Trump warns Iran against 'massacre' as Tehran students protest jetliner shootdown

News Network
January 12,2020

Washington, Jan 12: US president Donald Trump said Saturday the United States was monitoring Iranian demonstrations closely, warning against any new “massacre” as protests broke out after Tehran admitted to shooting down a passenger plane.

Iran said earlier it unintentionally downed a Ukrainian jetliner outside Tehran, killing all 176 people aboard, in an abrupt about-turn after initially saying that it had crashed due to mechanical failure. The firing came shortly after Iran launched missiles at bases in Iraq housing American forces.

President Hassan Rouhani said a military probe into the tragedy had found that “missiles fired due to human error” brought down the Boeing 737, calling it an “unforgivable mistake.”

Trump told Iranians -- in tweets in both English and Farsi -- that he stands by them and is monitoring the demonstrations.

“To the brave, long-suffering people of Iran: I've stood with you since the beginning of my Presidency, and my Administration will continue to stand with you,” he tweeted.

“There can not be another massacre of peaceful protesters, nor an internet shutdown. The world is watching,” he added, apparently referring to an Iranian crackdown on street protests that broke out in November.

“We are following your protests closely, and are inspired by your courage," he said.

The new demonstrations follow an Iranian crackdown on street protests that broke out in November. Amnesty International has said it left more than 300 people dead. Internet access was reportedly cut off in multiple Iranian provinces ahead of memorials planned a month after the protests.

On Saturday evening, police dispersed students who had converged on Amir Kabir University in Tehran to pay tribute to the victims, after some among the hundreds gathered shouted "destructive" slogans, Fars news agency said.

State television reported that students shouted "anti-regime" chants, while the news agency Fars reported that posters of Soleimani had been torn down.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

With highest single-day spike of 49,931 cases, India's COVID-19 tally crosses 14 lakh mark

News Network
July 27,2020

2.jpg

New Delhi, Jul 27: India's COVID tally on Monday crossed 14 lakh mark with the highest single-day spike of 49,931 cases reported in the last 24 hours, said the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.

The total COVID-19 cases stand at 14,35,453, including 4,85,114 active cases, 9,17,568 cured/discharged/migrated, it added.

With 708 deaths in the last 24 hours, the cumulative toll reached 32,771.

India had crossed 13 lakhs COVID-19 cases on July 25.

Maharashtra has reported 3,75,799 coronavirus cases, the highest among states and Union Territories in the country.

A total of 2,13,723 cases have been reported from Tamil Nadu till now, while Delhi has recorded a total of 1,30,606 coronavirus cases.

According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), 5,15,472 samples were tested for coronavirus on Sunday and overall 1,68,06,803 samples have been tested so far.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

Act against derogatory posts: U T Khader

News Network
August 12,2020

UT khader.jpg

Mangaluru, Aug 12: Condemning the violence in Bengaluru, Mangaluru MLA and former minister U T Khader demanded that the police should initiate action against those who posted derogatory remarks against a religion.

In a twitter post he wrote that "Stringent action should be initiated against those who post derogatory remarks on Prophet Mohammed who had upheld equality, humanity and harmony. However, in the name of derogatory remarks, it was not right to take law into hands and damage the public property. Such incidents cannot be accepted."

"Setting fire is not our culture. All should respect the law of the land and settle the issue legally", he further tweeted.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

Magisterial probe into Bengaluru violence; losses to be recovered from those responsible: Home Minister

coastaldigest.com news network
August 12,2020

35464.jpg

Bengaluru, Aug 12: Karnataka Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai has said that a magisterial enquiry will be carried out into the August 11 Bengaluru violence. He also said that government will recover losses to public property from those who were responsible for the violence.

Speaking to reporters, he said that following a high-level meeting with Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa, it was decided to conduct a magisterial enquiry by the district executive magistrate as per National Human Rights Commission guidelines. As per the same, district magistrate will probe the incident, he said.

"One of the important announcements I want to make is that the recovery of losses (for damaged property), as per Supreme Court directions, should be recovered from the persons behind the incident. That action we are going to take immediately," he said.

People behind rioting are being identified and losses suffered is being assessed, Bommai said. A total of 145 people were arrested and the arrests will continue.

Enquiry into the incident will be exposed the conspiracy behind the riots, he said.

The government has sought additional forces and six parties of Central Reserve Police Force were dispatched from Chennai and Hyderabad, he said. One party of Central Industrial Security Force will also arrive to augment the Garuda teams and Rapid Action Force units deployed in the ground, he said.

"Situation is under control. There is total peace and order," he added.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.