Women now eligible to drive Kerala govt vehicles

Agencies
August 21, 2019

Kochi, Aug 21: Gone are the days when the post of a driver in Kerala state government departments and state owned public sector undertakings could be filled only by a male.

The state cabinet, on Wednesday, decided to open this post for women also.

After the weekly cabinet meeting held here, the office of Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan intimated that it's no longer a male domain.

"Directions have been given to see that new laws are framed to make drivers' posts in Kerala government and state PSUs gender neutral. This has been done based on the government's policy of following gender neutrality in all sectors," said the statement.

Incidentally, in Kerala women do drive private buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and ambulances but this is the first time women will be appointed to drive government vehicles.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
July 19,2021

Bengaluru, July 19: Theatres across Karnataka are all set to reopen today after a gap of three months following the government's announcement of further relaxation of Covid-19 curbs.

According to an order issued by Chief Secretary P Ravikumar, “Cinema halls/multiplexes/theatres/rangamandiras/auditoriums and similar places (are) permitted to open with 50% of seating capacity (by) strictly adhering to Covid-appropriate behaviour and SOPs issued by the concerned departments.”

The night curfew, which was earlier in place from 9 pm to 6 am, has now been reduced to 10 pm-5 am.

Revenue Minister R Ashoka told reporters that the lockdown was being relaxed further to help those affected by the restrictions in the past few months. “This will help people, especially those from theatre and film industry,” he said. The government will allow prayers and other rituals to be performed at temples, provided Covid protocols are followed.

Karnataka on Sunday recorded 1,708 new Covid-19 cases and 36 deaths. The active case tally presently stands at 29,291. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
July 19,2021

Mangaluru, July 19: A purported audio clip of Karnataka BJP president Nalin Kumar Kateel talking of a new Karnataka chief minister and big changes in Cabinet has stirred the state's political cauldron.

The audio, which went viral on Sunday, has been dubbed as "fake" by Kateel.

In the clip, Kateel, speaking in his native Tulu language, is heard saying that the BJP central leadership had shortlisted three candidates for the chief minister's post.

The audio comes amid thick speculation that Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa is on his way out.

"There are three candidates shortlisted. There are chances that anyone can become CM... No one from here will become CM. High command will appoint (someone) from Delhi," according to the clip.

Further, the voice on the audio clip is heard talking about big changes in the Cabinet: "Eshwarappa, Shettar and team will be out. A team team will be formed."

KS Eshwarappa is currently the Rural Development & Panchayat Raj (RDPR) Minister whereas Jagadish Shettar, a former chief minister, is the Industries Minister.

Soon after the clip went viral, Kateel issued a statement calling it "fake" and urged Yediyurappa to investigate. "This has been done to cause damage to the party," he said.

Yediyurappa, 78, was in New Delhi last Friday and Saturday where the BJP top brass is said to have asked him to step down. Yediyurappa has convened the BJP legislature party meeting on July 26, when he completes two years in office. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
July 13,2021

Mangaluru, Jul 13:  Amid rising Covid-19 cases in Kerala's Kasargod, inter-state bus service between Mangaluru and the border district will remain suspended for one more week.

Dakshin Kannada District-in-Charge Minister Kota Srinivas Poojary, who chaired the KDP meeting on Tuesady, said it would be difficult to monitor all the passengers if the bus services to Kerala are started.

''We may also face an increase in Covid-19 cases. We will study the situation for one week. If the positivity rate in Kasargod decreases, then the decision on starting bus services will be taken."

Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner Dr Rajendra K V said that show-cause notices had been served to a few private hospitals following complaints of overcharging for treating Covid-19 patients.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.