London to Kolkata bus service? Yes, it’s real! Viral pics of 1957 make netizens curious

coastaldigest.com web desk
July 2,2020

When the black and white photos of the ‘London to Calcutta (Kolkata) bus service’ went viral on social media recently, the response of some of the netizens was “stop spreading fake news!” But, it isn’t a fake news. The late 1950s indeed offered people a lavish bus trip from London to Kolkata. 

While one of the viral images shows passengers at the Victoria Coach Station, London, boarding 'Albert', the other image show the same bus travelling through a valley. In another image the bus is stationed at a tourist spot. All these photos were captured during the bus’ maiden international journey in 1957.  

An image of the bus ticket is also making rounds on social media, that shows the route of the bus — London, Belgium, West Germany, Austria,Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, West Pakistan, India. The route in India followed Delhi, Agra, Allahabad, Banaras and finally Calcutta.

The ticket shows that a one side travel cost 145 pounds (13,644 Rupees at the present day) back then, and it was inclusive of all the luxury provided during the run.

The luxurious bus provided the facilities of reading, individual sleeping bunks, radio/taped music for parties and pleasure and fan heaters, among other things. The brochure reads, "Your complete home while you travel."

Some of the tour highlights included Banaras on the Ganges, The Taj Mahal, The Raj Path, The Rhine Valley and The Peacock Throne. Passengers reportedly got free shopping days in New Delhi, Tehran, Salzburg, Kabul, Istanbul and Vienna.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

Karnataka | Private hospitals warned of action for violating covid tariffs

News Network
August 7,2020

Bengaluru, Aug 7: Action will be taken against private hospitals that were violating government norms and charging exorbitant fees charges for the treatment of Covid-19 patients and suspects, said Water Resources Minister Ramesh Jarkiholi.

The government has taken action against private hospitals in Bengaluru and the same parameters would be adopted other cities, he said speaking to media persons in Belagavi on Friday.

Jarkiholi said that the government had noticed that patients were levied exorbitant charges for Covid-19 treatment. People too have complaints regarding the huge bills by these private hospitals and have demanded action.

“We are not under the obligation of any private hospital and stringent action will be taken against all erring and violating government tariffs. They will have to treat patients and follow the tariffs fixed,” he stated.

Belagavi Institute of Medical Sciences District Hospital had been directed to install CCTV cameras in Covid-19 wards and install monitors at reception to facilitate monitoring of treatment and condition of the wards. BIMS management was taken to task for not following the directive and have been given a deadline to install CCTV cameras, Jarkiholi informed.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

3,176 new COVID-19 cases in Karnataka

News Network
July 15,2020

Bengaluru, Jul 15: Karnataka on Wednesday reported 3,176 new cases taking the total count of cases in the state to 47,253.

A total of 1,975 new cases were reported from the Bengaluru alone, the state's health department said.

The toll has gone up to 928 with 87 deaths reported today.

The total count of COVID-19 cases in the country is 9,36,181.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.

Parents kill 40-day-old girl child by throwing her into well

coastaldigest.com news network
August 6,2020

Karwar, Aug 6: In a shocking incident, a 40-day-old girl child was murdered by her own parents in Sirsi town in Karnataka’s Uttara Kannada district.

The accused are Priyanka (21) and her husband Chandrashekhar Bhat (42), residents of Ramanakoppa in Sahasrahalli in Yellapur.

According to police, the couple did not want a girl child and hence threw it into a well. The couple was arrested by the police the very next day.

The incident came to light after the child’s maternal uncle, Abhishek Jagadeesh Singh Choudhari, a resident of Rajeev Nagar in Sirsi, lodge a complaint with Yellapur police station. 

He had claimed that his sister Priyanka’s baby had been kidnapped and subsequently killed. 

Priyanka had claimed that she woke up around 2.30am on August 2 to find that her baby, Tanushri, was not in her cradle. Her husband’s family subsequently started searching for the baby, which they found dead inside a well. 

Choudhari suspected that Tanushri had been kidnapped, and had been killed by her abductors to erase any evidence of their crime.

Uttara Kannada superintendent of police Shivaprakash Devaraju constituted a team to crack the crime, and the cops, who subjected the parents to an interrogation, found that they were the culprits.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.