Chikkaballapur blast: 5 arrested, 2 cops suspended

News Network
February 24, 2021

pot-2.jpg

Chikkaballapur, Feb 24: Five persons were arrested on Wednesday in connection with the blast at a quarry in Hirenagaveli near Gudibande in Karnataka's Chikkaballapur district.

The horrific blast that occurred during a bid to hide explosives from the authorities claimed six lives on Monday night.

Police said Raghavendra Reddy, one of the two partners of the quarry, and employees Venkatashiva Reddy, Praveen, the driver of the Tata Ace used to hide explosives, Mohammed Riyaz Ansari and Madhusudan Reddy were arrested by the police.

Raghavendra Reddy was arrested from Gorantla in the Ananthpur district of Andhra Pradesh. GS Nagaraj, another partner of the quarry and accused number one in the case, is still on the run.

"A complaint was filed against owners of Bhramaravasini Sanders for illegal blasting and storage of explosives. Since the police officials failed to arrest the accused despite complaints, they were suspended." he said.

Six people, including a citizen of Nepal, lost their lives while attempting to cart away explosives hidden around the crusher, hours after a raid by authorities at the facility on February 22.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
April 6,2021

Nazeer Melangady.jpg

Dammam: Nazeer Hussain, aged about 55, residing in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, passed away on April 4 night due to short illness. He had been in Dammam since more than 20 years. He hails from Melangady at Padubidri in Udupi district. He was running a private business in Dammam. 

He was suffering from minor illness for past few days. On April 4th night at around 8pm (Saudi Time), his illness got aggravated and he was immediately taken to the hospital in an ambulance. He breathed his last on the way to Dammam hospital.

He had involved in socio-religious activities including Youngmen's Association Padubidri back at his home town in his early age. He was also active member of PANORAMA Dammam unit. He was friendly & soft spoken person. 

He is survived by his mother, wife and three children (including 2 school going), brothers, sisters, relatives and vast number of friends. 

Now the mortal remains are kept in the morgue of Dammam hospital awaiting legal formalities, which will be probably completed on April 6. Once it's complete, the tadfeen will be done at Dammam cemetery. 

PANORAMA Dammam and Riyadh units and other Mangalorean organizations and well-wishers, friends and Rakwan Co. Khobar, have deeply expressed their commiserations over his sad demise.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
April 1,2021

SPs.jpg

Mangaluru, Apr 1: The government of Karnataka today transferred BM Laxmi Prasad, the superintendent of police of Dakshina Kannada. 

 

Mr Prasad will be taking over as the new SP of Shivamogga, the home district of incumbent chief minister.

Sonawane Rishikesh Bhagawan, who was serving as the SP of Yadgir district will be the new SP of Dakshina Kannada.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
April 10,2021

Bengaluru, Apr 10: Kodihalli Chandrashekar, who is leading the ongoing Karnataka state owned transport employees' strike, has been detained in Belagavi, sources said. 

"Police took Chandrashekar into their custody and are taking him to Bengaluru," sources said.

According to sources in the Belagavi administration, Chandrashekar wanted to meet the Deputy Commissioner of the district, which was not granted.

Angry over it, the leader decided to stage a demonstration there.

The district authorities then detained him and directed that he be sent out of the district.

Meanwhile, fissures seem to have opened among sections of the state owned transport corporation bus employees' federation as the strike over their salary related issues entered the fourth day on Saturday.

The Karnataka government on Friday banned with immediate effect the indefinite strike by employees of the road transport corporations, which affected bus services across the State.

Citing inconvenience caused to the public and that the strike was against provisions of the industrial disputes act, the Labour department issued the ban orders.

The dispute has been referred to the industrial tribunal, Bengaluru for adjudication, it added.

Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa appealed to the employees to resume work, even as he made it clear that it was not possible to meet their demand for wages as per the 6th Pay Commission.

With the government reiterating its stand on wages as per the 6th Pay Commission, RTC employees decided to continue with the strike on Saturday as well.

Kodihalli Chandrashekhar, honorary president of the Karnataka State Road Transport Employees League, said the strike is on and will continue for the fourth day on Saturday.

On Saturday a few union leaders expressed their displeasure over the way Chandrashekhar handled the issue.

The Karnataka Transport Employees Federation has chosen Chandrashekhar as their honorary president to lead their agitation and negotiate with the government for the implementation of the sixth pay commission.

"The strike is continuing, but we are caught in a problem due to the impractical demand. Now we cannot move forward, return backward," the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation union leader K Prakash said.

Chandrashekhar should not have put forth just one demand, which will fizzle out because it cannot be fulfilled in view of the present situation, another union leader said requesting anonymity.

Chandrashekhar was not available for his comment.

There are four state owned transport corporations and all of them have gone on strike demanding salaries on par with the state government employees.

The stalemate has caused inconvenience to the commuters, many of whom alleged that private transporters overcharged for the trips.

The government has sacked trainee and probationary employees of various corporations, including 216 Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation in the past two days for taking part in the agitation.

The government also managed to run 652 buses till 10 am.

Yet, it was way too short of the demand.

The Railways too are operating nine special trains on Saturday.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.