Egypt’s former president, Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Morsi dies 'in court'

News Network
June 17, 2019

Egypt's former President Mohamed Morsi has died after appearing in court in the capital, Cairo, according to authorities.

The public prosecutor said the 67-year-old collapsed in a defendants' cage in the courtroom and was pronounced dead in hospital at 4:50pm local time (02:50 GMT) on Monday. A medical report showed no apparent recent injuries on his body, the prosecutor said.

"Morsi died today while attending a session in his trial on espionage charges. During the session, he was granted permission to address the judge," a presenter with Egypt's state TV said.

"After the session was adjourned, the former president blacked out and then died. His body was taken to a hospital."

The former president's son, Abdullah Mohamed Morsi, told Reuters news agency that the family did not know the location of his body. He added that the authorities had refused to allow Morsi be buried at his family's cemetery.

Morsi had a history of health issues, including diabetes and liver and kidney disease. He had suffered from medical neglect during his imprisonment, compounded by the poor conditions in jail.

There have been various reports over the years that Morsi had been mistreated and tortured in jail, with activists saying on Monday his death should be seen in context of the Egyptian authorities' systematic isolation and mistreatment of political detainees.

Human Rights Watch called the news of Morsi's death "terrible" but "entirely predictable", citing the government's "failure to allow him adequate medical care".

"The government of Egypt today bears responsibility for his death, given their failure to provide him with adequate medical care or basic prisoner rights," the group said in a statement to Al Jazeera.

Morsi became Egypt's first democratically elected president in 2012, one year after the Arab Spring uprising saw the end of President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year rule.

He was then deposed in July 2013 following mass protests and a military coup led by Egypt's current President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, and was immediately arrested.

Morsi served just one year of a four-year term, while the organisation to which he belonged, the Muslim Brotherhood, has since been outlawed.

Morsi, who was facing at least six trials, had been behind bars for nearly six years and was serving a 20-year prison sentence for a conviction arising from the killing of protesters during demonstrations in 2012. He was also serving a life sentence for espionage in a case related to the Gulf state of Qatar.

Other charges against the former president included jailbreak, insulting the judiciary and involvement in "terrorism".

His supporters say the charges against him were politically motivated.

In November 2016, the Court of Cassation scrapped the life imprisonment sentence for Morsi and 21 other defendants, including some who had received the death penalty in the same case, and ordered a retrial.

Throughout his imprisonment, Morsi was only allowed three visits from his family.

The first was in November 2013, and the second, which only his wife and daughter were allowed to see him, was in June 2017.

The final visit where his entire family was permitted to see him in the presence of security forces was in September 2018.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was the first world leader to pay tribute to Morsi, calling him a "martyr."

"May Allah rest our brother Morsi, our martyr's soul in peace," said Erdogan, who had forged close ties with late former president.

Denied medical treatment

Last year, a report by three British members of parliament, under the Independent Detention Review Panel, warned that the lack of medical treatment could result in Morsi's "premature death".

"Our conclusions are stark," Crispin Blunt, the panel's chairman, said at the time. "The denial of basic medical treatment to which he is entitled could lead to his premature death."

He added: "The whole overseeing chain of command up to the current president would have responsibility for this." 

The members of the panel were denied access by Egyptian authorities to visit Morsi, and relied on testimonies, witness statements, NGO reports and independently submitted evidence.

They said that Morsi was being kept in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, which under the UN guidelines, would classify as torture.

"Morsi's trial was not put on live TV, he was put on a glass soundproof cage," Al Jazeera's Jamal Elshayyal said.

"He wasn't allow to see his lawyers one-to-one and he wasn't allowed family visits; his family repeatedly complained that aside from the solitary confinement he also wasn't being given the medical treatment he should have," added Elshayyal.

"Therefore, these are the facts that we know. Whatever the state decides to tell us afterwards has to be taken in the context."

Comments

abdulla
 - 
Tuesday, 18 Jun 2019

Murderers of Democray killed this great leader who was legitimately selected.   However, so called civilised countries have closed their eyes and bliding watching the procedure.   Power was forcibly taken over by power + money hungry military head supported by inhuman foreign countries.   Selection of this great leader was not agreeable especially to USA + ISRAEL and they collaborated with Military leader + few other countries to bring the democratically selected leader out of power.   This is not a good move as it is murder of democracy.   

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 18,2021

Mangaluru, Jan 18: The anti-cow slaughter ordinance came into effect in Karnataka on Monday, with provisions of up to seven years in jail and (or) a fine of up to Rs 10 lac for those 'illegally' involved in cow slaughtering, smuggling or selling of beef in the state.

Chief minister Yediyurappa who is in Udupi set the law in motion on Monday realizing the dream of Mahatma Gandhi. "Mahatma Gandhi wanted to place a ban cow slaughter soon after independence," the CM said.

“The law will be in force from Monday, January 18. It is a historic decision. Slaughter of cattle will not be permitted for whatsoever reason in the state after this. The ban is imposed as per the desire of people in the state. We have set in motion the law after offering pooja to the cow in Udupi. We request people to cooperate with regard to the law,” he added.

The newly amended law bans transportation of cattle within Karnataka or to other states. The transportation is allowed only with due permission from the competent authority and against the payment of fee if the purpose is to use cattle only for the agricultural or animal husbandry activities.

The Karnataka Prevention of Slaughter and Preservation of Cattle Act, 2020, which envisages a ban on all forms of cattle slaughter and stringent punishment for offenders, is a revised version of a Bill that was passed in 2010 when the BJP was in power.

