Kim Kardashian, many Hollywood celebs freeze Insta, FB a/c as protest against spread of hate on social media

Agencies
September 17, 2020

6a1c9f_18.jpg

Washington, Sept 17: Reality TV star Kim Kardashian West, who has one of the biggest Instagram followings in the world -- 188.8 million decided to freeze her social media accounts to protest against the spread of "hate, propaganda and misinformation".

Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Orlando Bloom, Kerry Washington and Sacha Baron Cohen are among those who took part in the protest, which was slated to take place on Wednesday.

The celebrities froze their accounts for 24 hours on Wednesday.

Kardashian West took to micro-blogging site Twitter and wrote: "I love that I can connect directly with you through Instagram and Facebook, but I can't sit by and stay silent while these platforms continue to allow the spreading of hate, propaganda and misinformation - created by groups to sow division and split America apart- only to take steps after people are killed."

"Misinformation shared on social media has a serious impact on our elections and undermines our democracy. Please join me tomorrow when I will be "freezing" my Instagram and FB account to tell Facebook to #StopHateForProfit," she wrote.

Supporting the #StopHateForProfit campaign, Hollywood actor Jennifer Lawrence, also wrote from her Twitter account:"Facebook ignores hate & disinformation on their site. This is not an "operational mistake." It is a deliberate decision to put profits over people and democracy."

Actor Ashton Kutcher, who has millions of followers also joined the boycott, said "these tools were not built to spread hate (and) violence".

According to the media reports, millions of dollars were wiped off Facebook's stock within minutes after Kim Kardashian West temporarily renounced her popular Instagram account.

The organisers of the #StopHateforProfit campaign, which was launched in June, accuse Facebook and Instagram of not doing enough to stop hate speech and disinformation.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 15,2020

sanjay.JPG

Mumbai, Oct 15: Opening up for the first time about his battle with cancer, actor Sanjay Dutt says he is optimistic he will "beat" the disease soon.

In August, the 61-year-old actor had announced that he would be taking a break from his professional commitments to focus on medical treatment, amid reports that he was battling lung cancer.

In an Instagram video, posted on late Wednesday evening, Sanjay Dutt was seen getting a haircut at the salon of celebrity hairstylist Aalim Hakim.

The actor pointed to a scar designed by Hakim as part of the haircut and said, "This is a recent scar in my life, but I'll beat it. I'll be out of this cancer soon."

Sanjay Dutt, along with producer-wife Maanayata Dutt, had flown to Dubai last month to be with their children, nine-year-old fraternal twins Shaahran and Iqra.

The actor, who recently featured in Sadak 2, will be next seen in KGF: Chapter 2 and Ranbir Kapoor-starrer Shamshera.

Sanjay Dutt said he is growing his beard for the sequel of the 2018 action-drama KGF as he is scheduled to start shooting for the film next month. The period action film, starring Yash, marks the Bollywood star's Kannada debut.

"I need the look for the film as we are starting in November. I am happy to be on the sets again. There's 'Shamshera's dubbing lined up too, so that will be fun. It's good to be back," he added.

Towards the end of the video, when Hakim said he was happy that the actor appears in good spirits, Dutt replied he has started working out again, after an apparent weight loss due to the treatment.

"I'm getting my muscles back, they're coming back slowly. I'll get out of this," he said.

Sanjay Dutt is the eldest child of late Bollywood stars Nargis and Sunil Dutt. He has two sisters -- Priya Dutt and Namrata Dutt.

The actor also has a daughter Trishala Dutt (32) from his first marriage to Richa Sharma

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 15,2020

vivek.jpg

Bengaluru, Oct 15: Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi's Mumbai residence is being searched by sleuths of the Bengaluru Central Crime Branch (CCB) in connection with the ongoing investigation into the Sandalwood drugs case.

The search was carried out at the actor's house as he is the brother-in-law of Aditya Alva, an accused in the case who is absconding for more than two months. Alva is the son of former Karnataka minister Jeevaraj Alva.

Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Sandeep Patil said that Aditya Alva is absconding and Vivek Oberoi is his relative. "We got some information that Alva is there (at Oberoi's house). So we wanted to check and hence obtained a court warrant. A CCB team has gone to his house in Mumbai and is searching the house," he said, adding that Oberoi may also know of Alva's whereabouts and hence the house was raided.

