Passengers stranded in Mangalore as bandh hits bus services

[email protected] (CD Network, Photos by Suresh Vamanjoor)
March 3, 2014
Mangalore, Mar 3: The self-declared bandh against the implementation of Yettinahole project by the state government was largely peaceful in Mangalore city, with the exception of a couple of protests in front of the deputy commissioner 's office on Monday.

Barring hospitals, medical stores and a rare few establishments, the entire city came to a standstill on Monday in support of the call for bandh for the cause of saving the Nethravati river. Traffic on the roads was minimal and the city wore a deserted look till noon. Even commercial establishments and malls remained closed till 6 p.m.

Bus and auto-rickshaw services were stalled from dawn to dusk due to the bandh, although railway services were functioning normally.

Out-station passengers stranded in KSRTC bus stand

Due to the disruption of bus services, a horde of passengers were left stranded in KSRTC bus stand in the city, who were unaware of the bandh declared on Monday.

People such as Rekha, her brother and 5-year-old Akshatha who had arrived from Gadag, were stuck in the KSRTC bus stand since early morning as they were unable to travel to Kalladka in Bantwal taluk.

Relating her plight to a couple of reporters, she said that all the three had been waiting in the bus stand since 7 a.m. for the bus services to resume so that they could join her parents in Kalladka. “Luckily, we were able to have breakfast in the morning as soon as we arrived. But for now, we are stuck in the bus stand without any food. The auto-rickshaw drivers asked for Rs 1,000 to take us to our home near Kalladka. The only option is to wait till the evening for the buses to start running,” she said.

Bus drivers, who were also at the bus stand, told reporters that the government bus owners had decided to stop the bus services from 6 a.m. in view of the bandh to avoid untoward incidents. “It is safer for the passengers not to run the buses. We may resume our daily routes after seeing the situation at 5 p.m.,” he said, adding that upto 580 buses were scheduled from the Mangalore bus depot each day.

MLA distributes free lunch

As news of stranded passengers spread, members of Karavali Jeevanadi Nethravati Samrakshana Samiti led by former Congress MLA Vijaykumar Shetty arrived at the bus stand around noon.

Around the same time, local MLA J R Lobo arrived at the spot, and distributed lunch to the stranded passengers at the bus stand. Around 350 to 400 people from outside Mangalore city were provided with free lunch sponsored by the MLA.

Speaking to mediapersons, Mr Lobo said that the self-declared bandh was met with a good response from the citizens of Dakshina Kannada. “Though largely peaceful, the whole-hearted support to the bandh reveals the opinion of the people who are opposed to the Nethravati diversion project. A study has to be conducted before deciding to implement the project; I will therefore communicate this to the chief minister and ask him to reconsider his decision on the project,” he said.

Bandh_mangalore_3_2
Bandh_mangalore_3_3
Bandh_mangalore_3_4
Bandh_mangalore_3_5
Bandh_mangalore_3_6
Bandh_mangalore_3_7
Bandh_mangalore_3_8
Bandh_mangalore_3_9
Bandh_mangalore_3_10

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 19,2021

Bengaluru, Sept 19: Former Union minister and BJP’s Bengaluru North MP D V Sadananda Gowda today filed a complaint with the cybercrime police after a sleaze video purportedly showing him went viral on social media.

Taking to Twitter, the senior BJP leader said that it is not him in the video and added that the video has been created with the intention of maligning his image.

"A morphed (deep fake) video of mine has been making rounds on social media. I would like to inform that, it is not me in the video, its created to malign my impeccable image by my adversaries with vested interest," he said in a tweet.

He said he filed a cyber complaint and added that he has faith in the system and is hopeful that the culprits will be nabbed soon.

"Also, I as per the injunction order of the court, anyone forwarding/uploading the content will be punishable as per the relevant sections of the law. If you know of anyone doing the same, kindly inbox me," he said in another tweet.

A complaint has been filed with the concerned authorities, to arrest and punish the guilty parties immediately, he said.

"Malefactors, who are upset by my rise on the political front, have brought out a fake, lewd video of mine for my fall. The video has become viral on social media, which pains me," he said in a tweet.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 15,2021

CFI.jpg

Bengaluru, Sept 15: Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Wednesday said the state government is ready to have a debate on NEP 2020 with an open mind and nobody should get anxious about it.

"The government is ready to deliberate on the New Education Policy (NEP) with an open mind. We will make students understand that NEP is a revolutionary step and good for the future of the youth. Therefore, nobody should be anxious about NEP," he told reporters after paying tributes to Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya's statue on the occasion of Engineers's Day celebrations.

He was replying to a query on police lathicharge on students protesting against NEP on Tuesday. Campus Front of India (CFI) had spearheaded the protest.

The police lathicharge the students after they started to march onto the middle of the road that resulted in heavy traffic jam at ever-busy road leading to Majestic.

The students were carrying placards conveying the message that the NEP breaks the unity in diversity and encourages commercialisation of education.

Taking to Twitter today, former chief minister Siddaramaiah condemned the lathicharge on students and demanded an apology from Bommai.

"I condemn the lathicharge on students in Bengaluru for protesting against the implementation of New National Education Policy. Basavaraj Bommai should immediately withdraw NEP and apologise to the students," he tweeted.

The NEP was unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi government last August.

According to the PM, the NEP promises to provide students various avenues to upskill and train themselves for jobs and vocations in India.

It also promises to teach students coding in schools from Class 6 onwards to equip them with the skills required to succeed in the 21st century.

The new policy also gives students the flexibility to choose subjects from both Science and Humanities, which will bring the Indian education system on par with the rest of the world.

It also ensures that students grasp at least one vocational skill by the end of their education so that they are job ready in the market.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
September 15,2021

Mangaluru, Sept 15: The demolition of Hindu temples in Karnataka has once again proved that the destruction is the culture of Bharatiya Janata Party, said former minister and incumbent Mangaluru MLA U T Khader. 

Addressing the press in Mangaluru, the Congress leader said: “BJP has a long history of demolition and destruction. Destruction is the part and parcel of BJP culture.”

"The demolition of the temple was sponsored by the BJP- led government. Without the government’s approval, such a sensitive issue cannot be undertaken," he said.

MLC and District Congress Committee President Harish Kumar said that the true colour of the BJP government was revealed by the demolition of temples in the state.

“For demolishing a temple in Mysuru, the government is now pointing its finger at the DC and Tahsildar. Without the government’s permission, will an officer take a step to demolish a temple?” he sought to know.

"When several directions of the Supreme Court are not being implemented, why was the direction of the demolition implemented in a hurry? There was direction from the Supreme Court during the UPA government as well. Only the BJP government can demolish a temple. The Congress never indulged in such acts," he added.

"The protest by the Hindutva organisations against the demolition of the temple was just an eyewash. The BJP government failed to convince the Supreme Court of the need for saving religious structures. The demolished temple should be rebuilt," he said. 

Comments

ikku
 - 
Saturday, 18 Sep 2021

Great Mr. Khader. what about your opinion in Re-building demolished Babri Masjid... will u call the press reporters to announce your concern on Babri Mosque which also demolished by BJP-RSS.

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.