No bird flue in Karnataka; officials asked to maintain utmost caution: Minister

News Network
January 9, 2021

Bengaluru, Jan 9: Karnataka Minister for Animal Husbandry Prabhu Chauhan said there was no case of bird flu (H5N8) reported from any part of the state, however, officials have been asked to maintain utmost caution and alertness.

The State is already on high alert after Bird Flu was reported in two districts of neighbouring Kerala State.

The Minister, who held a high-level meeting of senior officials of various departments concerned, instructed that a meeting under the chairmanship of Deputy Commissioners of respective Districts be held immediately to keep a vigil and take all precautionary measures against the Bird Flu, according to a release from the Minister's office.

Transportation of poultry and its products from Kerala into the state had been totally prohibited, he said.

Bird flu has been reported in parts of Alappuzha and Kottayam, prompting officials to cull birds, including ducks and chicken there.

Deputy Commissioners of the districts in the border have been directed to take preventive measures by holding district-level disease control committee meetings.

Chauhan said directions have also been given to have proper coordination between forest, urban and rural development, and police departments.

Forest officials have been directed to be vigilant about symptoms of flu or unnatural death of birds in Dakshina Kannada, Kodagu, Mysuru and Chamarajanagar districts bordering Kerala, he added.

The Minister also said officials have been asked to maintain utmost care at poultry areas, especially bird sanctuaries and water bodies.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
coastaldigest.com news network
February 28,2021

81239729.jpg

Belagavi, Feb 28: In a bizarre incident, a 30-year-old woman ended up pawning her 'mangalsutra' with the traffic police in Karnataka's Belagavi after the authorities intercepted her along with her husband for riding a motorbike without a helmet. 

The couple, who was visiting the market for buying furniture, was charged with violation of traffic rules and fined for the same. However, the woman, identified as Bharati Vibhooti, said that they had no money and the situation turned into an argument. 

"The police stopped us and took the key of the vehicle. They did not ask for any document and immediately wrote a receipt for Rs 500 as fine," she said in a video that was shared on social media.

She maintained that the couple had exhausted their money. “I told the cops that we had spent the last Rs 100 we had on breakfast, but they insisted that we pay,” she said.

The argument between the cops and the couple reportedly went on for about two hours and bystanders had started gathering. Then, in a fit of rage, the woman handed over her 'mangalsutra' and told the cops to sell it to raise money for the fine. 

Senior police officers passing by the area took stock of the situation and eventually let the couple go.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
February 17,2021

Bengaluru, Feb 17: Opposition leader in the Karnataka Assembly Siddaramaiah has reportedly got Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s nod for his planned Ahinda (Kannada acronym for minorities, backward classes and Dalits) convention.

It was such a convention more than a decade ago that led to his expulsion from the JD(S) and cemented him as the leader of these communities leading to the Congress’ win in the 2013 Assembly polls.

“Issues like the growing demand for reservations from communities and other political developments in the state came up in the meeting. When Siddaramaiah proposed his plan to organise an Ahinda convention, Rahul Gandhi said that he will support any initiative that will strengthen the party in Karnataka,” persons briefed on the meeting said.

Siddaramaiah met Rahul Gandhi in Delhi on Tuesday touching off speculations over the purpose of the meeting. The former CM has kept away from the public campaigns of the Kuruba community seeking ST reservation. He has always projected himself as an upholder of the interests of the backward, minority and SC/ST communities, rather than just Kurubas, the community he belongs to.

“He (Siddaramaiah) apprised the national leader about the state’s political developments and also requested to speed up the reshuffling of KPCC office-bearers in view of the impending bypolls to two Assembly seats and the Belagavi Lok Sabha seat. He also discussed his plans to intensify the farmers’ protest and take it to the gram panchayat level,” the source said.

Siddaramaiah, however, said it was just a “courtesy visit”. Asked about Kurubas’ recent campaign demanding ST status, he said, while he was all for the cause, the timing was wrong. “What was the need for (BJP minister) KS Eshwarappa and other BJP ministers to participate in a rally seeking reservation when their own party is in power both in the state and the Centre,” he asked. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
February 23,2021

There will be no complete lockdown: Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai

Bengaluru, Feb 23: Karnataka Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai has announced a CID probe into the Chikkaballapur quarry blast, where six people were killed on Tuesday.

He said that action will be taken within 24 hours of the submission of an inquiry report.

Six people were killed when the gelatin sticks they were trying to dispose of exploded accidentally at a stone quarry site in a village in Chikkaballapur early on Tuesday, police said. The incident comes close on the heels of a similar blast at a quarry site in Yediyurappa's hometown of Shivamogga on January 22, which left six dead.

Earlier, Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa ordered a probe into the incident. "Directions have been issued to conduct a thorough inquiry and act against those involved," he said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.