Housing sites for the poor: Protesters ask JR Lobo to fulfill his poll promise

[email protected] (CD Network | Photos by Chakravarthi)
June 23, 2015

Mangaluru, Jun 23: Hundreds of women and men took part in a demonstration organized by Communist Party of India (Marxists) in front of the office of J.R. Lobo, MLA, Mangaluru City (South), in the city demanding housing sites for the poor.

CPIM protest 1

The demonstrators took out a procession from Nanthoor junction before converging in front of Mr Lobo’s office at Mallikatta on Monday. This is third such protest by the CPI(M) in the city since last year demanding sites.

Addressing a gathering Vasantha Achari, secretary, Dakshina Kannada unit of the party, said that even though providing housing sites for the poor was one of the promises included in Mr Lobo’s election manifest more than two years ago, the latter did not take any necessary steps in this regard.

“In his manifesto for the Assembly election, Mr Lobo had promised that vacant government land would be identified in the city and it would be reserved for the sites. However, he has forgotten this promise,” Mr Achari said.

Recently, the MLA said that 11-acre land had been identified near Kannur for building apartments for the poor. But no steps have been taken to turn that into reality, he said.

The Union government on the other hand is attempting snatch the land of poor farmers through an Ordinance for land acquisition for development projects, he lamented.

Sunil Kumar Bajal, secretary, Mangaluru City South Committee, went on to claim that some of the rich in the city have encroached upon government land, but no steps have been taken against them.

He also threatened that the party threatened that the party would lay siege to the house of the MLA, if the sites were not allotted.

Meanwhile, Mr Lobo approached the protesters and tried to convince them. He promised that the process of allocation would start soon, as the city corporation has received more than 1,200 applications seeking the sites.

A blueprint has been prepared for constructing ‘ground plus two’ type apartment blocks in Kannur, he said adding that about 500 applicants would be accommodated in it in the first phase.

Each flat would cost Rs. 4 lakh. The government would grant Rs. 1.20 lakh and the city corporation would grant Rs. 20,000 per each flat. The balance amount would have to be borne by beneficiaries through bank loan, he said.

CPIM protest 3

CPIM protest 4

CPIM protest 5

CPIM protest 6

CPIM protest 7

CPIM protest 8

Lobo Protest 7

Lobo Protest 1

Lobo Protest 2

Lobo Protest 3

Lobo Protest 4

Lobo Protest 5

Lobo Protest 6

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
February 7,2023

foodpoison.jpg

Mangaluru, Feb 7: The authorities and parents heaved a sigh of relief on Tuesday as most of the nursing and paramedical college students, among 231, who fell sick from food poisoning have recovered.

The hospital authorities have confirmed that most of the students admitted were discharged and many have been sent back after treatment. No student is critical and about 13 students are still under treatment, they stated.

Meanwhile, an FIR has been registered at Kadri police station against the management board, in connection with the food poisoning case based on the complaint lodged by District Surveillance Officer (DSO) Dr Jagadeesh.

As many as 231 nursing and paramedical students from a private hostel in Shaktinagar here hadfallen sick, some seriously, due to food poisoning. Among them 137 students had been admitted to at least five hospitals in the city. 

City police commissioner N Shashi Kumar said, the students had developed stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea, since 2am on Monday, and the college authorities had not shared any details to the family members. It is suspected water contamination could be the reason for food poisoning.

Though they complained of severe distress at 2am, they were brought to the hospital after 9pm. Sources said that the condition of some of the students was serious. While 52 students were admitted at AJ Hospital, 42 at Fr Muller Hospital, 18 at KMC, 14 at Unity Hospital, eight at City Hospital and three at Mangala Hospital. Most of them have already been discharged. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 30,2023

Fazil.jpg

Mangaluru, Jan 30: After Vhishwa Hindu Parsishad leader Sharan Pumpwell openly claimed that Hindutva activists killed innocent Muslim youth Mohammed Fazil in retaliation for the murder of Hindutva leader Praveen Nettaru, Fazil’s father Umar Farooq has urged the Commissioner of Police N Shashi Kumar to arrest  the former immediately. 

Sharan Pumpwell during a programme in Tumakur and in Ullal last weekend had claimed that Fazil’s murder in Surathkal was retaliation for the murder of Praveen Nettaru in Sullia.

“Why police is not arresting Sharan Pumpwell despite his brazen confession in public,” asked the elderly man, who lost his young son to communal terrorists. 

In a memorandum submitted to the Commissioner of Police N Shashi Kumar in Mangaluru on Monday, he said that Pumpwell should be arrested and interrogated, Farooq. 

“Sharan Pumpwell has more information on the death of my son. Hence, he should be arrested immediately,” he said.

Fazil, a resident of Mangalapete in Katipalla in Surathkal was brutally killed in front of a shop in Surathkal on July 28, 2022.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
February 1,2023

upperbhadra.jpg

Bengaluru, Feb 1: In a major announcement for poll-bound Karnataka, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that Rs 5,300 cr assistance would be provided to drought prone central region of Karnataka.

In the Budget 2023, FM Sitharaman said, “Govt to provide Rs 5,300 cr assistance to drought prone central region of Karnataka.”

The allocation was made to support the Upper Bhandra project in the region. The project aims to support the micro-irrigation and filling up of service tanks for drinking water. 

The Upper Bhadra Project is a lift irrigation scheme planned to provide sustainable irrigation facilities in drought prone 2,25,515 hectares of land located in districts including Chikkamagalur, Chitradurga, Tumkur and Davangere by drawing water from Tunga and Bhadra rivers. Through the project, the state also aims to recharge the groundwater table and provide drinking water facilities in the region. 

Budget 2023

Indian Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman presented the fourth budget of NDA government on Tuesday. The budget 2023-2024 is also the last full-term budget for NDA 2.0 before the Indian Parliamentary Elections in 2024. 

The budget provided emphasis on inclusive development, last mile connectivity, infrastructure and investment, unleashing the potential, green growth, youth and the financial sector.

However, after the announcement, Y Sathish Reddy, Chairman, Telangana State Renewable Energy Development Corporation said, "For poll-bound Karnataka, #ModiGovt announces assistance of ₹5300 crore for Upper Bhadra project. The allocation of budget is now directly proportional to the time left for elections in the state? #Telangana projects get “0” Assistance despite several requests!"

The Budget session of the Parliament that began on Tuesday will end on February 13. The next leg of the Parliament will convene on March 12 and go until April 6.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.