With 36,652 new COVID-19 cases, India crosses 96-lakh mark

News Network
December 5, 2020

coronacaseload.jpg

New Delhi, Dec 5: The overall coronavirus cases in India crossed the 96-lakh mark with 36,652 new COVID-19 infections in the last 24 hours, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said on Saturday.

The overall COVID-19 cases reached 96,08,211, including 4,09,689 active cases and 90,58,822 recoveries.

Meanwhile, India reported less than 50,000 cases for the 28th day in a row.

With 512 new deaths, the cumulative toll mounted to 1,39,700.

According to the ministry, calibrated and effective strategy of the Centre focused on high levels of testing, combined with early identification, timely tracing, isolation, and hospitalisation for the severe cases, have resulted in a manageable number of active cases and continuously rising number of recoveries. "India's active cases have fallen below 4.2 lakhs, while the recovered cases have leapt past 90 lakhs," the MoHFW said on Saturday.

India's active caseload was 4.35 per cent of the total number of cases as on Friday.

The last time the daily new cases crossed the 50,000-threshold was on November 7.

Meanwhile, the total number of tests for the COVID-19 conducted in the country reached 14,58,85,512, of which, 11,57,763 were conducted on Friday, according to the Indian Council of Medical Research.

Maharashtra has the maximum number of active cases in the country at 84,938, the Union Health Ministry said. A total of 17,10,050 people have also recovered from the coronavirus infection in the state, while 47,599 have lost their lives to it, it said.

In Delhi, the coronavirus situation has started to see considerable improvement. There were 28,252 active COVID-19 cases on Saturday. The national capital has reported 5,48,376 recoveries and 9,497 death till Saturday morning, said the Union Health Ministry.

On Friday, during an all-party meeting, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said that the COVID-19 vaccine is expected in the next few weeks, and vaccination will start in India as soon as scientists give a green signal.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 10,2021

Chandigarh, Jan 10: Protesting farmers on Sunday took control and ransacked the venue of ‘kisan mahapanchayat’ program at Kaimla village in Haryana's Karnal district where Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar was to address people to highlight the “benefits” of the Centre's three agriculture laws.

Earlier, Haryana Police used water cannons and lobbed teargas shells to prevent farmers from marching towards the village.

However, farmers reached the venue and disrupted the ‘kisan mahapanchayat’ programme.

They damaged the stage and broke chairs, tables and flower pots at the venue. The farmers also took control over a makeshift helipad where chief minister’s helicopter was to land.

The programme was cancelled due to an unruly act by farmers at the behest of BKU leader Gurnam Singh Charuni, BJP leader Raman Mallik said.

Police had made elaborate security arrangements for the chief minister's visit to the village where he was to speak to people to highlight the “benefits” of the Centre's three farm laws.

Under the banner of Bharatiya Kisan Union (Charuni), farmers, who have been demanding that the laws be repealed, had earlier announced to oppose the 'kisan mahapanchayat'.

Farmers were carrying black flags and shouting slogans against the BJP-led government as they attempted to march towards Kaimla village.

Police had put up barricades at the entry points of the village to prevent protesting farmers from reaching the programme venue.

The situation turned tense as farmers were adamant that they would not allow the chief minister to hold the programme.

Policemen were seen trying to pacify the agitating farmers but they went ahead to take control of the stage.

“We will not allow the government to hold this programme,” a protester said.

Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala slammed Chief Minister Khattar for using water cannons and teargas shells against farmers.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
January 13,2021

Gonda, Jan 13: A constable has alleged that she was raped by a colleague in Uttar Pradesh's Gonda district, officials said on Wednesday.

A case was registered in this regard on Tuesday night at the women police station, they said.

Superintendent of Police Shailesh Kumar Pandey said the policewoman accused the constable of raping her on January 10 on the pretext of showing her his room.

The woman alleged that he also threatened her of dire consequences if she resited.

Based on her complaint, a case was registered against the constable, the SP said.

Pandey said the woman constable has been sent for a medical examination.

Efforts are on to trace the absconding accused, police said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
January 14,2021

Gorakhpur, Jan 14: Police have lodged a case against a man from Karnataka after a 19-year-old college girl in Uttar Pradesh, who had reportedly fallen in love with him, went missing.

A missing report was lodged by the woman's father on January 5 after she did not return home from college, Station House Officer, Chiluatal police station, Neeraj Kumar Rai said.

"During an investigation and with the help of call records of the woman's mobile phone, it was found that she used to frequently talk to the man whose name in the Truecaller app was mentioned as Mehboob and the location as Karnataka," he said.

A case was lodged against the man on January 11, following which a three-member police team was sent to Karnataka to trace the man and the missing woman, Rai said.

On the basis of these inputs, the woman's father lodged an FIR against the man and accused him of allegedly kidnapping his daughter and hiding his Muslim identity, he said.

The woman's father, who is a retired Army man, has mentioned in the FIR that last year the man had befriended his daughter through social media and wooed her on the pretext of providing a job.

Police said that everything would be clear once the accused and the woman are traced.

The case was lodged under sections 366 (kidnapping, abduction or inducing woman to compel her into marriage ) and 363 (kidnapping) of the Indian Penal Code, besides the new anti-conversion law of the Uttar Pradesh government, the SHO said.

The recently promulgated Uttar Pradesh Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Ordinance, 2020, nullifies marriages if they are carried out for the sole purpose of religious conversion.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.