19-year-old boy arrested for attempt to open fake SBI branch

News Network
July 12, 2020

Tamil Nadu, Jul 12: An alleged attempt by a 19-year-old man to "open a branch of the State Bank of India" at Panruti near Tamil Nadu was scuttled and he was arrested for forgery, police said on Saturday.

The man, son of retired SBI employees, had readied fake seals and challans of the public sector lender, and had other paraphernalia like a cash counting machine needed "to run a bank branch," on an upper floor of his residence at Panruti, about 25 km from Tamil Nadu.

He had not, however, put up any signboard. The SBI Panruti branch manager lodged a complaint with police seeking action following a tip-off by a customer that the man was "opening an SBI branch and has challans as well."

A printer who printed the challans and another who had made fake seals were held for similar offences and abetment.

They were produced before a magistrate court and enlarged on bail.

Asked if the man had cheated people by soliciting deposits or facilitating loans, Panruti police inspector K Ambethkar said, "no..we have not received any such complaint so far."

The man's late father had worked for SBI and his mother had retired from the same bank some time back, he said.

To a question, the police inspector said the man's mother, who has mobility issues, and another woman a relative living in the same house had no clue about his "idea."

Investigations revealed that he aspired to work for a bank and since he had closely watched banking operations for long he was "very knowledgeable" about it.

On the suspected motive, he said several of his replies were incomprehensible, childish, and strange notwithstanding his excellent understanding of the banking processes.

"He even calmly told us that he awaited approval from Mumbai to open the (SBI) branch and that he was about to put up a signboard," the inspector said, adding that the man had tried unsuccessfully to get employment on compassionate grounds in the SBI following the death of his father in harness.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
September 14,2020

Mumbai, Sept 14: Five of the six alleged drug peddlers, who were arrested in a drug case in connection with Sushant Singh Rajput's death, have been sent to the custody of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) while one has been granted bail.

"NCB presented six accused before the court. Sanket Patel gets bail on a surety of Rs 15,000. Karam Jeet Singh, Dwayne Fernandes, and Ankush Anreja remanded in NCB custody till September 16," Sandeep Karke, Lawyer Of Karamjeet Singh Anand and Sanket Patel told reporters here.

"In FIR, NCB accessed some WhatsApp chat and the agency investigated it. During the investigation, no narcotic substance in commercial quantity has been recovered from them. Rs 6 lakhs which was recovered from Karam Jeet belongs to her mother," he said.

Sandeep Gupta and Aftab Fateh Ansari have been sent to judicial custody till September 23.

NCB alleged that Sanket Patel used to deliver narcotic stuff to celebrities.

23-year-old Karam Jeet Singh Anand was apprehended in the case and NDPS substance such as Ganja, Charas has been recovered from him, NCB said.

"Dywan Anthony Fernandes along with two persons has been apprehended from Dadar (West), Mumbai, who used to supply Ganja. In this case 500 grams of Ganja has been recovered. Ankush Arenja, age 29 years of Powai was also apprehended who is a receiver of contraband from Karam Jeet and also supplies it to arrested accused Anuj Keshwani and 42 grams of Charas and cash of Rs 1,12,400 has been recovered from him," NCB had said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 18,2020

Thiruvananthapuram, Sept 18: A 19-year old Covid-19 infected girl who suffered sexual abuse by an ambulance driver at Pathanamthitta in Kerala recently made a bid to end her life.

According to sources, the girl made a hanging bid at the hospital in Kottayam district where she is under Covid-19 treatment. Owing to the timely intervention of the hospital staff, she was saved. The incident took place on Thursday evening.

The exact cause for making the bid was yet to be ascertained. However, the girl had suffered severe mental shock following the sexual abuse in the ambulance and counseling was also being provided to her.

The girl suffered sexual abuse by an ambulance driver while she was being shifted from home to hospital after being tested Covid-19 positive on September 5.

The incident triggered a major row in Kerala as there were no nurses or health workers in the ambulance while the girl was collected. The ambulance driver dropped another woman in the ambulance at another hospital and took the ambulance to a deserted area during the dark hours and sexually abused her. An audio of the accused tendering apology to the victim after the sexual abuse had also come out.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 15,2020

suicide.JPG

Thiruvananthapuram, Sept 15: At least 140 teenagers killed themselves in Kerala for trivial reasons in the last six months, a study said, prompting the state Human Rights Commission (SHRC) to direct the Social Justice Department to examine the effectiveness of its suicide prevention measures.

In his direction to the Director of the department on Monday, SHRC chairman Antony Dominic sought a report on the initiatives taken to prevent suicide among youngsters.

"As per a complaint received by the panel, a study conducted by DISHA, an NGO, shows that at least 140 youngsters in the age group of 13 to 18 had committed suicide during the period of January 2020 to June 2020," a commission release said.

The study said that family disputes, troubled love affairs, failure in examinations, issues over mobile phones, two-wheelers were among the major reasons for the suicides.

"Thiruvananthapuram district has the highest number of suicides with 22 youngsters having taken the extreme step, followed by Malappuram with 20 suicides," the SHRC said.

The complaint said that the ineffectiveness of "village child protection councils" has resulted in the rising number of suicides among youngsters.

The release said the SHRC asked the Social Justice Department to review the effectiveness of the suicide prevention measures being taken up by it and sought a report.

Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had in July said instances of suicidal tendencies were being witnessed among children and termed it as an "extremely serious social issue".

"Since March 25, when the national lockdown was imposed, 66 children, below 18 years of age, have ended their lives due to various reasons," Mr Vijayan had said.

To help the children facing issues relating to mental pressures, "Chiri", a tele-counselling initiative was initiated by the government under its Our Responsibility to Children Programme (ORC), a planned community intervention that connects with Children and Young people between the age of 12 -18 years.

The health department had launched "Ottakalla Oppamund" (You are not alone, we are with you) programme to help children facing any kind of mental distress and to stop the suicidal tendencies among them.

A committee headed by Fire and Rescue Services DGP R Sreelekha had also been constituted to conduct a study on suicides among children in the state.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.