Police inaction empowering anti-national elements in Mangaluru: SDPI

coastaldigest.com news network
December 1, 2020

press.jpg

Mangaluru, Dec 1: The appearance of provocative graffiti in the coastal city was a conspiracy by communal forces to disrupt peace in the region, feels Social Democratic Party of India.

In two similar incidents reported on November 27 and 29, graffiti in support of Lashkar-e-Taiba and threatening to behead those who insult prophet appeared on the walls of an apartment complex and in court premises in the city, respectively.

Addressing a press conference in the city today, Ataullah Jokatte, Dakshina Kannada district unit president of SDPI, expressed concern over delay by police in arresting the culprits behind the incidents.

He said that the negligence on part of the administration and the police department towards the incident resulted in its recurrence.

He said that the police had even ignored the provocative statement by RSS leader Kalladka Prabhakar Bhat, who had compared the coastal town of Ullal to Pakistan. The inaction of police in this case gave more courage to anti-national elements to write anti-national slogans on city walls.

Mr Jokatte went on to claim that Sangh Parivar has a notorious history of resorting to such provocative actions in the region as a prelude to creating communal disturbance.

Local SDPI leaders Shahul Hameed, Iqbal Bellare, Anwar Sadath and Jamal Jokatte were present.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 9,2021

Mysuru, Jan 9: University of Mysore Vice-Chancellor, Prof G Hemanth Kumar on Friday said that the Karnataka State Eligibility Test (KSET) for Professorship will be held in March-April.

The UGC has allowed UoM to conduct KSET exams for the next two years, he added.

Speaking to newsmen here, he said out of the eleven centers where KSET exams were held the highest number of candidates who have been selected are from Mysuru Centre. Mysuru has secured first place, but it is 03 percent lesser than last year.”

The KSET exams were held on September 27, 2020, for 41 subjects and Commerce has emerged on the top.
Mr Kumar said that the admission to the Master's Degree will be closed on January 19 and classes will start on January 25 for the first year.

The Principal's Meeting has been convened on Jan 18. Most of the coursework has already been completed for online graduate students. Finishing the remaining text to conduct exams. Teachers' role is important to educate students. However, there is a shortage of permanent staff, including professors at the University and an appeal was made to the Government to fill the vacant posts.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 9,2021

Bengaluru, Jan 9: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will virtually inaugurate two vaccine sites in Karnataka, Minister for Health and Medical Education Dr K Sudhakar informed here on Saturday.

Dr Sudhakar, however, did not reveal the names of the hospitals and the date and time of the inauguration.

Speaking to newsmen here, he said "We have already got the voucher for the Covid vaccine. The PM will be inaugurating 5,000 vaccination sites at a time virtually across the country.

In Karnataka, a total of 235 vaccination sites have been identified, out of which two sites will be inaugurated by the PM. One is a hospital in Bengaluru and another hospital in Hubballi," Sudhakar said.

"A video conference between the PM and the Chief Ministers will be held at 4 pm on Monday and announce the date of vaccination sites," he added.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
January 13,2021

FBI opens more than 160 cases over riots, tightens inauguration security

Washington, Jan 13: The FBI has opened more than 160 investigations against the January 6 Capitol Hill rioters, officials said, and asserted this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The agency has worked hand-in-hand with the United States Attorney's Office and law enforcement partners in DC and across the country to arrest and charge multiple individuals who took part in last week's breach of the US Capitol, FBI Washington Field Office Assistant Director In-Charge Steven M D'Antuono told reporters at a news conference.

"In six days, we have opened over 160 case files, and that's just the tip of the iceberg," he said, adding the FBI has received more than 100,000 pieces of digital media.

D'Antuono said the FBI will be knocking on the doors of the people who participated in the attack on the Capitol. "But before we do this, this is your opportunity to come forward as several individuals involved in Wednesday's riots have done," he added.

In the weeks leading up to the January 6 rally, the FBI, D'Antuono said, developed some intelligence that a number of individuals were planning to travel to the DC area with intentions to cause violence.

This was immediately shared and action was taken as demonstrated by the arrest of Enrique Tario by the Metropolitan Police Department the night before the rally, he said.

Other individuals were identified in other parts of the country and their travel subsequently disrupted, D'Antuono noted.

Acting US Attorney for the District of Columbia, Michael Sherwin, said the scope and scale of the investigation in these cases are really unprecedented not only in FBI history but also probably in the history of the Department of Justice in which the Capitol grounds outside and inside are essentially crime scenes.

"And a scale in which we have literally thousands of potential witnesses and a scenario in which we are going to have, I believe, hundreds of criminal cases both filed with our local courts, our superior courts, and through the federal court system," he said, noting this is going to be a long-term investigation.

Sherwin said as many as 170 cases of investigations have already been opened. "And I anticipate that's going to grow to the hundreds in the coming weeks," he said.

Federal prosecutors, he said, are looking at everything from simple trespass to theft of mail and digital devices inside the Capitol to assault on local and federal officers, both outside and inside the Capitol, and also theft of potential national security information or national defence information, felony murder and even civil rights excessive force investigations.

Sherwin said that two pipe bombs were found outside the RNC and the DNC offices near the Capitol grounds. "They were real devices. They had explosive ignitors. They had timers. We don't know exactly why they did not go off. That's being investigated. They were destroyed, disabled by Capitol Police with the assistance of the ATF, and that is all obviously being vetted and investigated," he said.

The FBI has announced a reward of USD 5,000 for any information leading to identification of the individual or individuals that left the pipe bombs.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.