COVID-19 impact: Cricket West Indies announces temporary salary and fund cuts

News Network
May 30, 2020

St John's, May 30: The Cricket West Indies (CWI) on Saturday announced a temporary 50 per cent reduction in salaries and cricket funding across the entire regional cricket system, effective from the start of July due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic which resulted in the suspension of all the cricketing activities across the globe since March.

"This decision has been necessary in the face of debilitating economic challenges which have resulted from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. With no international cricket currently being played anywhere in the world, and with great uncertainty of when regular cricket activity will resume, CWI - like many other international sporting organisations worldwide - is facing a significant loss of income, whilst also being uncertain of the long-term impact of the crisis on our operations," the CWI said in a statement.

During Thursday's teleconference, CWI's Board of Directors received recommendations from the Financial Strategy Advisory Committee (FSAC). The FSAC was formed in April by CWI president Ricky Skerritt, to make recommendations on how CWI could best manage its resources in order to continue its core business over the next few months in view of the changing and uncertain economic environment created by the global pandemic COVID-19. These recommended measures followed close consultation with all stakeholders.

"Cricket is the beating heart of our region for many individuals, communities, and economies. This pandemic is hurting every West Indian and this decision to cut staff and player incomes has been a very difficult one to make; one that will impact so many members of the cricketing family around the Caribbean," Skerritt said.

"This business continuity plan, unfortunately, requires all stakeholders to make a huge sacrifice, but I am confident that it won't be long before CWI will be in a position to ensure that the sport we love can restart and be enjoyed once again by the thousands of cricket fans across the region and diaspora," he added.

CWI has kept staff, players, umpires and coaches on full-pay since the outbreak of COVID-19 and have tried our best to avoid any cuts for as long as possible. CWI hopes that these temporary measures will only be in place for not more than three to six months. These measures will also include a 50 per cent reduction in funding for Territorial Boards, Territorial Board Franchises and WIPA, as well as a 50 per cent cut in all retainers and allowances for Directors and Executive management.

Earlier in the day, CWI gave its approval for a 'bio-secure' Test tour to England.

West Indies were first slated to play three Tests against England in June, but the original starting date of the series was pushed due to the coronavirus pandemic. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is looking to go ahead with the series against West Indies in July and then the Three Lions will play three Tests against Pakistan.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 24,2020

rohith.JPG

Abu Dhabi, Sept 24: Mumbai Indians displayed a stunning performance against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) to seal a comfortable 49-run victory in the Indian Premier League (IPL) match here on Wednesday.

Rohit Sharma played a fast-paced inning of 80 runs before bowlers destroyed KKR's batting line up, confirming Mumbai Indians' win in the match.

Chasing a massive target of 196 runs, KKR got off to a poor start as both the openers Shubman Gill and Sunil Narine were dismissed within the first five overs. Trent Boult got hold of Gill (7) while Narine was caught behind off James Pattinson's delivery.

Nitish Rana and Dinesh Karthik then took the field and played cautiously and took the team over the 50-run mark. They formed a 46-run partnership before Karthik (30) was given LBW in the 11th over, bowled by Rahul Chahar. In the next over, Kieron Pollard dismissed Rana (24), putting KKR under immense pressure.

Eoin Morgan and Andre Russell then took the responsibility of the chase but Jasprit Bumrah was brought back into the attack and the pacer restricted batsmen from hitting big shots. KKR were playing at 82/4 after the completion of the 13th over.

The fall of the wickets did not stop as Bumrah removed both Russell and Morgan in the 16th over. In the Bumrah's next over, Pat Cummins came out furiously and struck four sixes to the pacer.

Although Bumrah conceded 27 runs in the over, it did not make much of a difference. Pattinson then dismissed Cummins (33) in the 19th over.

Chahar bowled the last over and Mumbai Indians easily registered a win in the match. Bumrah, Boult, Chahar, and Pattinson all picked up two wickets each in the match.

Earlier, put in to bat, Mumbai Indians had a worst possible start with opener Quinton de Kock back in the hut in the very second over.

Suryakumar then joined skipper Rohit and bludgeoned the KKR bowling attack. Suryakumar smashed six fours and one six in his 47 runs knock off 28 balls.

In the 11th over, Rohit and Suryakumar tried to steal a double but the 30-year-old batsman had to make his way back to the dugout after a mixup in the middle. The run-out came against the run of play.

Meanwhile, Rohit continued his brilliant batting and scored boundaries at regular intervals. Saurabh Tiwary and Rohit stitched a 49 run stand before Sunil Narine dismissed the left-handed batsman in the 16th over.

