Mangaluru, Jun 15: Apart from the 72 Indians who are expected to return home from Kuwait after cancellation of their visas, there are 53 more workers of the same company stranded in another labour camp.
The Indian embassy has received above information from the Kuwaiti authorities. It is suspected that the workers, hired for another company and sent to Kuwait, were later diverted to a blacklisted entity, Enasco.
The Public Authority of Manpower, Kuwait (PAM) told the Indian embassy that more workers had been trapped similarly in the job fraud and had sought help to return home along with the 72 other workers.
Sibi US, second secretary (labour) at the embassy, said that PAM had informed them that the 53 socalled Enasco workers had also been recruited as bike drivers. PAM has asked the embassy to hold talks with them too and ensure their safe return home.
Sibi said PAM is likely to take stringent action against the company stakeholders. The labour ministry back home is also helping the Indian embassy to bail out the Indian workers.
A source said all the workers had come to Kuwait together but fell apart after a group of 72 youths revolted against the company over non-payment of salary. “The remaining 53 workers left for another camp and said they would work no matter what.
However, even the workers who did not revolt were given just 5 KD (Rs 1,100) per week and have not received their salaries for the past four months,” the source said.
The development comes even as the return of the 72 workers has been delayed, possibly by another two weeks, as not all workers have submitted their redressal forms.
“All of them have been asked to complete the procedure online as soon as possible. About 95% of them completed their forms on Thursday and rest will finish it after visiting the Shoon Office,” said Mohandas Kamath, an expat working in Kuwait and helping the workers.
Job fraud: More Indians stranded in Kuwait