WHO reports highest weekly increment of nearly 2 million in covid-19 cases worldwide

News Network
September 22, 2020

who.jpg

Geneva, Sept 22: The World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported a record number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus registered across the world over the past week -- almost 2 million infections -- which marks the highest number in a single week so far.

"From 14 through 20 September, there were almost 2 million new cases of COVID-19, which represents a 6 per cent increase compared to the previous week, and the highest number of reported cases in a single week since the beginning of the epidemic. During the same period, there was a 10 per cent decrease in the number of deaths, with 36,764 deaths reported in the past seven days," the WHO said in a situation report late on Monday.

In particular, an increase in the weekly case incidence rate was reported across all regions in the last seven days, except for Africa, with the two Americas remaining the worst-hit areas and accounting for over 38 per cent of all new cases reported over the past week.

Meanwhile, Europe showed the greatest increment in the number of fatalities in the past week, with a 27-per cent increase compared to the previous week.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 27,2020

mufti.JPG

Ahmedabad, Oct 27: Angered over PDP president Mehbooba Mufti's recent remarks about the scrapping of Article 370, Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel on Monday said the former chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir should move to Pakistan with family if she doesn't like India and its laws.

Patel, addressing a bypoll rally in Kurali village of Vadodara district, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah brought in the CAA and scrapped Article 370, which accorded special status to the erstwhile state of J&K, for the safety and security of the country.

"Mehbooba is blabbering for the last two days. She should buy plane tickets and move to Karachi with her family. That will be good for everyone.

"If she wants, people of Karjan taluka would send her money to buy plane tickets," said Patel, attacking the Kashmiri politician, a former ally of the BJP.

"Those who do not like India or laws introduced by the government, such as CAA or abrogation of Article 370, should go to Pakistan.

"Anyone who is not feeling safe or happy should immediately move to Pakistan," said Patel, a senior BJP leader.

He was addressing the rally in support of BJP candidate from the Karjan assembly seat Akshay Patel. Karjan is one of the eight assembly polls going to bypolls on November 3.

"If you still stay here, you will face action. Anyone who will do something wrong would face action. We do not want to keep trouble makers, irrespective of their caste or religion.

Mufti, in her first interaction with the media after her release from detention last week, had said she will not hoist the tricolor till the flag of the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir was restored.

The PDP chief had criticised the revocation of Article 370 and said Parliament had no power to take it away.

Referring to the "tough" image of Minister of State for Home Pradeepsinh Jadeja, Patel said no one from Juhapura, a minority-dominated area in Ahmedabad, creates any trouble now.

Referring to the Gunda Act and anti-land grabbing law recently passed in the Assembly, Patel, without naming anyone, said anti-social elements have nowhere to go except Pakistan.

"Other states are also acting tough on such elements. It seems they are left with no other option than to go to Pakistan. They are free to go there now.

"We also do not want to keep them. India's population has also gone over 130 crore. Everyone can live in peace if they go," he said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 17,2020

aftab.JPG

Bhubaneswar, Oct 17: Soyeb Aftab, who topped the NEET on Friday with a perfect score of 720, credited his parents for the success, saying he never expected to bag the first rank in the medical entrance exam even though he was optimistic.

Mr. Aftab, the son of homemaker Sultan Razia and Sheik Mohammad Abbas who owns a small business, said it was his mother who motivated him to aspire for becoming a doctor.

“I will like to give all the credit to my mother who motivated me to aspire for being a doctor and stood by me all along,” he said.

Mr. Aftab, 18, said his father extended all the financial support but it was his mother who spent her maximum time supporting him on his studies.

He said that he moved to the coaching hub of Kota in Rajasthan after the class 12 board exam to prepare for the National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET).

“My mother and younger sister accompanied me to Kota and made all the arrangements for the

The Rourkela boy said most of his time during the day was spent at the coaching class.

“I studied for only three hours in the night initially, and eventually increased the time as the examination approached,” he said.

Mr. Aftab, who scored a perfect 720 out of 720 in the exam, said, “I am absolutely happy. There is no doctor in my family. I would like to study in AIIMS-New Delhi.”

“All the credit goes to my mother and father,” he said, reacting to his score.

Mr. Aftab said that he was confident of getting a place in the top 50 after verifying the answer key of all the questions but never expected to top the exam.

Mr. Aftab and Delhi’s Akansha Singh scored 720 out of 720 marks but the Odisha boy was ranked first and Singh second as per the National Testing Agency’s tie-breaking policy, officials said.

The tie-breaking policy takes into account factors such as age, subject-wise marks and number of incorrect answers, they said.

aftab1.jpg

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 16,2020

shetty.JPG

Bengaluru, Oct 16: A 45-year-old pub owner – Manish Shetty - was shot dead late on Thursday night by rival gang members, the police said.

Shetty was reportedly a close associate of Morocco-based fugitive underworld don Bannanje Raja.

The police suspect that members of the Rashid Malabari gang might have carried out the attack, as this is their typical style of murdering rivals in the coastal region of Karnataka, where single barrel gun is often used by gang members to eliminate their rivals, unlike the Bengaluru underworld which often uses machete or sword as its main weapon to eliminate its rivals.

The police added that Shetty was also a rowdysheeter and was wanted in several cases of robbery and murder in Mangaluru and Udupi districts.

According to the police, the deceased Manish Shetty aka Sarvatham Shetty was the owner of Duet pub on RHP Road off Brigade Road in Bengaluru.

Shetty hailed from Koppa village in Chikkamagalurur district.

Speaking to reporters, Deputy Commissioner of Police (central division), M.N. Anucheth, said that at around 9 pm, an incident of shooting occurred in the Cubbon Park police station limits.

"Shetty, aged about 45 years, was shot at by unknown bike-borne assailants in front of his bar located on RHP Road," he said in a statement released to the media.

Shetty was shifted to the Mallya hospital for treatment but the hospital declared him brought dead.

Meanwhile, Bengaluru city Police Commissioner Kamal Panth, who visited the spot, told reporters that the preliminary investigation pointed at the Managluru rivalry connection. "We have definite clues, we will arrest the culprits soon," he said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.