Shivakumar questioned at Bengaluru I-T office for 3 hours

Agencies
August 7, 2017

Bengaluru, Aug 7: Karnataka minister D K Shivakumar today appeared before the Income Tax department officials at the IT office here in connection with the raids conducted at various properties linked to him last week.

After being grilled by the officials for three consecutive days in connection with an alleged tax evasion case, the state power minister was issued summons to appear before the Income Tax department today for questioning.

Shivakumar, who appeared along with his brother and Bengaluru Rural MP D K Suresh, said the officials might call him again, whenever required.

"The Income Tax authorities have every right to summon and question any assesse, businessman or individual. I have come here several times earlier also. They had asked me to appear anytime after 11 am, so I have come here," he said.

He added that the IT officials discussed his earlier statement and treated him "very respectfully". "They are guiding me for my good," said Shivakumar.

He added that the officials did not ask him to come tomorrow or the day after and said they would inform him whenever required.

In a swoop down that has stirred a political controversy, the IT department, on August 2, began raiding various properties linked to Shivakumar, who hosted 44 Gujarat Congress MLAs at a resort on the city outskirts, to thwart the "poaching" attempts by the BJP ahead of tomorrow's Rajya Sabha polls in that state.

Ahmed Patel, the political secretary to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, is a contestant in the election to the Upper House of Parliament from Gujarat.

During the IT raids at about 66 places across the country, the officials said they had seized cash and jewellery, worth over Rs 15 crore.

The IT department is yet to make an official statement regarding the outcome of the raids.

Asked about the 'panchnama' (seizure list) and details of the reported recoveries made by the IT sleuths, Shivakumar said, "I have asked for it. My auditor has to apply for it...they (IT officials) have asked us to apply in accordance with the procedure. I will ask my auditor to collect it."

Not divulging any details of the raids, Shivakumar, soon after the raids ended on Saturday, had said he would speak to the media in detail, only after getting the 'panchnama'.

Astrologer Dwarakanath and MLC S Ravi, considered close to the minister, also appeared before the IT officials for questioning today.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
May 2,2021

SharanuSalagar.jpg

May 2: BJP candidate Sharanu Salagar, who was a personal assistant (PA) to two MLAs and a Zilla Panchayat president, is now an MLA after winning the Basavakalayan Assembly seat which fell vacant following the demise of Congress MLA B Narayanrao, who had died of Covid-19 complications last year.

Salagar defeated Congress candidate Mala B Narayanrao by a margin of about 19,000 votes. While Salagar had polled 70,554 votes, his nearest rival Mala B Narayanrao managed to get 50,108 votes

Sharanu, who was born in V K Salagar village in Kamalapur taluk of the district, is an MSc and MEd holder. He was appointed as a primary school teacher in 2002. At the same time, he worked as a personal assistant to the then MLA Revu Naik Belamagi. Sharanu was also the personal assistant of Zilla Panchayat president from 2004 to 2011, and Jewargi MLA Ajay Singh for a year in 2013.

He was promoted to high school as an assistant teacher in 2011 but he resigned in 2014 to join the Congress.

Miffed over not getting a ticket to contest from Chinchansur Zilla Panchayat constituency in Aland taluk in 2016, he quit the Congress and joined the BJP. He was then appointed as BJP’s Kalaburagi rural mandala president and campaigned for Basavaraj Mattimud in the 2017 Assembly polls.

Differences cropped up among the BJP workers in Gulbarga rural assembly constituency and the segment was also reserved for the Scheduled Caste candidate. Being a Veerashaiva Lingayat, he thought he can’t nurture a political future in the segment and shifted his politics to the Basavakalyan constituency and continued to work for the party there. 

His wife Savitri was the supervisor of a hostel run by the Social Welfare Department. Later, she passed the KAS examination in 2016 and became the tahsildar of Basavakalyan. She has now been transferred.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
May 6,2021

covidmeeting.jpg

Mangaluru, May 6: In the wake of continued spike in the covid-19 cases in the coastal Karnataka, the district administration has decided to enforce tougher rules in Dakshina Kannada.

An emergency meeting was held in Deputy Commissioner’s office in the city wherein elected representatives and officials discussed the measures to be implemented to curtail the spread of novel coronavirus.

Following the meeting DC Dr K V Rajendra said that from May 7 onwards people will be allowed to purchase essential commodities only between 6 am and 9 am. By 10 a.m. no one should be there on the roads or footpaths. All shopkeepers should reach their homes by 10 a.m. People can purchase medical supplies from the nearest pharmacies.
  
Vehicles of those who move around unnecessarily will be seized. The police department will initiate tougher measures to prevent needless roaming on the streets. There will be no provision for events like marriage, housewarming and birthdays.
 
Besides, the district administration has banned all programmes including weddings and family events from May 15. Those who have already obtained permission for such events are supposed to postpone the event. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
April 26,2021

Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa today announced that the entire state including Bengaluru city will go for a full lockdown for two weeks starting from April 27 night 10 p.m. in a bid to contain the raging COVID-19 crisis in the state.

Shops selling essential items and groceries will be allowed to remain open between 6 am and 10 am. Only construction, manufacturing and agriculture sectors will be allowed to function. Public transport will remain shut, Yediyurappa said.

The decision came following a Cabinet meeting that was held on Monday morning as the state registered a record high of 34,000 COVID-19 cases on a single day on Sunday.

“We have come to a decision after speaking to all ministers and experts,” Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa said in a press briefing after the cabinet meeting. 

“In government hospitals vaccination will be free for people between 10-45 years. For those above 45 years, Union Government will provide vaccination free," the Chief Minister said. "From April 27 evening, stringer measures will be in place. Request vendors, shopkeepers to close right after so the police don't have to compel them."

Manufacturing sector constructions, agricultural activities will be allowed but garment factories are prohibited.

There will be no shortage of oxygen henceforth. The Union government has agreed to increase supply from 300 MT to 800 MT, he added.

Public transportation will not function. Goods can be transported from one state to another.

Takeaway from restaurants and home delivery of alcohol has been allowed.

The state especially capital Bengaluru is reeling under a crisis of ventilator and ICU-beds with patients needing to wait for hours to get admitted in hospitals. As of Monday morning, Karnataka has more than 1.6 lakh active cases with an overwhelming majority in Bengaluru.  In light of this, some members of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) which held its 99th meeting on April 24 in Bengaluru had advised for a two-week long down.

The state is already under night curfew and weekend lockdown under existing restrictions as the number of cases have been on the rise since the start of April.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.