Imported onion likely to ease prices in city wholesale market

News Network
October 28, 2020

onion.JPG

Kolkata, Oct 28: The skyrocketing onion prices in the retail market are likely to ease as imported bulbs have put a break, at least temporarily, on the rise in wholesale prices in Kolkata, officials said on Wednesday.

National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (Nafed) has also offloaded a large portion of its buffer stock of onion, which too helped in containing the price rise, they said.

Since the last few weeks, onion prices have remained northbound after crop loss in south India due to incessant rain. The retail price of the bulb had crossed Rs 90 a kg in Kolkata.

"Wholesale prices at Posta market have come down to Rs 55-60 a kg from a high of Rs 67.50 a few days ago. Some parcels of onion from Afghanistan and Egypt have arrived in the wholesale market which helped ease the price," agriculture analyst Sibu Malakar said.

Officials said that Nafed had created a buffer stock of 1 lakh tonne this year to manage onion prices. It is almost double that of the previous year.

According to reports, Nafed had already released 43,000 tonne from the buffer stock and another 22,000 tonne will be offloaded in the first week of November.

Rabindranath Kole, a member of the West Bengal government task force on agriculture, said that the price of onion would remain firm till December.

The Centre has also imposed a quantity restriction of 25 tonne for wholesalers and traders and two tonne for retailers to check price rise.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
November 20,2020

amazon1200-2.jpg

New Delhi, Nov 20: Amazon’s global Senior Vice President and India country head Amit Agarwal on Friday said the company employs almost 1,00,000 workers in the country directly, including tens of thousands of employees in the many global technology teams based out Bengaluru. He said, Indian talent today touches almost every part of Amazon’s global offerings.

“Bengaluru is at the heart of technology and innovation, and we, at Amazon, have certainly been privileged to work with some of the brightest and most talented IT professionals and experience the unique dynamism, resourcefulness, and inventiveness that continues to propel India,” Agarwal was quoted as saying at Bengaluru Tech Summit, 2020 (BTS2020) in a release.

He said the industry-friendly IT policies of successive state governments, the rich talent pool of highly skilled professionals, high-quality institutes of higher learning, the resilience, tenacity and innovation of companies and start-ups have all made Bengaluru what it is today.

Agarwal said technology and mobile internet have transformed daily lives globally, and India is no different, but these are likely to have an even more profound impact on India, as a scalable lever to drive inclusion and equity for society. Urban centres will no longer claim preferential access to products, education, healthcare, or entertainment. MSMEs will not be limited by their local catchment as they dream big, he added.

Agarwal said Indian e-commerce is early in its evolution, with barely 3 per cent of total retail consumption, but is already ushering in faster digitization across the consumption value chain, and enabling expanded access and opportunities for customers and businesses across the country. He also highlighted that e-commerce is blurring the lines between online and offline, between local and global and businesses can seamlessly complement in-store services with doorstep convenience for customers in their locality; and dream beyond to reach customers across India, even globally.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 23,2020

biden.JPG

Nicosia, Nov 23: The New York Times reported that on November 12, US President Donald Trump asked his senior advisers to examine options for airstrikes against Iran's main nuclear facility at Natanz. Trump convened the meeting just one day after the International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors reported a significant increase in Iran's nuclear material.

Fortunately, Trump's advisers persuaded him that the risks of military action against Iran are very high. Had a strike against Iran actually taken place, apart from the fact that would be a clear violation of international law, it would also have scuttled any new deal with Iran, President-elect Joe Biden is pondering.

The nuclear deal, known as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), signed in 2015 with the United States, Germany, France, Britain, China and Russia, allows Iran to keep a stockpile of 202.8 kilograms. Inspectors reported that the stockpile increased to 2,442 kilograms, while Iran continues to enrich uranium to a purity of up to 4.5 per cent, higher than the 3.67 per cent allowed under the deal. It should be noted that low enriched uranium between 3 and 5 per cent can be used for nuclear power, but for nuclear weapons 90 per cent purity is required.

According to New York Times, Trump had to be persuaded not to order the attack by Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley. They pointed out that a military strike would have no basis on international law, while the UN Security Council in all probability would not approve a military action against Iran.

