campaign.

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Ravindra Kumar Pandey let off Ramani in a judgment, saying the right of reputation can't be protected at the cost of the right to dignity and sexual abuse takes away dignity and self-confidence.

Having noted that the incident happened two decades ago, the court said that the society must understand the impact of sexual abuse and harassment on its victims and the social stigma attached with the allegations.

Maintaining that a woman has the right to put forward her grievances even after decades, the court referred to ancient texts, including Ramayana to point out 'Jatayu' came to protect Princess Sita.

The court had reserved its judgment in the matter on February 1. Akbar, a veteran journalist had to resign as Minister of State in External Affairs after Ramani made the allegations and published in 'Vogue India' on October 12, 2017.

He contended that he has never done anything to her and still she has intentionally put forward malicious, fabricated and salacious imputations to harm his reputation.

The court, however, rejected his complaint saying that even a man of social status can be a sexual harasser.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
February 16,2021

Bengaluru, Feb 16: Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa on Tuesday said that deputy commissioners had been given the authority to initiate action against affluent people who failed to return BPL cards voluntarily.

Speaking to media persons, after inspecting the ongoing airport project work at Sogane near Shivamogga on Tuesday, he asked undeserving people to return the cards at the earliest.

Replying to a query on demands made by various communities seeking reservation benefits, he said that the government would take suitable steps in this regard within the legal framework. The matter will be discussed in the cabinet meeting. He also said that the government will take a call on the issue cautiously.

On criticism from Opposition leaders' that ministers are fighting for reservation benefits for their respective communities, the Chief Minister said criticising the government is the duty of Opposition party leaders. He also said he is observing their remarks with keen attention.

He exuded confidence that Shivamogga airport project work would be completed in a year. It is being developed at a cost of Rs 384 crore to a specification that would allow aircraft such as the Airbus A320 to operate at the airport.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
February 20,2021

Image result for A gang of women robbed Dh280,000 from a non-resident Indian in Duba

Dubai, Feb 20: A gang of women robbed Dh280,000 from a non-resident Indian in Dubai after he was lured into a fake massage parlour, the Dubai Court of First Instance heard.

According to records, the 33-year-old Indian victim saw an offer for a massage session for Dh200 with pictures of beautiful girls promoting it. He contacted the number provided and went as directed to an apartment in the Al Refaa area of Dubai in November 2020.

“I saw four African women inside the apartment and gave them Dh200. They asked me to open my bank’s application [on my mobile phone] and transfer money. They threatened me with a knife at my throat and slapped me on the face,” said the victim on record. One of the women then took his credit card and withdrew Dh30,000 from an ATM. He was kept confined in the apartment for one day as the women transferred Dh250,000 from the victim’s bank account to other accounts.

“They allowed me to leave the apartment only after they took away my iPhone too. I alerted the bank and reported the incident to police,” added the victim.

According to Dubai Police, three Nigerian women were arrested from Sharjah after intensive investigations, while a fourth woman is still at large. “One of them admitted to luring the victim through the Tinder application, offering massage services and using pictures of beautiful women. They kept the victim locked up inside the apartment and wired the money from his account to different accounts outside the country,” said the policeman on record.

The three Nigerian defendants have been charged with robbery, issuing threats, keeping the victim forcefully confined inside an apartment and prostitution. The next hearing is scheduled for March 4.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.