Covid vaccine could be available in early 2021: Karnataka health minister

News Network
October 27, 2020

sudhakar.JPG

Bengaluru, Oct 27: Karnataka health minister Dr K Sudhakar on Tuesday expressed confidence that that a vaccine for COVID-19 would be available early in 2021 and said the government would ensure that it reaches every nook and corner of the state after its launch.

Speaking to reporters after a meeting with AstraZeneca Managing Director Gagan Singh Bedi, he said the first phase of trials of the vaccine were encouraging. "The first phase trial of the vaccine developed by Oxford/AstraZeneca has been completed and has shown encouraging results.

The second and third phase trials are underway," he said. The Minister said Bedi had told him that the company, which was trying to launch the vaccine in the initial months of 2021, had the capacity to supply a billion doses. Once it came out in the market, the Karnataka government would ensure that it was made available "in every nook and corner of the state," he said.

The first set of people to get it would be the Covid frontline warriors like doctors, nurses and paramedics, followed by elderly people with comorbidities, pregnant and lactating women and children, the minister said. To a question, he said the results of the first phase trial were encouraging, with 56 people who were administered the vaccine developing antigens, which has remained intact in them since then.

"We need to wait for six months to see whether the antigens are maintained," Sudhakar said. To a question on the price of the vaccine, he said he did not wish to get into the "controversy" over it and would leave it to the discretion of Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa. He however, maintained that the state had been conducting tests and providing treatment free of cost. "Our government is committed to public health.

We will make sure it reaches all," Sudhakar said. Members of the Karnataka Technical Advisory Committee on COVID-19, as also senior officials and experts on the subject were present during the meeting, the minister said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 30,2020

israel.JPG

The source made the revelation on Monday, saying the weapon collected from the site of the terrorist act bears the logo and specifications of the Israeli military industry.

Iran's Ministry of Defense also said it had obtained "new leads" on the identity of the perpetrators and that the information "will be publicized very soon."

A former head of the Defense Ministry’s Organization of Defensive Innovation and Research, Fakhrizadeh was targeted in an attack involving at least one explosion and machinegun fire in the town of Absard near Tehran.

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted on Sunday that the assassination bears all the hallmarks of the Israeli regime.

The history of Tel Aviv’s sabotage targeting Iran’s nuclear energy program is as old as the program itself.

Many observers believe Israel is not able to carry out such dangerous operations without the prior information and support of the United States which left a landmark nuclear deal with Iran in 2015.

Israel possesses the Middle East’s sole nuclear arsenal estimated to contain at least 200 warheads. The occupying regime maintains a policy of ambiguity concerning its nuclear weapons, neither confirming nor denying publicly that it has the capability.

It also refuses to join the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and does not allow any international inspection of its nuclear weapons program.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 21,2020

Mangaluru, Nov 21: Dakshina Kannada District Congress Committee president Harish Kumar urged the Central and state governments to rename Mangalore International Airport after Koti Chennaya — the twin cultural folk heroes of Tulu Nadu.

Speaking to media persons, Mr Kumar, who is also an MLC said: “The DCC will continue its fight till the Airport is renamed. The Malavoor Gram Panchayat had passed a resolution to rename the Airport after Koti Chennaya four years ago, and had sent it to the DK Zilla Panchayat, which too had passed a resolution and sent to the state government to be sent to the Centre for approval.

“In spite of it, when I raised the issue in the Council in March, the government stated that there was no proposal before the state government. Later, on May 26, 2020, the principal secretary to Department of Infrastructure Development sent a circular to Dakshina Kannada Deputy Commissioner stating that the state government has no role to play in the renaming of the Airport as the airports in Kalaburagi, Hubballi, Mangaluru and Belagavi come under Airports Authority of India and have been given for maintenance to the private firms,” the MLC said.

Further, he urged Dakshina Kannada MP and State BJP president Nalin Kumar Kateel to inform the residents of Mangaluru on the status of the proposal that he had sent to the Centre on naming the Airport after Koti Chennaya.

Adani Group which has taken up maintenance of six airports in India has not changed the name of any airport to Adani Airport except that of Mangaluru. “It is a hidden agenda to name the Airport,’’ he alleged.

Stating that the Congress is not engaged in caste politics, the DCC president accused the BJP government of involving in caste politics by creating corporations and boards for Veerashaiva and Maratha communities when the elections were nearing. Incidentally, over 20 authorities, boards and corporations in the state have no presidents.

He accused the BJP government of engaging in election gimmick in the name of caste and religion.

It was the Congress-led government which set up Narayana Guru Study Centre at Mangalore University, initiated measures to develop Padumale, the birth place of Koti Chennaya and creation of Deyi Baidethi medicinal plants garden on seven acres of land near Puttur.

In a separate press release, KPCC former secretary Rakshith Shivaram also warned of intensifying the protest demanding the renaming of the Airport.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
November 28,2020

YeddyPA.JPG

Bengaluru, Nov 28: Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa’s relative and personal assistant N.R. Santhosh allegedly attempts to commit suicide on Friday evening.

Santhosh, 32-year-old and resident of Dollar’s Colony Bengaluru.

Speaking to reporters, the Chief Minister said, “Doctors stated that he is responding to the medications. He is still not out of danger completely. We are hoping for the best.”

A senior staff member of the CM office said on the condition of anonymity that Santhosh was upset over family issues and reportedly swallowed about a dozen sleeping pills with an intention of committing suicide. “Reason for this action was clearly not yet known and the police are yet to register the case,” the officer added.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.