Iranian Government Spokesman Ali Rabiei, responding to the NY Times' report, said that any US attack on Iran would face a "crushing" response.

Meanwhile, the US Administration announced fresh sanctions on numerous Iranian individuals, including the Intelligence Chief and a charitable foundation linked to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Trump had withdrawn from JCPOA in May 2018 and imposed sanctions, which according to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo cut vital and lucrative Iranian exports by some 75 per cent, denying the regime of USD 70 billion in oil. Iran continued to comply with the provisions of JCPOA until July 2019, and then started violating parts of the deal, but last January following the assassination by the US of Major General Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad, it ended all compliance with JCPOA.

As Trump was mulling over an attack on Iran, the Israelis carried out strikes in Syria on Iranian-backed militias. On 18 November, the Israeli Air Force hit targets of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' Quds Force and the Syrian Army in the Golan Heights and Damascus International Airport, as retaliation for the planting of explosives near an Israeli military position in the Golan Heights.

Undoubtedly, if a military attack on Iran took place during Trump's final days in office, it would have certainly derailed Joe Biden's stated election promise to handle Iran "the smart way" and to give the Iranian regime "a credible path back to diplomacy".

Karim Sadjapour, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, says that as both a Senator and a Vice President Biden's views on Iran was always realistic. "He has no illusions about the nature of the Iranian regime and the challenges it poses to US interests, but he's also been a consistent advocate of direct dialogue with Iran.... If Tehran shows a willingness to return to the status quo ante, no questions asked, it would strengthen the argument of those in Washington who favour an immediate return to the JCPOA. But if Tehran insists on being compensated for the sanctions imposed on Iran during the Trump era, or if Iranian leaders attempt to expand their nuclear program or carry out regional provocations in an attempt to expand their nuclear programme, or carry out regional provocations in an attempt to strengthen their bargaining position or signal that they are not weak, it will have the opposite effect."

Paul Adams, BBC diplomatic correspondent points out that Iran, which "has weathered the Trump storm, has its own demands. Officials say the removal of sanctions won't be enough. Iran expects to be compensated for two-and-a-half years of crippling economic damage..... The JCPOA was never a bilateral affair. Its other international sponsors - Russia, China, France, the UK and Germany, plus the European Union - are all, in one way or another, invested in its future. The European sponsors, in particular, are anxious to see Washington once more committed to the deal's success. The UK, France and Germany (the "E3") have tried to keep the deal alive during the Trump years and could now play a role in negotiating the terms of Washington's return. But in London, Paris and Berlin, there's a recognition that the world has moved on and that a simple return to the original deal is unlikely."

A deal between Biden and the Tehran government is possible but could be much more difficult if Tehran insists on demanding compensation for US withdrawal from the deal, or if Biden raises the issues of the Iranian ballistic missiles or the Tehran supported militias in the region.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 22,2020

scan.JPG

Bengaluru, Nov 22: New 1,704 cases surpassed 1,537 recoveries on a single day across Karnataka, taking its Covid tally to 8,73,046, including 24,868 active cases, said the state health bulletin on Sunday.

“With 1,537 discharged on Saturday, recoveries rose to 8,36,505 so far in the state, while 13 succumbed to the infection, taking its death toll to 11,654,” said the bulletin.

As epicentre of the pandemic, Bengaluru registered 1,039 fresh cases, taking its tally to 3,63,665, including 18,172 active cases, while recoveries rose to 3,41,424, with 669 discharged from across the city in the last 24 hours.

With only 10 succumbing to the infection in the last 24 hours, the city’s death toll due to the virus rose to 4,068 since the pandemic broke on March 8.

Of the 470 patients in the intensive care units (ICUs), 237 are in Bengaluru hospitals, 29 in Tumakuru and 27 in Mysuru.

Out of 1,26,904 tests conducted on Sunday, 20,399 were through rapid-antigen detection and 1,06,505 were through RT-PCR method.

“Positivity rate was 1.34 per cent and case fatality rate was 0.76 per cent for the day,” added the bulletin.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.