Bengaluru, Aug 13: A total of seven First Information Reports (FIRs) have been registered by the police in connection with the derogatory Facebook post, attack on the house of Congress MLA Akhanda Srinivas Murthy in Kaval Byrasandra and subsequent violence in DJ Halli and KG Halli police station limits.
According to FIRs registered by DJ Halli and KG Halli police stations, those who indulged in violence were the members of Social Democratic Party of India.
One of the FIRs was registered against MLA’s nephew P Naveen, who allegedly uploaded the blasphemous post on Facebook. The case against him was registered based on the complaint by a social activist Firdous Pasha.
Other six cases have been registered suo motto by the jurisdictional police. The FIR names 22 persons and mentions 300 others without naming them. According to police, at least 16 of 22 persons named in the FIR belong to SDPI.
The persons named in the FIRs are: Abbas, Fairoz, Muzammil, Habeeb, Peer Pasha, Ziya, Kaleem, Kerchief Sadiq, Javeed, Mujju, Sadiq, Vinobhanagar Asif, Govindapura Syed, Farhan, Masood, Saif, Afnan, Ayaz, Allabaksh, Nawaz, Naseer, Syed Ajaj and 300 others.
Charges against Naveen:
* IPC (153) A— promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race or place of birth etc.
* IPC (295) A —deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs.
Charges against others:
* Case under the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act
* Cases under the Karnataka Prevention of Destruction and Loss of Property Act
* IPC (307) - Attempt to murder
IPC (353) - Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty.
IPC(332) & (333) - voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty
IPC (436)- Mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy house etc
IPC (427) - Mischief causing damage to the amount above Rs 50
IPC (143) - Unlawful assembly
IPC (147) - Rioting