Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu tests positive for covid-19

News Network
September 29, 2020

naidu.jpg

New Delhi, Sept 29: Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday tested positive for Covid-19 and is in home quarantine.

The 71-year-old Vice President underwent a routine Covid-19 test in the morning and test results showed he had contracted the virus.

"He is however, asymptomatic and in good health. He has been advised home quarantine," the Vice President's office said. His wife, Usha Naidu, has tested negative and is in self-isolation, it added.

Naidu joins the list of high-profile Indians to test positive for Covid-19. 

Earlier, Home Minister Amit Shah and several union ministers, including Dharmendra Pradhan, and Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, and Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa had contracted the virus and recovered.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
October 26,2020

bhim-army.png

New Delhi, Oct 26: Bhim Army chief Chandra Shekhar has said that the convoy he was travelling in, was attacked and fired upon, late on Sunday night, when he was returning after addressing a rally in Bulandshahr district of Uttar Pradesh. "Opposition parties have been terrified of our candidate in Bulandshahr elections and today's rally worried them, due to which my convoy was fired at in a cowardly manner. This shows their desperation... they want the atmosphere to be toxic but we will not let this happen," Chandra Shekhar Azad tweeted late on Sunday night.

Azad, who is also the convener of Azad Samaj Party, said his convoy was fired at when members were campaigning for the upcoming bye-election. It is not clear whether he himself was present during the incident since the Bhim Army chief was scheduled to address a rally in the district.

The incident comes days ahead of the November 3 Bulandshahr bye-election.

Bulandshahr Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Santosh Kumar Singh has denied an attack on Chandra Shekhar's convoy. The SSP said there was information about a mutual conflict between workers affiliated to the candidates of Azad Samaj Party and AIMIM. The police official said reports about an attack on Chandra Shekhar's convoy are yet to be confirmed.

The bye-polls in Uttar Pradesh for seven seats, including the Bulandshahr one, mark the political debut of the Bhim Army which has, till now, remained a quasi-political outfit.

Chandra Shekhar has named Haji Yamin as his party's candidate for the Bulandshahr bye-poll and his Azad Samaj Party is also contesting as many as 30 seats in Bihar under the Progressive Democratic Alliance (PDA) banner, which will be led by the Jan Adhikar Party of Rajesh Ranjan aka Pappu Yadav.

Chandra Shekhar has been a fierce critic of the Uttar Pradesh government over the alleged gang-rape and torture of a Dalit woman in Hathras last month, and its track record in protecting people from marginalised communities.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 20,2020

bombthreat.JPG

Bengaluru, Oct 20: A letter and parcel addressed to the magistrate of the NDPS court and the city court threatening to carry out attacks if the accused in the drug racket case and “innocent people” arrested in D.J. Halli case were not released is being investigated by the Halasurugate police.

According to the police, the parcel addressed to magistrate Seenappa was found on the court hall-37 premises on Monday. The parcel was kept outside. The staff opened and noticed in it a detonator-like substance and immediately alerted the police.

The police, with the bomb squad, arrived at the spot and recovered the substance.

D.J. Halli case

The letter demanded bail for arrested actors Ragini Dwivedi and Sanjjanaa Galrani, and also release of innocent people” arrested “in the K.G. Halli and D.J. Halli violence case.

Sandeep Patil, Joint Commissioner of Police, said a case is being booked and investigation is on to ascertain the source of the letter.

The police are contemplating providing security to the magistrate in the wake of the threat letter. The police suspect that it could be an act of mischief mongers to create fear psychosis. “However, we are taking this very seriously,” a police officer said.

The police are analysing CCTV camera footage and inquiring with the court security and housekeeping staff to ascertain if they had noticed anything suspicious.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
October 13,2020

960x0.jpg

California, Oct 13: Facebook on Monday said it will prohibit any content that denies or distorts the Holocaust, directing people to credible information off Facebook if they search for terms associated with the Holocaust or its denial on its platform.

Updating its hate speech policy, the social network said that organisations that study trends in hate speech are reporting increases in online attacks against many groups worldwide.

"Our decision is supported by the well-documented rise in anti-Semitism globally and the alarming level of ignorance about the Holocaust, especially among young people," Monika Bickert, VP of Content Policy at Facebook, said in a statement.

Facebook said it has to date banned more than 250 white supremacist organisations and updated its policies to address militia groups and far-right group QAnon.

It took down 22.5 million pieces of hate speech from its platform in the second quarter this year.

"Beginning later this year, we will direct anyone to credible information off Facebook if they search for terms associated with the Holocaust or its denial on our platform," Bickert said.

According to a recent survey of adults in the US aged 18-39, almost a quarter said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, that it had been exaggerated or they weren't sure.

Facebook said it has worked with communities around the world to help it understand how hatred, including anti-Semitism, is expressed online.

"These efforts have included regular discussions with groups that have a global reach, like the World Jewish Congress and the American Jewish Committee," Facebook said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.