It is not yet confirmed whether the actor was in the house when the police arrived for the search. It is learnt that police will question Oberoi to find out whether he has information about Alva's whereabouts.

Recently, the CCB police had raided Alva's posh residence near Hebbal and seized some items. The police have also issued a lookout circular against the fugitive.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 20,2020

srk.JPG

Mumbai, Oct 20: Superstar Shah Rukh Khan has many fond memories of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ), which completed 25 years on Tuesday, but what stands out the most is how the film built his romantic hero image as the actor says he never felt he could pull of a character like that on the screen.

Directed by then debutant Aditya Chopra, son of veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra, DDLJ cemented Shah Rukh's image as the ‘King of Romance’ in Bollywood.

“Raj was unlike anything I had done. Before DDLJ, there was Darr, Baazigar, Anjaam -- films in which I had portrayed negative characters. Also, I always felt that I wasn’t cut out to play any romantic type of character.

"So, when I was presented with the opportunity by Adi and Yash (Chopra) ji of essaying the role, I was excited to work with him but had no idea how to go about it and also if I would be able to do it well,” Shah Rukh said in a statement shared by production banner Yash Raj Films (YRF).

The 54-year-old actor actor said people can see a glimpse of his real self in Raj, particularly in his sense of humour, which the actor borrowed from his own life.

“Actually, I always felt Adi’s love for me made him cast me. I found the character endearing and sweet in the right way -- the over-the-topness is my contribution.

"It was one of those roles that I realised can do with me using a version of my real self so you might see some quirks, habits and mannerisms that were true to my off-screen persona, especially the sense of humour part.”

Though Shah Rukh and Kajol had tasted success as a pair with Baazigar in 1993, it was DDLJ which immortalised them as the ultimate on-screen romantic couple.

DDLJ, the acronym that the film is known by today, shattered box office records at the time and was the only film to be still running in Mumbai’s Maratha Mandir until recently when Covid-19 forced cinema halls to close in March.

Widely credited for changing the grammar of Hindi cinema, the movie, according to YRF, was made at a budget of Rs 4 crore and in 1995 it collected Rs 89 crore in India and Rs 13.50 crore in overseas markets, a total collection of Rs 102.50 crore worldwide.

In today’s inflation adjusted value, the film's collection stands at a staggering Rs 455 crore in India and Rs 69 crore in overseas territories, taking the total worldwide collections to Rs 524 crore, the production house said.

At that time, Shah Rukh recalled, he had been told that he looked unconventional, different from the leading heroes of that era, which made him sceptical about saying all the romantic dialogues in the movie.

“I was told by many people that I looked unconventional -- very different from what the perception of a leading man was. I did feel, maybe, not being handsome enough -- or as they called it then ‘chocolaty’ would make me unsuitable for romantic roles. Also, I am very shy and awkward with ladies, and I didn’t know how I would say all the loving, romantic bits,” he said.

“I have to admit, for someone who doesn’t like mushy, romantic films, the scenes with Kajol and I did make me feel all fuzzy and warm. There, I said it!” the actor said.

Shah Rukh also revealed he never changes the radio channel when a DDLJ song comes on.

"I can never get sick of them. They bring back memories of a film that shaped my path forward in an unforgettable way,” he said of the songs penned by the late Anand Bakshi and composed by Jatin-Lalit.

The train sequence ending of DDLJ is as iconic as the film, inspiring many imitations in Bollywood and elsewhere but Shah Rukh said he had no clue it will become so famous while they were shooting it.

“There could have been no other ending, but I did not think it would be as iconic as it eventually turned out to be.”

The actor said DDLJ brought him fame in a way that he didn’t think it would.

“We were all living in the moment, trying to make the best film we could. There are so many reasons attributed to its success, but I don’t think any one specific thing can explain the phenomenon it has become. I think all the success is to be credited to the pure heart with which the film was made by Adi, Yashji, and the entire cast and crew -- and my non-existent ‘good looks’,” he said.

Thanks to the film, Shah Rukh said he could no longer rely on his “unconventional” looks to play different roles.

“As for perception, I always felt that I can play more unconventional roles because of my looks, but DDLJ has belied that and I still struggle to make that one macho unconventional... character which suits me, or so I thought, but its been a struggle to not be considered romantic and sweet for the last 25 years -- a struggle, I guess, I am happy to lose.”

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.