Subsequently, in 2013, Congress came to power and the BJP's 2010 contentious Bill was shelved. The Congress had reverted to the less stringent Karnataka Prevention of Cow Slaughter and Preservation of Animals Act, 1964, which allows cow slaughter with certain restrictions.

While the 1964 law banned the killing of "any cow or calf of she-buffalo", it allowed the slaughter of bullock, buffalo-male or female if it was certified by a competent authority to be above the age of 12 years or incapacitated for breeding or deemed sick.

Due to lack of majority in the Upper House, the ruling BJP was unable to move this Bill there and decided to take an Ordinance route and promulgated the Ordinance on December 28.

After the state Cabinet passed it, the Ordinance was sent for the approval of the Governor Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala. The Ordinance was formally approved on January 5 and it is coming into effect in the state from Monday onwards.

According to the order, three to seven years imprisonment and a fine starting from Rs 50,000 to Rs 5 lakh can be imposed under this law and subsequent repeat offences can invite fines up to Rs 10 lakh.

The amended Act states that the slaughter of cows and calves are not allowed while the slaughter of buffaloes above 13 years is allowed.

The Act, however, is ambiguous on the part of the consumption of beef, as it does not specify or prohibit the consumption of beef.

The Act states that slaughtering of buffalo above the age of 13 years, cattle that suffer from an incurable disease, and for experimental or research purposes by recognised institutes is allowed.

Karnataka Law Minister J. C. Madhuswamy said: "When the slaughter of buffalo above 13 years is allowed, how can we close down Cattle slaughterhouse in the state or be a complete ban on the beef ban?"

"Illegal selling, transportation or culling of cows has been made punishable. If a cow has contracted a disease, which can spread to other cattle, then it can be culled or slaughtered," the Act said.

The amended Act has a provision to set up special courts for the speedy trial of the accused. It also makes provision for setting up Goshala or cattle-sheds for the protection of livestock.

Police have been given powers to conduct checking and most importantly the law also gives protection to those who protect this livestock.

The Act also allows a competent authority to monitor atrocities on cattle, receive complaints as well as to issue permits to the transportation of cattle.

Karnataka in its order said that the Act is aimed to provide comprehensive legislation for the prevention of slaughter and preservation of cattle in the state.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 19,2021

Easy ride for ST Somashekar in Yeshwanthpur?

Mysuru, Jan 19: Mysuru District In-charge Minister S T Somashekar said the BJP government and its ministers do not need the certificate of the former chief minister and Opposition Leader Siddaramaiah.

Speaking to media persons here on Tuesday, Somashekar said, the certificates of the BJP high-command and the Union Home Minister is enough.

Neither Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa nor the other ministers need Siddaramaiah's certificate. "He should stop predicting the future of the BJP and its government. Rather he should concentrate on his duties as Opposition Leader and on his own party affairs. Such statements, for publicity sake, are not good for him. He seems to be too free and looks like he is learning astrology. He is only predicting the removal of Yediyurappa since the past few months. But there is an issue of change in chief minister in the BJP," Somasekhar said.

He said, "The chief minister has handled the Covid-19 crisis and other issues ably. Union Home Minister Amit Shah himself has lauded the chief minister in this regard. Yediyurappa will be CM for the remaining term of the government for two and a half years. Amit Shah has reiterated this. So there is no need for Siddaramaiah's certificate".

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 11,2021

airindia.jpg

Bengaluru, Jun 11: An all-women cockpit crew operating Air India's inaugural San Francisco-Bengaluru flight arrived in Karnataka's capital after flying over the North Pole and covering a distance of about 16,000 kilometres.

The flight number AI176 left San Francisco on Saturday at 8.30 PM (local time) and arrived in Bengaluru at 3.45 AM on Monday, according to Air India sources.

Flying over the North Pole, this is also, arguably, the second-longest route in the world for a commercial flight. The landmark flight spanned a distance of 13,993 kms, linking two tech hubs located diametrically at opposite ends of the world with a time zone change of about 13.5 hours.

Commanded by Capt Zoya Aggarwal, the Boeing 777-200LR aircraft also had in the cockpit Capt Papagiri Thanmai, Capt Akansha Sonaware and Capt Shivani Manhas. Captain Zoya has a flying experience of over 8,000 hours and has over 10 years of experience commanding a B-777 aircraft.

A huge posse of mediapersons gathered at the Bengaluru Airport as the four pilots emerged out of the arrival terminal, welcomed with a huge round of applause. The beaming foursome showed no signs of any jetlag as they proudly proclaimed their arrival with a thumbs up.

“It has been a great experience. Today, we successfully completed one of the longest flights as an all-women team, a dream realised to connect the world’s two Silicon Valleys. We have turned a new chapter in aviation history,” remarked Capt Zoya.

Union Minister for Civil Aviation, Hardeep Singh Puri tweeted, "Way to go girls! Professional, qualified & confident, the all women cockpit crew takes off from San Francisco to Bengaluru on @airindiain's flight to fly over the North Pole. Our Nari Shakti achieves a historic first."

Air India too expressed its elation when it tweeted, "Imagine this : -All Women Cockpit Crew. -Longest flight into India. -Crossing the North Pole It's here & happening! Records broken. History in the making by AI176 from @flySFO to @BLRAirport. AI 176 is cruising at 30000 feet." 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.