Beware of bacon, ham, sausages... Eating processed meat increases breast cancer risk

Agencies
October 5, 2018

Boston, Oct 5: Consuming processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages, salami and beef jerky may increase the risk of developing breast cancer, researchers claim. Studies on red and processed meat consumption with breast cancer risk have generated inconsistent results, said researchers at Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health in the US.

An analysis published in the international Journal of Cancer has now examined all published studies on the topic.

Comparing the highest to the lowest category in the 15 studies included in the analysis, processed meat consumption was associated with a nine per cent higher breast cancer risk.

"Previous works linked increased risk of some types of cancer to higher processed meat intake, and this recent meta-analysis suggests that processed meat consumption may also increase breast cancer risk," said Maryam Farvid from the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health.

"Therefore, cutting down processed meat seems beneficial for the prevention of breast cancer," Farvid said.

The researchers did not observe a significant association between red (unprocessed) meat intake and risk of breast cancer.

Two studies evaluated the association between red meat and breast cancer stratified by patients' genotypes regarding N-acetyltransferase 2 acetylator.

Differences in activity of this enzyme are thought to modify the carcinogenic effect of meat.

The researchers did not observe any association among patients with either fast or slow N-acetyltransferase 2 acetylators.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 20,2020

mosque.jpg

Lucknow, Sept 20: The mosque to come up in Ayodhya pursuant to the Supreme Court verdict in the so called Ram Janmabhoomi case may have a shape that is different from the traditional shape of mosques and will not be named after any emperor or king.

Secretary and spokesperson of the Indo-Islamic Cultural Foundation (IICF) Athar Hussain said on Sunday, "A mosque measuring 15,000 square feet will be built in Dhannipur village. It will be of the same size as that of the Babri mosque. The shape of the mosque may be completely different from that of other mosques. It may be square-shaped like the Kaaba in Makkah, as hinted by architect SM Akhtar."

To a question on whether the mosque at Dhannipur will have no domes or minarets like the Kaaba, Hussain said it could be a possibility.

He said the architect has been given a free hand in this regard.

"The mosque will not be named Babri Masjid. It will not be named after any king or emperor. My personal opinion is that it should be called the Dhannipur Masjid," Hussain said.

He also informed that the trust is making its portal so that people can donate for the mosque and the museum, hospital and research centre which will be built inside the complex. Write-ups by national and international Islamic scholars will also appear on the portal.

He said some work on the portal is yet to be completed and hence, donation is yet to begin.

The Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board has formed the IICF, a trust, for the construction of the mosque on a five-acre plot.

The state government has allotted the five-acre plot in Ayodhya's Dhannipur for the construction of the mosque on the directive of the apex court.

After a protracted legal tussle, the Supreme Court, on November 9 last year, ruled in favour of the construction of a Ram temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya and directed the Centre to allot an alternative five-acre plot to the Sunni Waqf Board for building a new mosque at a "prominent" place in the holy town in Uttar Pradesh.

The Babri mosque in Ayodhya was demolished on December 6, 1992 by "karsevaks", who claimed that an ancient Ram temple stood at the same site.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
September 16,2020

upsc.jpg

New Delhi: At a time when Sangh Parivar backed media targeting Muslim institution for encouraging students from the oppressed community to crack the Civil Services Examination, an RSS-backed coaching institute has claimed a 61 per cent success rate in this year’s exam.

Samkalp Foundation has claimed that out of the 759 candidates picked by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to enter the civil services this year, 466 had undertaken its Interview Guidance Program (IGP).

According to Sankalp's website, 649 candidates had enrolled for the IGP, out of the 990 candidates chosen by the UPSC in 2018. In 2017, 2016, and 2015, the numbers were 689, 648, and 670 against the total recruitment of 1,099, 1,078, and 1,236, respectively.

Meanwhile, senior journalist Vijaita Singh shared a picture of an invitation card from the foundation, wherein Union Petroleum Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, and Nagaland Governor RN Ravi will interact with the successful candidates as Chief Guests of the Webinar meeting.

The webinar meeting is scheduled for September 20 at 11:00 am where several other Guests of Honors will address the candidates along with Pradhan and Ravi.

Last year, Home Minister Amit Shah and senior RSS functionary Krishna Gopal had delivered a lecture on national security to retired and serving civil servants at an event organised by Samkalp. Gopal is one of the senior-most 'mentors' at the foundation.

The foundation's photo gallery on its website is filled with photographs of its students with BJP ministers such as Smriti Irani, Prakash Javadekar and Ramesh Pokhriyal.

