Anushka Sharma calls out Sunil Gavaskar for 'distasteful' comments

News Network
September 25, 2020

anushka.jpg

Mumbai, Sept 25: Actor Anushka Sharma on Friday slammed former Indian cricketer Sunil Gavaskar for his "distasteful" remark about her while commenting on husband Virat Kohli's performance in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL).

Gavaskar found himself in the midst of a controversy for making an unsavoury comment against Kohli and Sharma after the Indian captain’s forgettable outing in the IPL match, held in Dubai.

Anushka, who has faced negativity and trolling in the past as well for Kohli's performance, said she was tired of being dragged into cricket.

"It's 2020 and things still don't change for me. When will I stop getting dragged into cricket and stop being used to pass sweeping statements?" the actor said in a long statement posted on her Instagram Stories.

Gavaskar was a part of the commentary team as Virat Kohli-led Royal Challengers Bangalore lost to Kings XI Punjab on Thursday night and the Indian captain did not do well in the match.

He made the controversial comment about the cricketer's practice by referencing a video of Kohli and Sharma playing cricket during the lockdown.

In her statement, 32-year-old actor, who has accompanied Kohli in Dubai, asked for an explanation from Gavaskar for his remark.

"That, Mr Gavaskar, your message is distasteful is a fact but I would love for you to explain why you thought of making such a sweeping statement on a wife accusing her for her husband's game?

"I'm sure over the years you have respected the private lives of every cricketer while commenting on the game. Don't you think you should have equal amount of respect for me and us?," Sharma said.

The actor said Gavaskar could have used other words to speak about Kohli's performance, instead of bringing her name in his commentary.

In her concluding note, Sharma said, "Respected Mr Gavaskar, you are a legend whose name stands tall in this gentleman's game. Just I want to tell you what I felt when I heard you say this."

In the past as well, Sharma has reacted sharply to her name being used in cricket controversies.

In October last year, she had shut down reports that claimed that selectors were asked to serve her tea during ICC World Cup 2019.

“I have stayed quiet through all the times I was blamed for the performance of my then boyfriend, now husband Virat and continue to take the blame for the most baseless things involving Indian cricket. I kept quiet then,” she had written.

“Today. I have decided to speak up because someone’s silence cannot be taken as their weakness," she had said at the time.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 20,2020

sonu.JPG

New Delhi, Oct 20: Hospitality firm OYO on Tuesday said it has roped in Bollywood actor Sonu Sood as the face of its campaign 'Sanitised Before Your Eyes' that seeks to showcase its sanitisation efforts and build trust within the travellers.

The campaign is an on-request initiative through which guests can request the hotel's on-ground staff to sanitise high touch spots or frequently touched surfaces right in front of their eyes, OYO Hotels & Homes said in a statement.

“Sonu has been an OYO asset owner with us since 2019 and we're extremely happy to have him as the face of our campaign. We believe that his ideologies and our brand fit perfectly well together," OYO India and South Asia CEO Rohit Kapoor said.

On the development, Sood said: "I believe that today, travellers including myself are constantly worried about hygiene and sanitisation while travelling in a virus-hit world. Witnessing the sanitisation process will reduce guests' anxiety and worries to a great extent, allowing them to truly enjoy their stay".

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
October 9,2020

Dr_Strange.jpg

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch will reprise his role of the sorcerer superhero Doctor Strange in the third part of the revived Spider-Man franchise. Tom Holland returns as Spider-Man in the film.

Cumberbatch's casting marks the third major crossover between the films produced by Disney's Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures' "Spider-Man" movies.

The move puts Cumberbatch in the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man's mentor, which was previously carried out by Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man in "Spider-Man: Homecoming" (2017) and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in "Spider-Man: Far From Home" (2019), reports hollywoodreporter.com.

The new "Spider-Man" film is due to begin shooting in Atlanta later this month. It is unclear when and where Cumberbatch will shoot his scenes.

With Jon Watts returning to direct the third part, the film brings back Zendaya as Mary Jane Watson, Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, and Jacob Batalon as Peter Parker's friend Ned.

Cumberbatch is expected to start shooting for "Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness" in London soon.

The third "Spider-Man" film is scheduled for a theatre release on December 17, 2021, and "Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness" on March 25, 2022.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 13,2020

sood.JPG

Mumbai, Oct 13: After his selfless act of helping migrant labourers return to their houses during COVID-19 pandemic, actor Sonu Sood has come up with an initiative to sponsor the education of students from different parts of the country.

Inspired from his late mother, the 'Dabangg' actor has decided to support IAS aspirants to pursue their dreams through Professor Saroj Sood Scholarships.

Sood intended to carry the legacy created by her forward on 13th death anniversary of his mother. Under the programme affiliated with a university, scholarships will be available to students for online and on-campus courses.

Taking to Instagram, the actor-philanthropist shared, "October 13; 13 years since my mother passed away. She left behind a legacy of education. On her anniversary today, I pledge to support IAS aspirants reach their goals thru Prof Saroj Sood Scholarships. Seeking blessings Miss u maa."

Earlier, the 47-year-old actor had helped the students of a village in Haryana to attend online classes by sending smartphones to them. Sood had also helped JEE and NEET aspirants to travel to their exam centres.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.