With spike of 54,736 cases, India's COVID-19 tally crosses 17 lakh mark

Agencies
August 2, 2020

New Delhi, Aug 2: India's COVID-19 tally crossed the 17 lakh mark with 54,736 positive cases and 853 deaths reported in the last 24 hours.

"The total COVID-19 cases stand at 17,50,724 including 5,67,730 active cases, 11,45,630 cured/discharged/migrated and 37,364 deaths," said the Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry.

As per the data provided by the Health Ministry, Maharashtra -- the worst affected state from the infection -- has a total of 1,49,214 active cases and 15,316 deaths. A total of 4,31,719 coronavirus cases have been recorded in the state up to Saturday, as per the state health department.

Tamil Nadu has a total of 60,580 active cases and 4,034 deaths.

In Delhi, the total cases rose to 1,36,716, including 1,22,131 recovered/discharged/migrated cases and 3,989 deaths. There are 10,596 active cases in the national capital.

The total number of COVID-19 samples tested up to August 1 is 1,98,21,831 including 4,63,172 samples tested yesterday, said the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) on Sunday.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 13,2020

kamalamma.JPG

Bengaluru, Sept 13: A 105-year-old woman in Koppal district has successfully recovered from Covid-19, after undergoing treatment for the viral infection at her home. Kamalamma Linganagouda Hiregoudar hails from Katarki village in Koppal taluk.

According to official sources, as the elderly woman had a fever, she was made to undergo a test and the result came out positive last week. As the centenarian had no other health issues, also considering her refusal to go to hospital, she underwent treatment under home isolation at her son's residence. After undergoing treatment at home under the supervision of grandson, Srinivas Hyati, who is a Doctor by profession, Kamalamma has recovered and her test reports have come negative now.

Speaking to reporters, Kamalamma's grandson said he felt it was challenging considering her age, but as she had no other health issues, she was under normal treatment and his grandmother is now an inspiration for those who fear Covid-19. Though the elderly woman hesitated to take food, she was administered porridge and water, and medicine that was prescribed to her was limited. Till last evening, Koppal had reported a total of 8,802 Covid-19 cases, including 186 deaths and 6,870 discharges. As of September 12 evening, cumulatively 4.49 lakh positive cases have been confirmed in Karnataka, which includes 7,161 deaths and 3.44 lakh discharges.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
September 25,2020

HOOLTOILET.jpg

New Delhi, Sept 25: As part of a Right to Education project, Public sector units have claimed to have constructed 1.4 lakh toilets in government schools. But in a survey by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) almost 40% were found to be non-existent, partially constructed, or unused, reported The Hindu.

On Wednesday, in an audit report presented in Parliament, CAG said over 70% did not have running water facilities in the toilets, while 75% were not being maintained hygienically.

In September 2014, Ministry of Human Resource Development had launched Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan to meet the Right to Education Act’s mandate that all schools must have separate toilets for boys and girls.

There are around 10.8 lakh government schools across the country. Overall, more than 1.4 lakh toilets were built by 53 central public sector enterprises (CPSEs).

The audit by CAG conducted a physical survey of a sample of 2,695 toilets built by these companies in 15 States.

In the survey, CAG found out that CPSEs identified but did not construct 83. Another 200 toilets were reported to be constructed, but were non-existent, while 86 toilets were only partially constructed.

Another 691 toilets “were found not in use mainly due to lack of running water, lack of cleaning arrangements, damages to the toilets and other reasons like use of toilets for other purposes, toilets locked up, etc,” said the audit report.

99 schools had no functional toilets while 436 had only one functional toilet, out of the 1,967 co-educational schools surveyed.

It means that the objective of providing separate toilets for boys and girls was not fulfilled in 27% of the schools, said CAG.

To effectively change the behaviour of students, the project norms required the CPSEs to build toilets with running water and hand washing facilities, and to maintain the toilets for three to five years while charging the annual expenses to their CSR budgets.

The survey has found that 72% of constructed toilets had no running water facilities inside, while 55% had no hand washing facilities at all. The audit also noticed “cases of defective construction of toilets, non-provision of foundation/ramp/staircase and damaged/overflowed leach pit, which led to ineffective use of toilets,” read the report.

75% of toilets did not follow the norm for daily cleaning at least once a day. The survey found that 715 toilets were not being cleaned at all, while 1,097 were being cleaned with a frequency of twice a week to once a month. “Cases of non-provision of soap, bucket, cleaning agents and disinfectants in toilets and inadequate cleanliness of pathway were also noticed,” said the report.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 22,2020

nia.JPG

Bengaluru, Sept 22: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the investigations into the communal riots that rocked Bengaluru in August and have registered two cases.

An NIA statement said it took over the investigation on Monday following an order from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) asking the agency to probe two FIRs of arson and violence filed in connection with the incidents in Devarajeevana Halli and Kadugondana Halli police stations under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The first case is registered on the basis of the FIR 195/2020 dated August 12 at Devarajeevana Halli police station while the second case is based on the FIR 229/2020 filed on August 12 at Kadugondana Halli police station.

On August 11 night, the NIA said, more than 1,000 people had gathered in front of the house of Congress MLA Naveen Srinivas Murthy (Pulakeshi Nagar constituency) at Kavalbyrasandra in Bengaluru protesting against a derogatory Facebook post about Prophet Mohammed by his nephew Naveen.

SDPI Karnataka Secretary Muzamil Pasha had earlier called a meeting and directed the members of SDPI and Popular Front to "instigate the mob and incite violence", the agency claimed.

"The mob went on rampage in Devarajeevana Halli, Kadugondana Halli and Pulakeshi Nagar area under Bengaluru City. They attacked Devarajeevana Halli and Kadugondana Halli police stations and vandalized the property of police stations. including government and private vehicles parked in the police stations," it said.

The mob also attacked the house of the MLA before attacking the police stations. The NIA team, headed by an IG-rank officer, is camping at Bengaluru in connection with the investigation of these cases, the statement added.

The Centre had earlier informed the Karnataka High Court that it would take over the case.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.