Mangaluru, Nov 23: Two of a family lost their lives after allegedly consuming poisonous mushrooms in Belthangady taluk of Dakshina Kannada district.
The deceased are Guruva Mera, 80, and his son Odiyappa, 41. Both residents of Kerimaru house in Puduvettu village which falls under the limits of Dharmasthala police station.
Dakshina Kannada SP Rishikesh Sonawane said according to a complaint when Karta, 60, left home on Monday at around 3 pm, he saw his brother Odiyappa had brought mushrooms from the forest, cleaning it and getting ready to cook the same.
At that time, his father, Guruva Mera, was resting at home. Karta decided to stay in his relative’s house on Monday. When he returned at around 6.30am the next day, he saw that his father and brother were lying outside the house.
Since they were not responding, he called his relatives and neighbours for help. On realising that they were dead, he went into the house and noticed that the duo had eaten mushrooms.
An unnatural death report has been registered by the police. The case is under investigation by the police.