India's first-ever COVID Modular ICU Unit start functioning in 10 days: Karnataka Deputy CM

News Network
September 17, 2020

icu.JPG

Bengaluru, Sept 16: Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka CN Ashwatha Narayana on Wednesday announced that India's first-ever COVID Modular ICU Unit will start functioning in the next 10 days at the KC General Hospital at Malleshwaram.

"The new unit comprises of an ICU with 50 beds which have been made using of containers of goods vehicles and ships, and a remote ICU of 50 beds set up in the IPP building located in the hospital premises," Narayana said during his visit to the hospital to inspect the units.

A Bengaluru based company known for developing surgery units and clean rooms has developed this modular ICU.

"This modular ICU unit has been established with the funds generously donated by 11 donors. This set up would help to resolve the shortage of ICU systems of the hospital. Liquid oxygen has been facilitated to all the patients who will be put on ventilators. State of the art monitors will also be installed on each ventilator, now that the government has also given its approval," he added.

Calling it a 'novel' concept, the Deputy chief minister further said that each ICU could be easily carried from one place to another and the maintenance of the unit was easy and adaptable to any sort of climate.

"This has oxygen supply and air condition facilities along with a camera and other features that are essential to enable online treatment. This also includes pure air, sewage, and water facilities. This novel concept of creating an ICU by making use of the containers is in itself a very innovative idea. This ICU module is a testimony to the creativity of our researchers and experts".

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 29,2020

online.jpg

Bengaluru, Oct 29: The department of public instruction has issued a circular which formally fixes the duration for live sessions of online classes. The timetable is based on the report of an expert committee. The circular also warns of disciplinary action against schools that flout the norms.

As reported, S Suresh Kumar, primary and secondary education minister, had announced last week that the government “will soon” implement the expert committee’s report that was submitted in July. The minister had also directed the commissioner of public instruction to issue a circular in this regard.

The circular, dated October 22, has instructed schools to follow a “judicious mix” of live and recorded sessions. Each live online session cannot extend beyond 30 minutes for students till grade 5 and 30-45 minutes for those till grade 10.

Pre-primary classes (3-6 years) can have one session daily thrice a week; grades 1-2 two sessions per day thrice a week; grades 3-5 two sessions daily five days a week; grades 6-8 three sessions daily for five days a week and grades 9-10 four classes daily five days a week. Classes have to be interactive. Presence of parents in the online session is mandatory till class 2.

For pre-primary to grade 2, the content mix has to be play, stories, rhymes and other innovative activities. In grades 3-5, the content has to be 25% curricular and rest co-curricular. In grades 6-8, both curricular and extracurricular should have equal weightage and in 9-10, there should be 75% curricular and 25% co-curricular.

The minister said action will be taken against schools violating these norms as per section 124 (5) of the Karnataka Education Act 1983. The circular states the government issued the circular following media reports that online classes are affecting children’s eyes.

Private schools had launched online classes after schools shut down in March following the nationwide lockdown. On June 15, the Karnataka government banned live online classes for classes LKG to Grade 5, but permitted recorded classes. It announced that an expert committee would be set up to fix modalities for grades 6 and above. On June 27, it issued another order with time restrictions for classes 6-10. A group of parents challenged the order in the high court, which stayed the June 15 and June 27 orders.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 23,2020

udupi.jpg

Udupi, Oct 22: Police have nabbed four-member inter-State chain snatchers and seized worth Rs seven lakh stolen chains in the city.

Police said that the arrested belonged to the notorious Irani gang and they have been identified as Zakir Hussain (26), Kambar Rahim Mirza (32), Akshay Sanjay Gosavi (22) and Shahrukh Bandenawaz Sheikh (24) from Srirampura in Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra.

The gang members used to pick up conversation with men and women walking lonely, mostly elder citizens, and mislead them by saying some disturbance was taking place in the nearby and ask them to keep all the valuables which they are wearing in their bag and in the process rob the valuables. They have snatched valuables in this way in several places in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Delhi.

They were wanted in one case each in Mangalore, Udupi, Kundapur, Bantwal, Chikkamagaluru and Vijayapura.

Police have also seized one car, a bike and cash of Rs 5,100 from them.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
October 21,2020

yed.png

Ballari, Oct 21: Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa on Wednesday conducted an aerial survey of flood-affected areas in four districts of the state and said additional funds would be released after holding discussions with officials.

"Already funds have been allotted to the flood-affected districts and more will be released after holding a meeting with the officials," the Chief Minister said.

He was talking to reporters before boarding a special plane from Jindal Vijayanagar Airport here to conduct an aerial survey of Kalaburagi, Vijayapura, Raichur and Yadgir districts, to assess the damage caused by the heavy rains last week.

Yediyurappa was accompanied by Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai, Animal Husbandry Minister Prabhu Chauhan and the Commissioner of Karnataka Disaster Management Authority Manoj Rajan during the aerial survey.

River Bhima, a tributary of river Krishna that originates in Maharashtra, had wreaked havoc in Vijayapura, Kalaburagi, Yadgir and Raichur districts due to the torrential rain in the catchment areas for the past 10 days.

Yediyurappa said heavy rains and floods have caused inundation in several villages in Kalaburagi and Vijayapura districts, damaging crops and houses.

To a query, the chief minister said a central team would carry out an inspection after the state government submits the complete report, which may take at least four to five days.

He, however, maintained that the Prime Minister was aware of the prevailing situation and has assured him of assistance.

Later talking to reporters at Kalaburagi after the aerial survey, the Chief Minister said he cannot make any fresh announcements due to the model code of conduct in place in the state in the wake of MLC elections and bypolls to two assembly segments -- Sira in Tumakuru and Rajarajeshwari Nagar in Bengaluru urban district.

He said he has sought a detailed report from officials during a meeting with them and gave them necessary directions.

The Chief Minister said he has asked the officials to supply drinking water in Kalaburagi, the district headquarter town, as the water pipeline has been damaged.

"We will make sure that there is no water scarcity for which we will hire more tankers. Electricity and water will be restored and all the roads will be repaired.

All the other important services will be restored in the next few days," the Chief Minister said.

Yediyurappa said he had asked the officials to make sure that no communicable disease spreads in the flood-hit areas.

In addition to it, there should be adequate supply of food and medicines, in the relief camps, so that people do not go through any hardship.

When asked about the extent of damage, the Chief Minister said he has sought a detailed report, which may take at least three to four days.

However, he said, 43,000 people in 14 Taluks of the four flood-hit districts are affected.

Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai who was accompanying the Chief Minister, said a joint survey by the state government and Central government officials has to be conducted to assess the actual damage. 

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.