Mangaluru, Jan 11: Nearly two dozen people were hospitalized after a hazardous gas leakage from a factory at the Baikampady Industrial Area on the outskirts of the city today.
The incident took place at Everest Seafoods company. It is learnt that ammonia, a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent smell, which dissolves in water to give a strongly alkaline solution, was liked from the company’s plant accidentally.
There were around 80 workers employed at the plant. Among them nearly two dozen people reported ill after the leakage. Hence they were taken to hospital.
Authorities concerned and police visited the spot and are investigating the matter.