BARC temporarily stops weekly ratings of news channels amid TRP scam

News Network
October 15, 2020

trp.JPG

New Delhi, Oct 15: Following the fake Television Rating Points (TRP) scam, the Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) on Thursday announced a temporary suspension of weekly ratings of news channels across languages.

The council intends to review and augment the current standards of measurement to improve on "statistical robustness", and the exercise will result in a "pause" in the weekly ratings for up to 12 weeks, an official statement said.

At least five people have been arrested by the city police which busted the scam earlier this month.

Those arrested include news channel employees, while the police is also questioning executives of Arnab Goswami-led Republic Media Group with regard to the case. Republic Media Group has denied any wrongdoing.

The audience estimates given by BARC influence ad spends, and the total size of the ad placements was pegged at Rs 32,000 crore annually by the police. The police allege the ratings were being rigged by inducing the homes where the monitors were placed.

"In the light of the recent developments, BARC Board has proposed that it's technical committee review and augment the current standards of measuring and reporting the data of niche genres, to improve their statistical robustness and to significantly hamper the potential attempts of infiltrating the panel homes," an official statement said.

The exercise would cover all Hindi, Regional, English News and Business News channels with immediate effect, it added.

"BARC will cease publishing the weekly individual ratings for all news channels during the exercise," it said, adding that the exercise will last between 8 to 12 weeks and include validation and testing.

" a pause was necessitated to enable the industry and BARC to work closely to review its already stringent protocols and further augment them to enable the industry to focus on collaborating for growth and well-natured competitiveness," BARC India chairman Punit Goenka said.

The industry body's chief executive Sunil Lulla said besides augmenting current protocols and benchmarking them with global standards, BARC is also exploring several options to discourage unlawful inducement of its panel home viewers and further strengthening its codes.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 17,2020

rpak.jpg

Back home after years in a Pakistani jail on espionage charges, 70-year-old Shamsuddin could not hold back his tears.

"On reaching home, after embracing his family members, he cried a lot in immense happiness and said he made a big mistake by going to Pakistan," said Circle Officer (Seesamau) Tirpurari Pandey.

Shamsuddin reached his home in the city's Kanghi-Mohal here on Sunday morning, where his family and people welcomed him with garlands.

He told reporters that migrants are not treated well in Pakistan and Indians are taken as ”enemies”.

Shamsuddin had moved to Pakistan with an acquaintance in 1992 on getting a 90-day visit visa and then settled there after getting the country's citizenship in 1994.

In 2012, the Pakistan government arrested him on charges of espionage and locked him up at a jail in Karachi.

Shamsuddin reached India through the Attari-Wagah border on October 26 and served the required quarantine period in Amritsar amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

At the city's Bajaria police station, Circle Officer Tirpurari Pandey welcomed him with garlands and offered sweets.

Police then took him to his house at Kanghi-Mohal. People had gathered there waiting for his arrival.

The crowd surrounded him and hugged him with garlands.

He was congratulated for returning home after decades.

Shamsuddin told mediapersons that Indians are “treated very badly” in Pakistan. "They are treated like enemies. There is a lot of bribery and corruption in Pakistan," he said.

He said after the end of the visa period, people stranded in both countries should be allowed to return home.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
November 22,2020

1588788947-3303.jpg

Washington, Nov 23: The overall number of global coronavirus cases has topped 58.5 million, while the deaths have surged to more than 1.38 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University.

In its latest update on Monday, the University's Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) revealed that the current global caseload and death toll stood at 58,542,174 and 1,386,454, respectively.

The US is the worst-hit country with the world's highest number of cases and deaths at 12,226,643 and 256,741, respectively, according to the CSSE.

India comes in second place in terms of cases at 9,095,806, while the country's death toll soared to 133,227.

The other countries with more than a million confirmed cases are Brazil (6,071,401), France (2,191,180), Russia (2,071,858), Spain (1,556,730), the UK (1,515,802), Argentina (1,370,366), Italy (1,408,868), Colombia (1,248,417) and Mexico (1,025,969), the CSSE figures showed.

Brazil currently accounts for the second highest number of fatalities at 169,183.

The countries with a death toll above 20,000 are Mexico (100,823), the UK (55,120), Italy (49,823), France (48,807), Iran (44,802), Spain (42,619), Argentina (37,002), Russia (35,838), Peru (35,549), Colombia (35,287) and South Africa (20,903).

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
November 19,2020

Abu-Dha.jpg

Abu Dhabi, Nov 19: The Abu Dhabi Government has issued new housing policies for its employees, in a bid to strengthen family ties.

According to the new policy, highlights of which were shared by the Abu Dhabi Media Office on social media, the employees of government entities and companies who stay in Abu Dhabi will receive special benefits, depending on their job grade.

Emirati employees who live in Abu Dhabi will receive full housing allowance in line with their job grade while non-Emirati employees who own property in Abu Dhabi or rent it are entitled to full housing stipend, according to their job grade.

In addition, eligible employees will receive an education allowance for the children who attend schools in the emirate, the media office announced in a tweet.

The new policies will be implemented after one year to give enough time for employees to adjust their situation.

Comments

ZAKIR HUSSAIN …
 - 
Monday, 30 Nov 2020

Sir I am Zakir Hussain KHAN NIZAM, I check ICA approval last 50 days but not receiving green signal my visa expire on 31, December 2020. Kindly sent me ICA approval so I can come Abu Dhabi.
My Passport no. : S0802759
Emarates ID : 784196846398095
File numer : 101/2012/2/0315095

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.