Modi govt copies Shaadi bhagya; offers Rs 51k wedding bounty for graduate Muslim girls

coastaldigest.com news network
August 7, 2017

Bengaluru, Aug 7: Do you remember those days when Bharatiya Janata Party staged protests across Karnataka against chief minister Siddaramaiah-led Congress government’s ‘Shaadi Bhagya’ scheme which provided financial assistance of Rs 50,000 to brides of minority communities such as Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Parsis, Jains and Buddhists in Karnataka? Now, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led NDA has come up with almost a similar scheme. Interestingly, this scheme is only for Muslims — not for all minority communities.

Christened as ‘Shaadi Shagun’, the Centre’s new scheme will provide a wedding gift of Rs 51,000 to “graduate” Muslim women. However, those Muslim girls who fail to complete graduation will be deprived of this bounty.

Currently, a website is currently being put up by Maulana Azad Educational Foundation where all details of the scheme would be made available. The Shaadi Shagun amount will be made available only to those graduate Muslim girls who have already received MAEF scholarships earlier.

Maulana Azad Educational Foundation, which works under the National Commission for Minorities, has decided to take this step to encourage Muslim women to opt for higher studies. MAEF says this scheme is tailored only for Muslim women and their guardians to egg them on to complete their studies at the college or university level.

Recently the MAEF, headed by minorities welfare minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, held a meeting during which important decisions were taken vis-a-vis scholarships offered to Muslim women. Besides, it was also decided that a sum of Rs 10,000 would be awarded to Muslim girls studying in Classes IX and X. Up to now, only (Muslim) girls studying in Classes XI and XII were eligible to receive a scholarship of Rs 12,000 each.

MAEF treasurer Shakir Hussain Ansari said, “Girl children in a large part of Muslim society are deprived of higher education even today, often due to financial constraints. We mean to encourage girls and their parents and guardians to ensure that the students complete their graduation. Hence, we've decided on the Rs 51,000 wedding gift.”

“Though this isn't a large amount, we do believe it would be firm step forward in encouraging higher education among Muslim women,” he added.

Comments

Isra
 - 
Sunday, 3 Dec 2017

We need the money now to find a good groom also to pay for match maker..

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
May 7,2021

Bengaluru, May 7: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa on Friday announced a complete lockdown from 6 am on Monday, May 10, to 6 am on May 24.

The chief minister said that the earlier Janata Curfew has not been successful as coronavirus cases are surging in the state. “All hotels, pubs and bars will remain closed,” he said. “Eateries, meat shops and vegetable shops can operate from 6-10 am.”

The state government had imposed a two-week lockdown from April 27 but used the term “close down” for the restrictions.

On Thursday, Karnataka reported 49,058 new coronavirus infections, taking the active caseload to 5,17,095 since the pandemic broke out in January last year, reported the Hindustan Times. With 328 deaths, the toll climbed to 17,212.

More details are awaited.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
April 29,2021

prithvi.jpg

Chikkamagaluru, Apr 29: After testing negative twice in 10 days, a 32-year-old man from Chikkamagaluru died at a designated Covid hospital in Shivamogga on Wednesday evening, a day before his marriage. Tests conducted after his death confirmed he had Covid, a family member said.

He was cremated as per covid guidelines in his village on Thursday, barely hundreds of metres from a choultry that was to host his marriage.

Prutviraj DM, from Devarakodige in Koppa taluk of Chikkamagaluru district, returned home from Bengaluru two weeks ago after the government decided to impose night curfew in eight big cities to stem the rising tide of Covid cases.

The bridegroom used to work as a sales executive in Bengaluru. He is the eldest son of Manjunath, a farmer from Devarakodige. Early this year, his marriage was fixed for April 29. 

Though his health condition wasn’t good as he suffered from stomach ailment and breathlessness after his return from Bengaluru, families of the groom and the bride decided to go ahead with the wedding plan as he tested negative for covid-19 twice.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
April 27,2021

ind.jpg

Apr 27: The World Health Organization chief voiced alarm on Monday at India's record-breaking wave of Covid-19 cases and deaths, saying the organisation was rushing to help address the crisis.

"The situation in India is beyond heartbreaking," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.

He spoke as India battles a catastrophic coronavirus wave that has overwhelmed hospitals, with crematoriums working at full capacity.

A surge in recent days has seen patients' families taking to social media to beg for oxygen supplies and locations of available hospital beds, and has forced the capital New Delhi to extend a week-long lockdown.

"WHO is doing everything we can, providing critical equipment and supplies," Tedros said.

He said the UN health agency was among other things sending "thousands of oxygen concentrators, prefabricated mobile field hospitals and laboratory supplies".

The WHO also said it had transferred more than 2,600 of its experts from various programmes, including polio and tuberculosis, to work with Indian health authorities to help respond to the pandemic.

The country of 1.3 billion has become the latest hotspot of a pandemic that has killed more than three million people worldwide, even as richer countries take steps towards normality with accelerating vaccination programmes.

The US and Britain rushed ventilators and vaccine materials to help India weather the crisis, while a range of other countries also pledged support.

Global surge

Since the virus that causes Covid-19 first surfaced in China in late 2019, the disease has killed more than 3.1 million people out of at least 147 million infected, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP.

Tedros on Monday lamented that global new case numbers have been rising for the past nine weeks straight.

"To put it in perspective," he said, "there were almost as many cases globally last week as in the first five months of the pandemic."

The United States remains the worst-affected country, with some 572,200 deaths and over 32 million infections, followed by Brazil and Mexico.

But India, in fourth place, has in recent days been driving the global caseload.

The country, which has recorded over 195,000 deaths, registered 2,812 new deaths and 352,991 new infections on Monday alone -- its highest tolls since the start of the pandemic.

"The exponential growth that we've seen in case numbers is really, truly astonishing," Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's technical lead on Covid-19, told reporters.

She warned that India was not unique, pointing out that a number of countries had seen "similar trajectories of increases in transmission".

"This can happen in a number of countries ... if we let our guard down," she said. "We're in a fragile situation."

Covax hit

Meanwhile, the Indian crisis has taken a toll on the Covax programme aimed at providing equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines, with a particular focus on 92 poorer nations.

Prior to the surge, India was exporting tens of millions of AstraZeneca shots made domestically by the Serum Institute through Covax, which is co-run by the WHO, the Gavi vaccine alliance and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

But once cases started surging, New Delhi froze exports -- including to Covax -- to prioritise India.

This has left Covax short 90 million doses that had been intended for 60 low-income countries in March and April, the WHO and Gavi said.

"Those have not been made available given the crisis in India. Now they're being used domestically," Gavi chief Seth Berkley told the briefing.

Covax, he said, was "looking at other options" while waiting for the supplies to resume.

Among other things, the Covax partners have appealed to countries that have excess vaccine doses to share them with the programme.

Berkley said that it was "early days" on those discussions, but so far France, New Zealand and Spain had vowed to share some of their doses.

To date, some 40.8 million Covid-19 vaccine doses have been distributed to 118 countries and territories through Covax.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.