Declared ‘born dead’ and thrown in the garbage, UP girl Noopur Singh is KBC winner

News Network
August 28, 2019

Unnao, Aug 28: She was declared "born dead" and thrown in the garbage by the doctors of a Kanpur hospital. A relative saw signs of life in the newborn and picked her up. The baby girl grew up physically challenged due to the first few minutes of negligence by the doctors.

Twenty-nine years later, Noopur Singh, won Rs 12.5 lakh at the country's most celebrated game show 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' (KBC) hosted by superstar Amitabh Bachchan. She answered 12 questions.

Noopur, who lives in Bighapur in Unnao district, was born to a farmer Ramkumar Singh and his wife Kalpana Singh.

Mother Kalpana Singh said: "Noopur, despite her disability, has always been a good student. She was on the merit list in Intermediate and got through the B.Ed entrance test in the first attempt.

"Today, she teaches children in a play group and also gives free education to Class 10 students."

Talking about her journey to KBC, the proud mother said that whenever the game show was telecast on TV, Noopur would answer the questions correctly even before the contestants.

"When this season began, we asked her to apply and she was selected. Our happiness knew no bounds when she ended up winning Rs 12.5 lakh," she said.

Noopur, her mother said, holds no grudges against doctors who were responsible for her disability. "She says that it was her destiny and she does not blame anyone," the mother said.

Noopur has now turned into a star of sorts in the village and people are flocking to her house to meet her.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 28,2020

Bengaluru, Nov 28: Karnataka Rural Development Minister K S Eshwarappa on Saturday said the BJP will not give ticket to a Muslim in the by-election to Belagavi Lok Sabha seat. Noting that Belagavi was one of the centres of Hindutva, he said the ticket will be given to its proponents.

"In BJP there is no question of Kuruba, Lingayat, Vokkaliga or Brahmin community, we will all sit together and discuss, this is the system, a democratic way. In no party other than BJP there is a democratic system," Eshwarappa pointed out. Speaking to reporters in Belagavi, the senior BJP leader said state and national leaders will select a candidate who can win by gaining the trust of the people.

"Whether we give (ticket) to Kurubas or Lingayats or Vokkaligas or Brahmins, we will not give to a Muslim. Belagavi is one of the centres of Hindutva, there is no question of us giving tickets to Muslims here," Eshwarappa said in response to a query.

We will give tickets to Hindutva proponents, I don't know whether we will give it to followers of Sangolli Rayanna, Kittur Chennamma (freedom fighters) or Shankaracharya, he added. The Belagavi Lok Sabha seat fell vacant recently following the death of Union Minister of State for Railways Suresh Angadi, who represented the seat, due to Covid-19.

The bypoll for the seat is yet to be announced by the Election Commission. This is not the first time Eshwarappa has made such comments. In April last year, Eshwarappa had in Koppal said BJP will not give tickets to Muslims to contest the elections as they do not believe in the party.

However, he had subsequently clarified that he was not hater of any community including Muslims and his statement was in response to a question about a specific leader from the community getting a ticket from the BJP.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
December 2,2020

Bengaluru, Dec 2: The Covaxin Trails are going to be successful in the state and Karnataka is fully prepared for the distribution of Covid-19 vaccine, said Health & Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar.

He was speaking here after the launch of the third phase of the clinical trial of Bharat Biotech's Covaxin in Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre. Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa joined the event via video conference.

Dr Sudhakar said that it’s a matter of pride to our state that clinical trials are happening at 25 centres of 12 states across the country. 26,000 people are being administered with vaccination. 1,600-1,800 people are being administered Covid vaccination in our state alone.

People should be wary of rumours and misinformation during this trial period, he added.

Speaking on the side effects of the vaccine the Minister said that around 15-20 per cent Indian companies are developing vaccination globally. There may be side effects of vaccination. Experts are observing it and there is no need for panic at this stage, he added.

PM Narendra Modi government has reserved Rs.900 Cr for vaccine research. Prime Minister himself has visited and inspected the research centres in Pune, Ahmadabad and Hyderabad.

He said that the CM BS Yediyurappa led government in Karnataka has kept aside Rs 300 crore for Vaccine trials. Free of cost treatment is given to Covid patients. 1.25 lakh tests are conducted per day in the state and 1.2 Crore free Covid testing has been conducted so far, Minister explained.

He said that Karnataka is fully prepared for vaccine distribution, 29,451 vaccine distribution centres have been identified and 10,008 trained staff are ready. 2,855 cold storage centres are available for storage of vaccines. Regional centres are being set up in Bengaluru, Shivamogga and Bellary.

Healthcare workers will be given the vaccination in the first phase followed by frontline warriors, people aged above 50 years and people of with comorbidities, said Dr Sudhakar.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
December 5,2020

corona.JPG

Bengaluru, Dec 5: New cases at 1,247 outnumbered 877 recoveries on a day across Karnataka, taking its Covid tally to a whopping 8,90,360, including 25,046 active cases till Thursday, said the state health bulletin on Friday.

“With 877 discharged from the hospitals across the southern state in the last 24 hours, recoveries rose to 8,53,461, while 13 succumbed to the infection, taking the state’s death toll to 11,834 so far,” said the bulletin in a statement here.

Accounting for about 50 per cent of the cases, Bengaluru registered 620 fresh cases, taking its Covid tally to 3,72,582, including 19,268 active cases, while recoveries rose to 3,49,143, with 282 discharged in the last 24 hours.

The virus claimed eight lives across the city, taking its death toll to 4,170 till date.

Of the 287 patients in the intensive care units (ICUs), 153 are in Bengaluru hospitals, 14 each in Chamarajanagara and Tumakuru, 13 in Hassan and 10 in Kalaburagi.

Out of 98,049 tests conducted on Thursday, 11,305 were through rapid antigen detection and 86,744 through RT-PCR.

“The positivity rate was 1.27 per cent and the case fatality rate 1.04 per cent for the day across the state,” added the bulletin.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.