Warner registers second-highest individual score for Australia in Tests

Agencies
November 30,2019

Adelaide, Nov 30: Opening batsman David Warner on Saturday went past Mark Taylor and Don Bradman to register the second-highest individual score for Australia in the longest format of the game.

Warner played an unbeaten knock of 335 against Pakistan on day two of the ongoing day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval.
Mark Taylor had played a knock of 334 runs against Pakistan in 1998 while Bradman had scored the same amount of runs against England in 1930.

Warner could have broken Brian Lara's record of the highest individual score in Tests, but Australia skipper Tim Paine decided to declare the side's innings at the score of 589/3.

In the innings, he also broke Don Bradman's record of registering the highest individual score at the Adelaide Oval.

Warner has now become the only Australian to score two 250 plus scores in the longest format of the game. In the innings, the left-hander became the seventh Australian to score a triple-century.

Bradman had scored 299 runs at Adelaide in 1932 against South Africa.

Former Australia skipper has dropped to third on the list as he played a knock of 242 against India in 2003.

Rahul Dravid and Michael Clarke are on fourth and fifth spots respectively with knocks of 233 and 230.

Warner was involved in a 361-run stand with Marnus Labuschagne. He then put up a 121 run partnership with Steve Smith.

In the match against Pakistan, Smith became the fastest batsman to score 7000 runs in the longest format of the game. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

Sergio Perez tests positive for coronavirus, to miss British Grand Prix

Agencies
July 31,2020

356543.png

Northamptonshire, Jul 31: Mexican Formula One driver Sergio Perez has tested positive for coronavirus, and as a result, he will miss the British Grand Prix.

The Racing Point driver was absent from the circuit on Thursday after self-isolating following what his team called an "inconclusive" test. Perez then re-tested later in the day and it returned positive.

Formula 1 is following a strict testing regime as part of the safety protocols put in place when racing resumed earlier this month, and this is the first time a driver has tested positive.

"Perez has entered self-quarantine in accordance with the instructions of the relevant public health authorities, and will continue to follow the procedure mandated by those authorities," Formula 1 and the FIA said in a statement.

"With the assistance of the local organiser of the British Grand Prix, local health authorities and the FIA COVID-19 delegate, a full track and trace initiative has been undertaken and all close contacts have been quarantined," the statement added.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

IPL set to start on September 19, final on November 8 in UAE

News Network
July 24,2020

Dubai, Jul 24: The eagerly-awaited Indian Premier League will start on September 19 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) with the final slated on November 8, IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel told PTI on Friday.

While the event's Governing Council will meet next week to chalk out the final details and approve the schedule, it is understood that the BCCI has informally intimated the franchises about the plan.

"The GC will meet shortly but we have finalised the schedule. It will run from September 19 to November 8. We expect the government approval to come through. It is a full 51-day IPL," Patel confirmed the development after PTI reported the dates on Thursday.

The IPL has been made possible by the ICC's decision to postpone the October-November T20 World Cup in Australia owing to the COVID-19 pandemic due to which the host country expressed its inability to conduct the event.

Patel said that the Standard Operating Procedure to combat the COVID-19 threat is being prepared and the BCCI will formally write to the Emirates Cricket Board.

"We are making the SOP and it will be ready in a few days. To allow crowd or not depends on the UAE government. Anyway social distancing has to be maintained. We have left it for their government to decide on that. Will also be writing to the UAE board formally," Patel said.

There are three grounds available in the UAE -- Dubai International Stadium, Sheikh Zayed Stadium (Abu Dhabi) and the Sharjah ground.

It is learnt that the BCCI will be renting the grounds of the ICC Academy for training of the teams.

The ICC Academy has two full-sized cricket grounds along with 38 turf pitches, 6 indoor pitches, a 5700 square foot outdoor conditioning area along with physiotherapy and medicine centre.

As per the current health protocol in Dubai, there is no need to be in quarantine if people are carrying a negative COVID-19 test report, but if they are not, they will have to undergo a test.

While there was speculation that the IPL will start from September 26, the BCCI decided to advance it by a week in order to ensure that the Indian team's tour of Australia is not jeopardised.

"The Indian team will have a mandatory quarantine of 14 days as per the Australian government rules. A delay would have sent the plans haywire," a BCCI official said on conditions of anonymity.

"The best part is that 51 days is not at all a curtailed period and broadcasters will be happy with full seven-week window," he added.

While the original schedule had five double-headers, Patel said the new one will feature around 12 double-headers which means two matches each on both Saturdays and Sundays.

The Indians are set to play a four-match Test series against Australia starting December 3 in Brisbane after the IPL.

It is expected that with each and every team needing at least a month's time to train, the IPL franchises will be leaving base by August 20 which gives them exactly four weeks time to prepare.

The cash-rich event was originally scheduled to start at the end of March but the COVID-19 pandemic and the travel restrictions that were put in place to contain the virus, led to an indefinite postponement.

However, BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had always maintained that the event will be held some time this year.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

We want to be in final and win it: Solskjaer after MU progress to EL semi-final

Agencies
August 11,2020

Cologne, Aug 11: After winning the Europa League quarter-final clash against Copenhagen, Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said that his side wants to be in the final and win the competition.

"We need to go that next step. The next step for this team as well. That's the challenge for them now. Okay, three semis [this season] but that's close, that's not where we want to be. We want to be in a final and we want to win it," the club's official website quoted Solskjaer as saying.

Manchester United secured a 1-0 win over Copenhagen in Cologne to book their spot in the semi-final of Europa League.

During the match, Manchester United were awarded a penalty in the 95th minute after Anthony Martial was fouled in the box. Bruno Fernandes took the responsibility and made no mistake in putting his club ahead of Copenhagen.

Manchester United will either take Wolves or Sevilla in the semi-finals on August 17.

Reflecting on Wolves and Sevilla, Solskjaer said, "Two good teams, definitely. We know everything about Wolverhampton. I had a last-16 round with Molde against Sevilla, so I want to get back at them for that as well, so I don't mind. We'll look forward to the next one and we can sit back and watch Wolves and Sevilla tomorrow."

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.