About Sankalp Foundation

Samkalp started as an organisation engaged in running schools in several towns and cities of north India in 1986. As an organisation which gives training to school teachers to inculcate "rashtriya bhawna" in its early age, it morphed into one of the leading institutes training civil service aspirants in the 1990s.

It had reportedly trained 26 aspirants in its first batch, 14 of whom qualified for the civil services. No one made it to the IAS but one aspirant joined the IPS while others joined other Central services.

The next year, Samkalp breached the IAS barrier, and 13 of their alumni qualified for this prestigious service. The number of aspirants who approached the institute was 84, and 59 of them qualified for different services.

By 1999-2000, more than 100 interviewees had reportedly approached Samkalp as its success rate went up to 90 percent. Over the years, the foundation started centres in different cities like Agra, Ludhiana, Bhopal, and Bhilai, apart from its first centers in Delhi.

While the claim of the foundation has created little controversy and public discussion on the telecast of a program by Sudarshan TV News about the entry of Muslims into the All-India Services after clearing the UPSC exams has created much furore.

On Tuesday, Supreme Court made some strong oral remarks taking objection to the show, which had portrayed the large entry of Muslims into UPSC as "UPSC Jihad".

Comments

Athul kiran
 - 
Saturday, 19 Sep 2020

I like to study IAS COACHING. I AM PLUS 2 STUDENTS. APPLY FOR DEGREE COURSE.

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 11,2020

kangana.JPG

Mumbai, Sept 11: The seers of Ayodhya and the Vishva Hindu Parishad have openly supported controversial actress Kangana Ranaut, who has involved in a face-off with the Shiv Sena. They also said that Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray is no more welcome in Ayodhya where Ram Temple is being built after demolition of Babri Masjid.

Thackeray had visited Ayodhya on November 24, 2018, then on June 16 last year and again in March this year after becoming the chief minister.

The war of words between Ranaut and Thackeray’s Shiv Sena had intensified after the Mumbai civic body partially demolished the actor’s illegal office in the city on Wednesday.

Ranaut, who landed in Mumbai on Wednesday from Himachal Pradesh, angry and caustic as she took on the Shiv Sena, called her home “Ram mandir”, referred to ‘Bullywood’ and described herself as the daughter of Chhatrapati Shivaji in a series of tweets and a video.

Addressing Maharashtra Chief Minister and Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray, Ranaut posted a video message saying his “ego will be destroyed” the way her Bandra home was demolished.

“Uddhav Thackeray, ‘tujhe kya lagta hai (what do you think)?’ You think you have taken a huge revenge by destroying my house in collusion with the movie mafia. Today my house is destroyed, tomorrow it will be your ego. The wheels of time keep changing,” she said in a video message in Hindi, referring to the chief minister in the informal ‘tu’ rather than the more respectful ‘aap’.

Mahant Kanahiya Das, head of the Ayodhya Sant Samaj, accused the Maharashtra government of shielding those who are involved in anti-social activities and warned the Maharashtra CM against coming to Ayodhya.

“Now, Uddhav Thackeray is no more welcome in Ayodhya. Why is the Shiv Sena attacking Ranaut? Everyone can understand. It is not a mystery. The Shiv Sena is not what it used to be under Balasaheb Thackeray, founder of the party,” said Kanahiya Das.

Ranaut has crossed swords with the Shiv Sena with her remark comparing Mumbai to Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir.

Meanwhile, the Naga seers of Hanuman Garhi temple in Ayodhya have also extended support to Ranaut.

Raju Das, priest of the temple, questioned the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s demolition of Ranaut’s office. “Uddhav Thackeray and Shiv Sena are no more welcome in Ayodhya. Now, the Maharashtra chief minister will face stiff opposition from seers of Ayodhya if he comes here,” warned Das.

“The Maharashtra government acted without wasting any time against the actor. But the same government is yet to take action against the killers of two seers in Palghar,” said Das. He was referring to the killing of two sadhus and their driver on April 16 in Palghar, Maharashtra, by an unruly mob.

The Naga sadhus and the Akhil Bhartiya Akhada Parishad (ABAP) — the apex decision-making body of the 13 recognised Hindu monastic orders of the country -- have demanded a CBI probe into the Palghar killings.

“The Maharashtra government is acting with a malafide motive against Ranaut. It was not expected from the Shiv Sena to attack a woman and demolish her office without any reason,” said Sharad Sharma, regional spokesperson of VHP.

“It is very clear that the Shiv Sena is deliberately targeting the actor because she is supporting nationalist forces and has raised her voice against drug Mafiosi of Mumbai,” added Sharma.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.