Butterfly Masala

GoldenFish

Amaco Builders

July 12, 2018

Techie faints while checking leak in tank; 2 techies rush to help; all 3 die

News Network

Bengaluru, Jul 12: In a heartrending incident, three young technical engineers lost their lives due to asphyxiation when they were checking a leak in a water tank at a chemical factory in Harohalli industrial area on Kanakapura Road.

The police gave the names of the victims as Lokesh Krishnappa (31), a native of Kolar; Mahesh Shivamallegowda (28), a resident of Gottahalli in Harohalli; and Saravana Manohar (24), who hailed from Tamil Nadu. Their colleague Arivalagan was admitted to a hospital where his condition is said to be critical.

The tragedy took place at the Unit-2 of Anthem BioSciences Private Limited, a manufacturer of medical products located near Bannikuppe village in Kanakapura taluk in Ramnagaram district around 10.30 pm on Tuesday.

The large stainless steel water tank was circular in shape and had a diameter of 3 metres, police said.

Lokesh, who works as an engineer, entered the tank using a ladder to check for the leak and collapsed inside the tank. On seeing him unconscious, Mahesh and Saravana entered the tank and passed out. Arivalagan also fainted while half-way into the tank, but was rescued by workers who rushed him to the hospital.

Following information from a company staffer, police got to the spot and began inquiries. They suspect the deaths had happened due to asphyxiation as there was no oxygen inside the tank.

Workers entered the tank wearing masks and retrieved the bodies, the police said. The bodies were shifted to the Victoria Hospital for post-mortem on Wednesday.

The victims who fell unconscious had bitten their tongue. In all, 20 workers were on the nightshift.

News of the deaths triggered panic among workers, including a few relatives of the victims who blamed the deaths on toxic fumes from a chemical reactor. But the management rubbished the allegations, insisting that lack of oxygen in the tank had caused the deaths.

The Harohalli police accused the management of the company for failing to follow safety procedures to protect their employees. They registered an FIR against unknown persons of the company management under IPC section 304-A – accidental death caused by negligence. Further investigations are underway.

Techie faints while checking leak in tank; 2 techies rush to help; all 3 die

Comments

Javed Hashir - Thursday, 12 July 2018

Work permit system for confined space entry and employees adherence to the system could have prevented this accident. 

Add comment


  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.