Karnataka to downsize budget 2021-22 due to covid-19: CM

News Network
January 23, 2021

Mysuru, Jan 23: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa on Saturday indicated that the State Budget for 2021-22 will be downsized given the financial condition as a fallout of the due to Covid-19.

Speaking to reporters here at the airport, he said that the financial situation was such that downsizing of the budget has become inevitable and the outlay was bound to be less than what it was last year.

The Chief Minister, who also holds the Finance portfolio, had tabled a budget with an outlay of Rs 2,37,893 crore last year.

However, Mr Yediyurappa pointed out that there will be no dearth of funds or resources to fight the COVID-19 pandemic while expressing hope that the requirement could be less in the new financial year.

“This is because Covid-19 was almost 90 per cent under control and hence the resources required too could be less than what was allocated last year.”

The Chief Minister had said recently that he would present the budget in March and the budget session will be held from February 28. He had also admitted that the financial position was not good due to the pandemic and floods.

Mr Yediyurappa said he will apprise himself of the situation arising out of the blast near a quarrying site in Shivamogga that led to the death of six persons on Friday. “I have already announced compensation for the victims and ordered an inquiry so as to ensure justice for all’’, he added.

In reply to a question, the Chief Minister said mining was essential but action will be initiated against illegal mining.

Those without permits have to get a licence from the authorities and regularise the mining activity failing which the deputy commissioners of the districts will have to initiate legal action.

Since many state and national highway works are being taken up across the State mining could not be stopped. All the Deputy Commissioners will be asked to verify mining in their jurisdiction, he added.

Later chief minister inaugurated 11 ft. high Akka Mahadevi statue on the outer ring road in the city.

Speaking on the occasion he said the state government will develop Sharna centres across the state and help the present-day generation to know their contributions. The government has earmarked Rs 50 crores for the same.

He said the development of Akkmahadevi's birthplace in Shivamogga will be completed within two years.

The government has already set up the Veerashaiva lingayat development authority and earmarked Rs 500 crores.

He said Akka Mahadevi was the first Kannada poetess. She sacrificed worldly affairs at a very young age and lived for the welfare of society. Her value-based vachanas talk secrets of life.

Mr Yediyurappa also inaugurated Basava Bhavan built in the first phase of Vijayanagara.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
February 20,2021

Image result for A gang of women robbed Dh280,000 from a non-resident Indian in Duba

Dubai, Feb 20: A gang of women robbed Dh280,000 from a non-resident Indian in Dubai after he was lured into a fake massage parlour, the Dubai Court of First Instance heard.

According to records, the 33-year-old Indian victim saw an offer for a massage session for Dh200 with pictures of beautiful girls promoting it. He contacted the number provided and went as directed to an apartment in the Al Refaa area of Dubai in November 2020.

“I saw four African women inside the apartment and gave them Dh200. They asked me to open my bank’s application [on my mobile phone] and transfer money. They threatened me with a knife at my throat and slapped me on the face,” said the victim on record. One of the women then took his credit card and withdrew Dh30,000 from an ATM. He was kept confined in the apartment for one day as the women transferred Dh250,000 from the victim’s bank account to other accounts.

“They allowed me to leave the apartment only after they took away my iPhone too. I alerted the bank and reported the incident to police,” added the victim.

According to Dubai Police, three Nigerian women were arrested from Sharjah after intensive investigations, while a fourth woman is still at large. “One of them admitted to luring the victim through the Tinder application, offering massage services and using pictures of beautiful women. They kept the victim locked up inside the apartment and wired the money from his account to different accounts outside the country,” said the policeman on record.

The three Nigerian defendants have been charged with robbery, issuing threats, keeping the victim forcefully confined inside an apartment and prostitution. The next hearing is scheduled for March 4.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
February 26,2021

nandi-hills.jpg

Chikkaballapur, Feb 26: Popular hill station Nandi Hills in Chikkaballapur adjoining Bengaluru will be developed as an international tourist destination, Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar said on Thursday. Sudhakar, who is also district in-charge minister, said Nandi hills and surrounding places are very attractive.

Along with beautiful flora and fauna Nandi Hills also have a historical and spiritual significance, he pointed out.

"Nandi Hills has all the qualities to be developed as an international tourist destination.Government has already sanctioned Rs 10 crore for the purpose," Sudhakar told reporters here after inspecting the ongoing works in the region.

Stating that there was a public demand for a ropeway for the past 15 years, he said an international agency had earlier agreed for the project, but the idea was later dropped. "Now the dream will become a reality."

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
February 25,2021

Bharat Bandh on February 26 as 8 crore traders to protest against GST

New Delhi, Feb 25: Going ahead with their protest against arbitrary regulations and changes in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and alleged norm violations by e-commerce giants, traders across the country will go a day-long strike on Friday.

In a statement, the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) the umbrella body which has called for the strike said that over 8 crore traders belonging to more than 40,000 trade associations across country will observe the 'Bharat Vyapar Bandh' to protest against some of the "draconian, arbitrary and critical" amendments made recently in GST rules.

It will also urge the government to rectify glitches in e-commerce for preventing violation of law by foreign e-commerce companies.

The All India Transport Welfare Association (AITWA) an apex body of 1 crore transporters have already supported the strike and has also announced 'Chakka Jam' of transport sector on Friday all over India.

CAIT Secretary General Praveen Khandelwal said that not only traders but even small industries, hawkers, and women entrepreneurs among others will also join the bandh.

Further, associations of chartered accountants and tax advocates have supported the strike and have informed their clients not to visit their offices on Friday.

Khandelwal further said that on Friday as a mark of protest, 'dharna' will be held in more than 1,500 towns and cities across states and no traders will login to GST portal to register their protest.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.