'DDLJ' turns 25; Raj unlike anything I had done, says Shah Rukh Khan

News Network
October 20, 2020

srk.JPG

Mumbai, Oct 20: Superstar Shah Rukh Khan has many fond memories of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ), which completed 25 years on Tuesday, but what stands out the most is how the film built his romantic hero image as the actor says he never felt he could pull of a character like that on the screen.

Directed by then debutant Aditya Chopra, son of veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra, DDLJ cemented Shah Rukh's image as the ‘King of Romance’ in Bollywood.

“Raj was unlike anything I had done. Before DDLJ, there was Darr, Baazigar, Anjaam -- films in which I had portrayed negative characters. Also, I always felt that I wasn’t cut out to play any romantic type of character.

"So, when I was presented with the opportunity by Adi and Yash (Chopra) ji of essaying the role, I was excited to work with him but had no idea how to go about it and also if I would be able to do it well,” Shah Rukh said in a statement shared by production banner Yash Raj Films (YRF).

The 54-year-old actor actor said people can see a glimpse of his real self in Raj, particularly in his sense of humour, which the actor borrowed from his own life.

“Actually, I always felt Adi’s love for me made him cast me. I found the character endearing and sweet in the right way -- the over-the-topness is my contribution.

"It was one of those roles that I realised can do with me using a version of my real self so you might see some quirks, habits and mannerisms that were true to my off-screen persona, especially the sense of humour part.”

Though Shah Rukh and Kajol had tasted success as a pair with Baazigar in 1993, it was DDLJ which immortalised them as the ultimate on-screen romantic couple.

DDLJ, the acronym that the film is known by today, shattered box office records at the time and was the only film to be still running in Mumbai’s Maratha Mandir until recently when Covid-19 forced cinema halls to close in March.

Widely credited for changing the grammar of Hindi cinema, the movie, according to YRF, was made at a budget of Rs 4 crore and in 1995 it collected Rs 89 crore in India and Rs 13.50 crore in overseas markets, a total collection of Rs 102.50 crore worldwide.

In today’s inflation adjusted value, the film's collection stands at a staggering Rs 455 crore in India and Rs 69 crore in overseas territories, taking the total worldwide collections to Rs 524 crore, the production house said.

At that time, Shah Rukh recalled, he had been told that he looked unconventional, different from the leading heroes of that era, which made him sceptical about saying all the romantic dialogues in the movie.

“I was told by many people that I looked unconventional -- very different from what the perception of a leading man was. I did feel, maybe, not being handsome enough -- or as they called it then ‘chocolaty’ would make me unsuitable for romantic roles. Also, I am very shy and awkward with ladies, and I didn’t know how I would say all the loving, romantic bits,” he said.

“I have to admit, for someone who doesn’t like mushy, romantic films, the scenes with Kajol and I did make me feel all fuzzy and warm. There, I said it!” the actor said.

Shah Rukh also revealed he never changes the radio channel when a DDLJ song comes on.

"I can never get sick of them. They bring back memories of a film that shaped my path forward in an unforgettable way,” he said of the songs penned by the late Anand Bakshi and composed by Jatin-Lalit.

The train sequence ending of DDLJ is as iconic as the film, inspiring many imitations in Bollywood and elsewhere but Shah Rukh said he had no clue it will become so famous while they were shooting it.

“There could have been no other ending, but I did not think it would be as iconic as it eventually turned out to be.”

The actor said DDLJ brought him fame in a way that he didn’t think it would.

“We were all living in the moment, trying to make the best film we could. There are so many reasons attributed to its success, but I don’t think any one specific thing can explain the phenomenon it has become. I think all the success is to be credited to the pure heart with which the film was made by Adi, Yashji, and the entire cast and crew -- and my non-existent ‘good looks’,” he said.

Thanks to the film, Shah Rukh said he could no longer rely on his “unconventional” looks to play different roles.

“As for perception, I always felt that I can play more unconventional roles because of my looks, but DDLJ has belied that and I still struggle to make that one macho unconventional... character which suits me, or so I thought, but its been a struggle to not be considered romantic and sweet for the last 25 years -- a struggle, I guess, I am happy to lose.”

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 30,2020

roy.jpg

Mumbai, Nov 30: Actor Rahul Roy, best known for starring in the 1990 musical blockbuster Aashiqui has suffered a brain stroke and is recuperating at a hospital here, a family source said.

The 52-year-old actor, who was recently shooting in Kargil, was admitted to the intensive care unit of Nanavati Hospital two days ago, according to the insider.

"He was hospitalised two days ago after he arrived from Kargil. He was admitted due to a progressive brain stroke," the family source told PTI.

"He is safe and recovering well. The recovery will take some time," they added.

Roy made his Bollywood debut at the age of 22 in the Mahesh Bhatt-directed Aashiqui and went on to work with the filmmaker on 1990s films like Junoon and Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee.

Roy also won the first season of the popular TV reality show Bigg Boss in 2006.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
November 18,2020

kangana.jpg

Mumbai, Nov 18: Mumbai police on Wednesday asked Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut and her sister Rangoli Chandel to appear before them on November 23 over "objectionable comments" on social media aimed at spreading communal tension.

This is the third time Mumbai police have asked the actor to appear before the Bandra police in the matter.

Kangana had earlier informed the police that she was busy with a wedding in the family and will be available only after November 15.

Mumbai police had issued the second notice to Kangana Ranaut and Rangoli Chandel on November 3 and ordered them to appear before it on November 10. Both the sisters have been booked for allegedly promoting enmity between communities through their remarks on social media.

Earlier, the Bandra police on October 21 issued a notice to Kangana and her sister to record their statements in the case. However, Ranaut's lawyer had then sent a reply to the police station, saying she was in Himachal Pradesh and busy with the wedding preparations.

Last month, the Bandra metropolitan magistrate's court had ordered the police to investigate a complaint filed by Bollywood casting director and fitness trainer Munawwar Ali Sayyed, referring to tweets and other statements of Ranaut and her sister.

The Bandra police subsequently registered an FIR against Ranaut and her sister under IPC sections 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, etc), 295-A (deliberate acts hurting religious sentiments) and 124-A (sedition), 34 (common intention) and also asked Kangana and her sister to appear before the police.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
November 21,2020

bdgvbf.jpg

Washington, Nov 21: Months after the demise of the 'Black Panther' star Chadwick Boseman, Marvel Studio is planning to begin shooting for the sequel of the superhero film in July 2021.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the sequel was sidelined after Boseman's sudden demise following which filmmaker Ryan Coogler and Marvel navigated their way through grief.

The studios had earlier planned to begin production for the sequel in March 2021.
2020 has been the only year that did not see the release of any Marvel movie for the first time since 2009.

Several sources of The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Marvel is now prepping up for 'Black Panther 2,' the shooting for which will begin in Atlanta in July and will continue for six months.

Though Marvel has not shared anything on who will be portraying the central role portrayed by Boseman, Mexican actor Tenoch Huerta is in talks to play one of the antagonists in the film.

Letitia Wright, Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke, and Angela Bassett are expected to return for the new feature, reported The Hollywood Reporter.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.