Pakistan-Qatar sign agreement to boost economic ties

Agencies
June 23, 2019

Doha, Jun 23: Pakistan and Qatar, on Saturday, signed three agreements for cooperation in the fields of trade, investment, tourism and financial intelligence as Emir of the Gulf nation Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani met Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Qatari Emir arrived in Pakistan on a two-day official visit on Saturday and was accorded a red carpet reception. Prime Minister Khan personally received him at the Nur Khan Airbase in Rawalpindi, near Islamabad.

The two leaders held a one-on-one meeting followed by delegation level talks between the two sides.

“Both the leaders covered the entire gamut of bilateral relations to enhance cooperation in diverse fields,” according to a statement by the Prime Minister’s Office.

Adviser on Commerce Abdul Razak Dawood and Qatari Finance Minister Ali Shareef Al Emadi signed an MoU for establishment of Pakistan-Qatar joint working group on trade and investment.

The second MoU was signed between Minister for Inter Provincial Coordination Fahmida Mirza and Secretary General of Qatar National Tourism Council Akbar Al Baker on cooperation in the fields of tourism and business events.

The third agreement was about cooperation in the field of exchange of financial intelligence, anti-money laundering and to check terror financing.

Pakistan Foreign Office said the Emir was visiting the country at the invitation of Prime Minister Khan. A high-level delegation, including ministers, is accompanying the Emir.

The Emir, who last toured Islamabad in March 2015, was given a 21-gun salute. Prime Minister Khan drove the Emir to the Prime Minister’s House where the official welcome ceremony was held.

Earlier, Prime Minister Imran Khan said that the Emir will announce investment of worth USD 22 billion during his visit.

Khan said the Qatari investment was higher than USD 21 billion pledged by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman during his visit in February.

But so far, the worth of agreement signed between the sides was not known.

Khan visited Qatar in January to promote trade ties between the two nations.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 11,2021

Bengaluru, Jan 11: Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa on Monday said the much-awaited expansion or reshuffle of his cabinet will take place on January 13 or 14, and BJP National President J P Nadda will be invited for the swearing-in.

Though the Chief Minister indicated that seven new faces will be inducted, he did not make it clear whether it will be cabinet expansion or reshuffle.

"On January 13 or 14 according to convenience of our national President J P Nadda and Karnataka in-charge (general secretary Arun Singh), by inviting them, swearing in ceremony will be organised," Yediyurappa said.

Speaking to reporters here after paying tributes to former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his death anniversary, he said, about seven members will be inducted.

Asked whether it will be cabinet expansion or reshuffle, he said, "let's see, you will get to know."

Yediyurappa on Sunday had held discussions with Nadda and Union Home Minister Amit Shah in New Delhi about the cabinet exercise.

On returning from New Delhi late on Sunday, the Chief Minister had said that seven members will be inducted on January 13 afternoon, and that he will finalise the names on Monday after discussions.

Yediyurappa has been waiting for some time now to carry out the cabinet exercise, as he was asked by the BJP president during their meeting in New Delhi on November 18, to wait for the clearance from the central leadership.

The cabinet expansion or reshuffle is expected to be a tightrope walk for the Chief Minister, considering that there are too many aspirants, from the party old guard to Congress- JD(S) rebels who are now BJP legislators.

While several of the old guards like Umesh Katti (eight-time MLA) and Arvind Limbavali are waiting for a chance to be inducted into the Ministry, Congress-JD(S) rebels like Munirathna, R Shankar and M T B Nagaraj, who helped the BJP come to power and are now party legislators, are also aspiring for slots.

While Munirathna is now BJP MLA from RR Nagar, Shankar and Nagaraj are MLCs.

Yediyurappa had recently also indicated that MLC C P Yogeshwar, who is said to have played a key role by managing Congress-JD(S) rebel MLAs, during the political turmoil in the state in 2019, that eventually led to BJP to come to power, will be inducted into the Ministry.

The cabinet currently has 27 members, and seven berths are still vacant. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
January 17,2021

New Delhi, Jan 17: A total of 2,24,301 beneficiaries have been inoculated with Covid-19 vaccine so far, out of which only 447 adverse events following immunisation (AEFI) were reported, the Union Health Ministry said on day two of the nationwide vaccination drive on Sunday.

Addressing a press briefing, the ministry's Additional Secretary Manohar Agnani said out of the 447 adverse events following immunisation, only three required hospitalisation.

"Today being Sunday, only six states conducted vaccination drive and in 553 sessions a total of 17,072 beneficiaries were vaccinated," he said.

The six states where the vaccination drive was carried out on Sunday are Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Manipur and Tamil Nadu, he added.

Agnani said a total of 2,24,301 beneficiaries have been vaccinated till January 17 as per provisional reports, adding that 2,07,229 of them received the jabs on day one of the drive.

"A total of 447 AEFI have been reported on January 16 and 17, out of which only three required hospitalisation. Most of the AEFI reported so far are minor like fever, headache, nausea," he said.

He said a meeting was held with all states and union territories on Sunday to review the progress of the drive, identify bottlenecks and plan corrective actions.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi rolled out the world's largest inoculation drive against Covid-19 on Saturday and said the two vaccines being deployed will ensure a "decisive victory" for India against the pandemic.

India has approved two vaccines — Covaxin developed by Bharat Biotech and Covishield from the Oxford/AstraZeneca stable being manufactured by the Serum Institute of India — for emergency use in the country.

According to the government, the shots will be offered first to an estimated one crore healthcare workers and around two crore frontline workers, and then to persons above 50 years of age, followed by persons younger than 50 years of age with associated comorbidities.  

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
January 5,2021

xi-jinping.jpg

Beijing, Jan 5: Chinese president, Xi Jinping on Monday ordered his country's army to be ready to 'act at any second', stressing on 'full-time combat readiness'.

He urged the armed forces to enhance training in real combat conditions to ensure readiness at all times, reported Xinhua.

"People's Liberation Army (PLA) must be ready to 'act at any second' and should remain on 'full-time combat readiness'," Xi stressed while adding, "Frontline frictions must be used to polish troop capabilities and training exercises need to incorporate technology."

In his first order of the Central Military Commission (CMC) in 2021 signed by Xi, he stressed strengthening military training in real combat conditions and the ability to win, reported Xinhua.

The PLA, as the military force of the Communist Party of China, must 'resolutely implement' the orders from the CMC and CPC, to mark the 100th anniversary of the party's founding on July 1 with 'excellent performances', he said.

He also suggested a 'substantial increase' in the use of technology in its exercises and to keep up with the latest developments in military and hi-tech knowledge.

These included the use of computer simulations and online combat in drills, as well as the exploration of more opportunities to add hi-tech and the internet - known as tech+ and web+ - in training, reported South China Morning Post (SCMP).

"[The PLA must] increase the integration of new equipment, new forces and new combat realms into training and combat systems," he said.

Last year, in June 2020, China had a bitter experience with India in the Galwan Valley where an undisclosed number of Chinese soldiers perished. A violent face-off took place between the Indian and Chinese soldiers when a sizeable number of Chinese Army transgressed into the Indian side.

Since taking over as president and head of the CMC in late 2012, Xi has consistently pushed the PLA to be prepared for war. He also initiated a massive overhaul of the PLA in 2015 to modernise the Chinese military, planned for completion in 2020, reported SCMP.

In order to checkmate the US in South China Sea PLA also stepped up exercises and air force fly-by operations targeting Taiwan during 2020.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.