Nurse who committed suicide in Saudi Arabia 72 days ago, laid to rest in Udupi

coastaldigest.com web desk
September 28, 2018

Udupi, Sept 28: A 28-year-old nurse who had allegedly committed suicide in Saudi Arabia 72 days ago, was finally laid to rest at Our Lady of Health Church cemetery in Shirva, Udupi district, on Friday, a day after her body reached India.

Hundreds of people attended the funeral Hazel Jyotsna Mathias, who hailed from Kutyar village near Shirva. 

She had been working as staff nurse in Al-Mikhwa General Hospital, Al-Baha, in Saudi Arabia for six years. She allegedly committed suicide in Al-Baha in July. The arrival of her body was delayed owing to investigations in Saudi Arabia.

The body was brought by a flight to Bengaluru and by an ambulance to Shirva on Thursday. It was brought to the family home at Kutyar on Friday. Her husband Ashwin Mathias, father Robert Machado and mother Helen Machado were present.

Later the body was taken to the church in Shirva.

Speaking to presspersons, Joseph D’Souza, a relative of Hazel, said that Hazel committed suicide in Al-Baha on July 19 as she could not tolerate harassment by a Saudi national. The information of the death had reached the family after two days. The family then contacted Ivan D’Souza, MLC, to get the body back. “The government should help Indians abroad. We do not want any family to suffer what we have undergone in the last two months,” he said.

Mr. Ivan D’Souza said that Hazel had written a death note in which she had stated that she was harassed by an ambulance driver. He had learnt that the person, who had harassed her, had been imprisoned in Saudi Arabia.

The Ministry of External Affairs should take cases of unnatural deaths of Indians seriously. It had taken 72 days to get Hazel’s body back here. He said he had also written to the 28 MPs on the delay in getting the body back. Proper protection should be provided to Indians working abroad, he said.

Comments

ASIF ROSHAN
 - 
Sunday, 30 Sep 2018

All crdit goos to KNRI jeddah team, they have put all eforts to clear this issue. 

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
April 6,2021

Bengaluru, Apr 6: Karnataka Minister for Health Dr K Sudhakar today said that so far 48.05 lakh people were vaccinated and the State stood sixth in the country.

Speaking to newsmen on Tuesday, he said that yesterday alone 1,95,554 people were vaccinated. As many as 22 lakh senior citizens vaccinated and above 45 to 59 years about 10.4 lakh people received vaccination.

As per the advice of the COVID-19 Technical Advisory Committee, the pandemic must be taken seriously till the end of May, he warned.

He said the state may face a shortage of beds if the number of cases increases drastically. He said he has collected information regarding the availability of beds in government hospitals, besides initiating talks with private hospitals to reserve beds for COVID treatment.

"There is a need to increase Covid reserved beds in Victoria and Bowring hospitals and we will do that. Also, there is a need to increase the percentage of beds reserved in private hospitals for Covid treatment from the existing 20 per cent," Dr Sudhakar said.

As per experts, there is a possibility of more than 6500 cases per day in Bengaluru alone, he said. "If Karnataka does not contain the spread, we will see a further surge in cases. If the situation arises.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
April 10,2021

Mangaluru, Apr 10: The night curfew imposed by Karnataka government in eight places to curb the spread of coronavirus will commence tonight and end on April 20. The curfew order calls for a halt of public movement between 10 pm and 5 am.

The 'Corona Curfew' will be observed in seven cities — Bengaluru, Tumakuru, Mangaluru, Mysuru, Udupi, Kalaburagi and Bidar — and Manipal town near Udupi.

What is allowed during the curfew

>> Essential services, movement of vehicles providing essential service, home delivery and e-commerce vehicles will be permitted.

>> Factories and firms operating in the night hours are permitted to function, given the employees reach work before 10 pm.

>> Passengers travelling to and from the airport, railway stations and bus stands can do so in auto-rickshaws and cabs by showing authentic tickets and boarding passes.

>> Patients and others availing medical treatment and also those requiring medical attention are allowed.

What's not allowed during the curfew

>> All public gatherings and meetings will be prohibited during the night curfew

>> All commercial establishments, including bars, restaurants and other shops, will remain shut.

>> The guidelines stated that those violating the curfew orders will be booked under section 51 to 60 of the Disaster Management Act (2005) along with provisions of the Indian Penal Code and other relevant acts. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
April 12,2021

Bengaluru, Apr 12: Karnataka has reported 9,579 fresh Covid-19 cases and 52 related fatalities, taking the total caseload to 10.74 lakh and the toll to 12,941, the Health Department said on Monday.

Bengaluru Urban alone accounted for 6,387 of the fresh cases.

The day also saw 2,767 patients getting discharged after recovery.

Cumulatively 10,74,869 Covid-19 positive cases have been confirmed in the state, which includes 12,941 deaths and 9,85,924 discharges, the Health Department said in its bulletin.

Out of 75,985 active cases, 75,515 patients are stable and in isolation at designated hospitals, while 470 are in Intensive Care Units.

Bengaluru Urban continued to log the most number of deaths (40), Mysuru reported 3, Bidar and Chamarajanagara 2 each and one each from Bagalkote, Ballari, Belagavi, Chikkaballapura and Ramanagara.

Among districts where the new cases were reported, Bengaluru Urban accounted for 6,387, Bidar 465, Mysuru 362, Kalaburagi 335, Tumakuru 239, Bengaluru Rural 192, followed by others.

Bengaluru Urban district topped the list of positive cases, with a total of 4,88,369, followed by Mysuru 58,573 and Ballari 40,692.

Among discharges too, Bengaluru Urban was on top with 4,26,968, followed by Mysuru 55,527 and Ballari 39,291. A total of over 2,28,06,423 samples have been tested so far, out of which 1,16,165 were done on Monday alone.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.