2 AMU students booked for demanding punishment to those guilty of mosque demolition

Agencies
December 9,2019

Aligarh, Dec 9: Two students of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) have been booked by the police for sharing an “objectionable” social media post related to the Babri Masjid demolition with a picture of senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani.

Talha Mannan and Sharjil Usmani were booked on a complaint filed by the BJP Yuva Morcha district in charge, Prateek Chauhan.

The post was an invitation to a public meeting on Friday at the AMU's Kennedy lawn on the subject -"Punish Those Guilty of Babri Demolition".

Chauhan stated that such kind of a meeting was an effort to provoke the youth and vitiate the peaceful atmosphere.

Anil Samaniya, Circle Officer Civil Lines, confirmed the development and said that Mannan and Usmani were booked under Section 153 A (Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race etc) of the IPC and Section 67 (publishing or transmitting obscene material in electronic form) of the IT Act.

He said that the matter was being probed.

Meanwhile, AMU proctor Afifullah Khan, said that Manna is the student of MA Education while Usmani was a former student of the varsity.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

BCCI going ahead with women's IPL on time: Sourav Ganguly

Agencies
August 2,2020

Resizer_15963536228230.jpg

New Delhi, Aug 2: BCCI president Sourav Ganguly on Sunday said the Women's IPL or the Challenger series, as it is better known, is "very much on", ending speculation about the parent body not having a plan for Harmanpreet Kaur and her team.

The men's IPL will be held between September 19 and November 8 or 10 (final date yet to be locked in) in the UAE due to the surge in Covid-19 cases in India. The women's IPL will also be fit in to the schedule, according to the BCCI chief.

"I can confirm to you that the women's IPL is very much on and we do have a plan in place for the national team also," Ganguly told PTI ahead of the IPL Governing Council meeting later on Sunday.

The BCCI president, who is awaiting a Supreme Court verdict on waiver of the cooling-off period to continue in the position, did not divulge details but another senior official privy to the development said that women's Challenger will be held during the last phase of IPL like last year.

"The women's Challenger series is likely to be held between November 1-10 and there could be a camp before that," the source said.

The former India captain also said that the centrally contracted women players will have a camp which has been delayed due to the prevailing situation in the country.

"We couldn't have exposed any of our cricketers -- be it male or female to health risk. It would have been dangerous," Ganguly said.

"The NCA also remained shut because of Covid-19. But we have a plan in place and we will have a camp for women, I can tell you that," he added.

The BCCI's cricket operations team is chalking up a schedule where Indian women are likely to have two full-fledged white-ball series against South Africa and the West Indies before playing the ODI World Cup in New Zealand. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

With spike of 29,429 cases, India's COVID-19 tally reaches 9,36,181

News Network
July 15,2020

New Delhi, Jul 14: India's COVID-19 tally has reached 9,36,181 as 29,429 new coronavirus cases were reported in the last 24 hours, informed the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on Wednesday.

The death toll went up to 24,309, including 582 fatalities in the last 24 hours.

Out of the total cases, 3,19,840 are currently active and 5,92,032 are cured/discharged/migrated.

As per the Ministry, Maharashtra -- the worst-affected state from the infection -- has a total of 2,67,665 COVID-19 cases and 10,695 fatalities. While Tamil Nadu has a tally of 1,47,324 cases and 2,099 deaths due to COVID-19.

Delhi has reported a total of 1,15,346 cases and 3,446 deaths due to COVID-19.

As per the information provided by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) 3,20,161 samples have been tested for COVID-19 till July 14, of these 1,24,12,664 samples were tested on Tuesday.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

Shiv Sena alleges Karnataka govt of removing Shivaji statue, attacks BJP for being silent

News Network
August 11,2020

Mumbai, Aug 11: Shiv Sena has alleged that the Karnataka government removed a bust of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in Belgaum's Mangutti village and hit out at the BJP for being silent over the issue.

In an editorial in its mouthpiece, Saamna, Shiv Sena said that the bust can't be removed without the orders of administration.

"Karnataka government removed a bust of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in Belgaum's Manguti village... Whatever happened in Mangutti village is being condemned everywhere," read the editorial (roughly translated from Hindi).

"Devendra ji says there is Congress MLA from the place where the bust was removed. Irrespective of MLAs, there is Yediyurappa government in the state, and Shivaji's bust cannot be removed without the orders of administration," it said.

Targeting its former ally BJP over "fake Shivbhakti", the editorial said that BJP would have created ruckus over the issue had there been any other party government but now they are silent.

"The incident of bust removal is worrisome. The silence of Shivbhakts from BJP in Maharashtra is also worrisome. Had there been Congress government or any other party government, BJP would have created a ruckus. Now they are silent," it said.
On August 8, the Belgavi district authorities brought down a bust of Shivaji in Managutti village as it did not have the necessary permission.

According to Laxman Nimbargi, Superintendent of Police of Belgavi, a meeting was held with village leaders and it was decided that the statue would be re-erected after the proper legal procedure was followed.
The incident triggered a protest by Shiv Sena and its workers staged a protest at Lalbagh in Mumbai against the Karnataka government.

Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut and State Urban Development Minister Eknath Shinde have condemned the removal of the bust and requested its immediate reinstallation.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.