Kerala HC refuses to extend US citizen's stay who 'felt safer in India' amid covid-19

Agencies
July 30, 2020

Kochi, Jul 30: The Kerala High Court on Thursday refused to grant the extension for the stay of a 74-year-old US citizen, Johnny Paul Pierce, who had earlier said that he felt safer to remain in India than in the United States amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The single-judge bench of Justice CS Dias, which considered the writ petition, observed that the grant or extension of visa to foreign nationals fall exclusively within the domain of the Government of India (GoI) and that judicial review in such matters is minimal.

The power of the GoI to expel foreigners is absolute and unlimited, the bench said.

"In view of the categoric declaration of law by the Supreme Court, the plea of the petitioner to permit him to stay back in India cannot be accepted, as it falls within the purview of the guidelines and the discretion of the Government of India," the order said.

"The petitioner cannot be heard that the guidelines/policies/regulations formulated by the Government of India, that an American national though has been granted a visa having validity of five years has to leave India within 180 days, is irrational or unreasonable," it added.

The High Court, which was hearing a plea to permit the US citizen to stay in India for a further period of six months, said that the petitioner does not have a case that there is an infraction of Article 21 of the Constitution of India.

"The petitioner was well aware of the visa conditions when he arrived in India, and it is too late in the day for him to raise a grievance on the visa conditions," the bench said noting that the petitioner's love for India was heartening.

The High Court also directed the Foreigners Registration Officer to consider the petitioner's representation within a period of two weeks in accordance with the applicable guidelines and policies.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 17,2020

delegation.JPG

New Delhi, Sept 17: Opposition leaders met President Ram Nath Kovind on Thursday and raised questions about the role of the police during the February riots, besides expressing their lack of confidence in the probe of the incident.

In a joint memorandum, the leaders raised their concerns over the probe into the riots being conducted by the Delhi Police.

The Delhi Police has set up Special Investigation Teams (SIT) and its Special Cell is also probing the aspect of conspiracy behind the Delhi riots in which 53 people lost their lives.

"There are, however, serious questions about the role played by the Delhi Police during the violence and also the manner in which the police is harassing and attempting to falsely implicate activists and young people who took part in the anti CAA/NRC/NPR movements as the perpetrators of violence.

"Such a manufactured conspiracy theory has now begun to falsely implicate political leaders," it said.

The memorandum also criticised the police for the reference made to CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury citing disclosure statements by the accused.

"This is a disturbing trend that raises serious questions over the manner of such investigations," the leaders said.

They also alleged that there are several publicly documented accounts and videos of police being "complicit in the violence, directing mobs pelting stones or looking the other way when mobs were indulging in violence".

"During the violence, a disturbing video emerged showing uniformed policemen assaulting young men lying injured on the road and forcing them to sing the national anthem while repeatedly beating them with lathis.

"One of the men, Faizan, succumbed to his injuries a few days later," the memorandum said highlighting other such instances, including one in which they alleged the "DCP stood quietly next to a BJP leader who was instigating violence against the protestors, warning that if they did not vacate the road, he would do it himself".

"Despite several complaints being filed alleging involvement of senior police officials in the violence, including a DCP, additional commissioner and SHO, it appears no urgency has been accorded to identifying the policemen involved in the violence and ensuring that they are brought to book," it said.

It also pointed out that while the police was "silent" on the alleged hate speech of BJP leaders, and turned a blind eye towards the role of its own personnel during the violence, the probe appeared to be pursuing a line of inquiry "criminalising the protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA)" and portraying them as a conspiracy which resulted in the riots in Delhi.

"The entire investigation appears to be aimed at arriving at a pre-meditated theory about a conspiracy propounded by the Home Minister in Lok Sabha in March 2020, before any investigation had even begun into the riots," it said.

The memorandum also said that the ongoing investigation by the Delhi police did not inspire confidence as there were serious questions about the "impartiality" of the probe.

"A credible and unbiased probe is crucial to restore public trust in the law and order machinery of the state.

The investigation cannot be allowed to become a fishing and roving expedition aimed at causing a chilling effect on dissent and protest in the country.

"We, therefore, urge you to call upon Government of India to institute an inquiry into this investigation under the Commission of Inquiry Act, 1952, headed by sitting/retired judge(s)," the memorandum said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 17,2020

modiii.jpg

New Delhi, Sept 17: Prime Minister Narendra Modi turns 70 today, Twitterati is observing National unemployment day on the occasion as a mark of protest against rising unemployment.

Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi turns 70 on September 17, 2020. His party, the ruling BJP has added that it will celebrate the PM’s birthday in a week-long ‘Seva Spatha’ from September 14-20.On the other hand on Twitter, the netizens have decided to mark the day as “National Unemployment Day” .This is being done to highlight the Prime Minister’s failure to create jobs and provide employment for the people of the country. Employment was the agenda, Modi had contested the Lok Sabha elections in 2014.

Twitter users, have been, tweeting thousands of posts with hashtag #17Sept17Hrs17Minutes and called on people to take part in the Twitter campaign on September 17.Several users asserted that the youths of the country were frustrated over the unemployment and lack of opportunities in the market. Along with #17Sept17Hrs17Minutes another hashtag in Hindi is trending #राष्ट्रीयबेरोजगारदिवस. The trending hashtag marks as a protest against the high unemployment rates in the country. India’s April-June quarter GDP is contracted by a 23.9 percent.

Prime Minister Modi instead of making efforts for the employment suggested pakoda frying and selling as the alternatives to the youth. The unemployment in India crossed the four-decade low but the government has been shrugging off the responsibility by calling it an 'act of god'. Congress has been raising the issue of unemployment.

General secretary Priyanka Gandhi has questioned the government on the issue. The hashtag protest against Unemployment on PMs birthday brings out the disappointment and anger of the people against the government and the PM who did not keep his promise

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 7,2020

khapeel.JPG

Lucknow, Sept 7: Putting an end to speculation about him joining the Congress after being released from jail recently, Dr Kafeel Khan said that he is a doctor and would like to remain so.

He was recently released from Mathura jail after the Allahabad High Court quashed his detention under the stringent National Security Act (NSA). The court had ordered his immediate release, asserting that his speech at the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) didn't promote hatred or violence, rather gave a call for national integrity.

Dr Khan, who is presently in Rajasthan, told news agency over phone that he will "not join any political party".

"I am a doctor and would like to remain the same," he said and expressed a desire to visit flood-hit areas of Bihar and help the victims.

He said that when his release was delayed after the Allahabad High Court order on September 1, it was feared that the Uttar Pradesh government was preparing to implicate him again in a case.

"Because of the apprehension that I could be implicated in any other case by the Uttar Pradesh government, Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra had helped me on humanitarian grounds," he said but made it clear that it should not be construed as he is going to join the Congress.

Dr Khan said there has been no discussion regarding politics with Priyanka Gandhi, nor has he got any indication as such from the Congress leader.

"As there is a Congress government in Rajasthan and the distance from Mathura to Bharatpur is of just 20 minutes, Priyanka Gandhi offered me to come to Bharatpur".

He thanked the Congress general secretary saying it was due to her he got "security" in Rajasthan.

Dr Kafeel said that he has written a letter to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath urging him to reinstate him to his post at Gorakhpur Medical College so that he can serve the people.

Khan, who worked as a paediatrician at Gorakhpur's BRD Medical College, first hit headlines in 2017 after several children died at the hospital due to the lack of oxygen cylinders.

Initially, he was hailed as a saviour for the children for arranging emergency oxygen cylinders. However, later, he faced action along with nine other doctors and staff members of the hospital, all of whom were released on bail.

A state government probe had cleared Khan of all major charges, prompting him to seek an apology from the Yogi Adityanath government. The doctor had alleged that an institutional failure had led to the deaths of the children.

Khan was again arrested in January this year on the charge of delivering a provocative speech at the AMU during the anti-Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) protests. After the Allahabad High Court ordered his release on September 1, he walked out of Mathura jail late in the night.

Comments

Ahmed
 - 
Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020

Dr. Kafeel Khan deserves security guards . Appreciate his courage and dedication on his profession.
Sometimes I feel he was safer in jail than outside, when Gauri Lankesh madam assassination was remembered...

Ahmed
 - 
Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020

Dr. Kafeel Khan deserves security guards . Appreciate his courage and dedication on his profession.
Sometimes I feel he was safer in jail than outside, when Gauri Lankesh madam assassination was remembered...

Ahmed
 - 
Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020

Dr. Kafeel Khan deserves security guards . Appreciate his courage and dedication on his profession.
Sometimes I feel he was safer in jail than outside, when Gauri Lankesh madam assassination was remembered...

Ahmed
 - 
Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020

Dr. Kafeel Khan deserves security Y+ . I sometime feels he was safer in jail than outside. Gauri Lankesh assassination is reminded.

Ahmed
 - 
Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020

Dr. Kafeel Khan deserves security Y+ . I sometime feels he was safer in jail than outside. Gauri Lankesh assassination is reminded.

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.