Two overs later, Shivam Mavi ended Rohit's blistering innings. He whacked six maximum in his knock of 80 runs and also registred his 200th six in the IPL. He is the second Indian to do so. CSK skipper MS Dhoni has 214 IPL sixes under his belt.

In the death overs, Hardik Pandya failed to leave a mark and got out hit-wicket. Kieron Pollard too didn't connect how he used to and Mumbai weren't able to get past 200 run-mark.

For KKR, Mavi took two while Narine and Andre Russell scalped one wicket each.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 24,2020

karthik.JPG

Abu Dhabi,  Sept 24: Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Dinesh Karthik finds it extremely "unfair" that his premier pacer Pat Cummins is being criticised after just one bad performance that too when he played straight after completing his quarantine.

All eyes were on Cummins, this edition's highest paid overseas recruit and he was taken apart by Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma as he went for 49 runs in 3 overs during KKR's 49-run IPL defeat on Wednesday.

"It is very unfair to judge him (Cummins) right now. He is just off quarantine, (it is) at 3.30/4.00 PM when he got permission to come and play the match itself. We are just happy to have him and I don't think this is a game where we need to judge him at all," Karthik said at the post-match press conference. The KKR skipper termed Cummins as a champion bowler who will eventually come good.

"Just the fact that he is a world champion bowler, from whatever I have heard and seen he is one of the best going around in the world. I trust him and I'm sure, he will come good," said Karthik. Karthik also had a word of praise for young Shivam Mavi, who returned with figures of 2/32, with wickets of Rohit and Quinton de Kock.

"Upfront he (Mavi) was very good. The poor guy missed out due to an injury last year and he is looking forward to this competition and he is shaping up well and that's a good sign for KKR," he added. While someone like Andre Russell once again batted down the order at No 6, Karthik defended the decision, saying that it was more to do with keeping a left-right combination going.

"I think it is a strategy because it is done universally only simply because it is not easy for a bowler to bowl consistently to left-hander and a right-hander (and) even if they get their line a little wrong, it could go for runs. Because we have the advantage of doing that, sometimes we tend to do that," he said. Karthik said his side didn't execute the slower deliveries well enough in these conditions.

"Some didn't execute slower balls) that well because it was a little shorter and that is why the square boundaries came into play a lot more." For Mumbai Indians, Suryakumar Yadav, who came in at No 3 was one of the architects of MI's victory with 47 off 28 balls, said that he won't mind opening the innings if required.

"That is the team management's call. I have loved opening for Mumbai Indians in the last two years and whenever they give me that opportunity, I would love to do that".

While the ground dimensions are different, it didn't change their gameplan insisted Surya. "Yes, the boundaries are big but I don't think there was any drastic change in his batting, he just kept things very-very simple, played his natural game, what he is known for and the result is there in front of you," sais the MI batsman.

"We were actually keeping things pretty simple, we were just backing ourselves and we knew we had played one game here and what strokes are to be executed on this ground, so we just stuck to our plan and it went out really well,” he explained.

Jasprit Bumrah had a rare off-day against CSK, but he bounced back in style and Surya termed the India pace-spearhead as the "best bowler in the world." "His rhythm, his work ethics and his discipline during the training sessions is unbelievable as I have been seeing in the last few days. He came back stronger and he will keep getting stronger as the game progresses," he added.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 13,2020

UAE.jpg

Dubai, Sept 13: International Cricket Council (ICC) on Sunday charged two United Arab Emirates (UAE) players Amir Hayat and Ashfaq Ahmed with five counts of breaching cricket's anti-corruption rules and provisionally suspended them with immediate effect.

The Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) had suspended Ashfaq during the ICC Men's T20 World Cup Qualifier in October last year but no formal charges had been laid so far.

Both Amir and Ashfaq have been charged with the following breaches of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code under Article 2.1.3 (Seeking, accepting, offering or agreeing to accept any bribe or other reward), Article 2.4.2 (failing to disclose to the ACU (without unnecessary delay) the receipt of any gift, payment, hospitality or other benefit), Article 2.4.3 (non-contractual benefits offered to a participant that have a value of USD 750 or more), Article 2.4.4 (failing to report any approaches or invitations received by the participant to engage in Corrupt Conduct under the Anti-Corruption Code) and Article 2.4.5 (failing to disclose to the ACU full details of any facts or matters that came to his attention that may evidence Corrupt Conduct under the Code by another participant).

The players have 14 days from September 13 to respond to the charges. The ICC will not make any further comment in respect of these charges at this stage.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.